Coffin Rock

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Coffin Rock

Post by jonbly »

This was well made and well played, but it just felt a bit too normal for the Fest.

6/10
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Yeh wasnt a horror at all but Sam Parsonson did an excellent job as the unhinged Evan. Excellent job on the accent too. Wasnt the husband (Rob) the same guy who was in Storm Warning a few Fests back?
goregoregirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by goregoregirl »

A bit by the books story wise, but the performances made up for it I think, especially Sam Parsonson who was really great as Evan. Another strong Aussie offering, along with The Horseman.
Tommy-Boy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Tommy-Boy »

Hmmmm not really horror and a pretty predictable plot but the performances lifted the whole thing. Didnt love it, didnt hate it but quite liked it.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Very slow but like Hierro I thought this was a decent thriller and worth watching.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Quite liked this one - and it's growing on me. Though as with Hierro, I didn't think it was actually a Frightfest movie. I know the genre net casts pretty wide but it doesn't include everything. It's also been annoying me ever since I saw it, that it reminds me of another movie and I cannot remember which one. But it's well worth seeing.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Had a good setting with a good psycho character. In all nothing special.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I liked this, maybe if I'd just seen it on it's own and not at Fright Fest, I might not have liked it so much, but after seeing Dead Snow and Human Centipede, I was in the mood for something a bit more serious and nasty, and this nicely delivered. To start with I thought Evan looked too much like a kid and could never be scary, but he was a proper evil bastard by the end. Was thiking about skipping it, but by the end was glad I'd seen it.

And yeah the guy playing Rob was the guy from Storm Warning, he always seems to end up playing a total doofus that guy!
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

I didn't mind this - it was well-acted an' all, but the ending ruined it for me. They shouldn't have given away the results and just finished with the husband looking out to sea. At the end of the day, she had fucked someone else: a nutter who then tried to kill her friend and actually murdered someone else. The fact that there was a possibility of reconciliation - so soon after the events - really changed the feel of the film at the end. They should have left it completely open, where we have no idea what's in store for the characters. The ending felt too obvious.
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

I enjoyed this thoroughly, great acting from the antagonist with a well rounded script though sometimes it felt to slow and you wanted it to move on.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I mean it was OK - but that actor made the main character so bloody unappealing he made my flesh crawl and I didn't really like to even look at him. 5/10
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
fd
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by fd »

Did not like ths at all. All the main characters were so unappealing that it came across as an extreme episode of Jeremy Kyle.

I was going to comment during the Q&A that it was good that the actor guy played him as a pyscho all the way through and there was no character development, but it occurred to me that maybe it was not deliberate that he'd done that. ;)

Probably worthwhile including in the line-up, just not anything above average for me.
macready
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by macready »

A decent enough psychological thriller, but it did seem a little out of place at FF. A shame that the lead actor said he was basically unemployed right now, thought he was very effective.
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

This was a another really good entry in this years event , i am loving the new Aussie wave of Horror.
What i fail to understand is how people can say it's not a Horror movie!?
It is a horror movie without doubt to me, i mean how could you say dead snow , human centipede, trick r treat , etc are horror and this isnt?
It is more of a traditional typical horror than those.

The only problem i had with the film was that the boy started off with a decent job in a clinic smartly dressed and seemingly normal. Surely if he was that desperate gor a girlfreind he would have had a far better chance of finding one by chatting one up in that postition.
Rather than leaving his job, living in a trailer park and becoming a complete psycho.
Still i guess it was a plot requirement
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

I really enjoyed this, it took me back to the days of Misery, Pacific Heights, Single White Female and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle.

Bloody great film, can't wait to see it again.

It's interesting to watch it and see how much you can empathise/sympathise with Evans character by watching the flashbacks of what has gone on.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"