The Hills Run Red

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
steve806
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by steve806 »

Reasonably well made, but ultimately derivative and for me did not have anything to make it stand out from the other 84 million slasher movies of the last 20 years.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Nothing too original but pretty good with some decent kill sequences.
dnky666
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by dnky666 »

All in all quite a pedestrian experience. No-one to blame but myself as I had hyped myself up for this one. Will I never learn to avoid blogs prior to Frightfest.

It wasn't awful it wasn't amazing.

It was just a bit "meh".

As for the mask that is a straight rip from Gilliam's Brazil. As worn by Michael Palin during the torture sequence.

I do feel though that one day David J. Schow will pen the ultimate slasher. Perhaps it is time he got to write AND direct AND have final uncensored cut.
i-went-to-frightfest
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by i-went-to-frightfest »

nothng outstanding about it...but just fun and enjoyable in a slasher movie kinda way
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

I wasn't too keen on this one - bad performances and too much quick-cut editing that's become so prominent in horror films today ruined it for me. It had moments, but not many.

At the end of the film I spent more time trying to figure out how the killers managed to film the night-time murders with a 8mm (or was it 16mm?) cine-camera in virtually no light then actually enjoying the gore and violence. That's not a good sign is it?
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
philwheat
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by philwheat »

Whilst the plot maybe typical stalk and slash fare - a bunch of teens go into the woods and are stalked by a crazed mask-wearing killer - replete with the cliches of the genre, including lashings of violence and female nudity, the film differs from the traditional slasher movie by melding the genre conventions with a post modern twist... The movie has a very nasty streak running through it’s short 81 minutes running time, director Dave Parker has really pushed the envelope in all aspects, and unlike many slasher movies has toned down the comedy which together make for a refreshing change... The Hills Run Red is a roller coaster ride for horror fans everywhere. Why an excellent horror flick such as this is going direct to DVD when it’s far superior to the majority of the dreck that plays at the multiplex these days I do not know.

You can read my full review here and check out my interview with director Dave Parker here.
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

I thought this was by far the most enjoyable film of the first day. Good killer, decent idea and i can imagine giving it another couple of watches.

Loved babyface talking, best moment of the first day for me.
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

An enjoyable film and i liked the way it turned a lot of the cliches of typical slasher movies on their head.
Not amazing but one i would watch again.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Some strong scenes (although in places it did seem to be cut) and many references to other movies. Perhaps tried to be too clever for its own good though. 7.5/10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Does anyone know how to contact the play.com photographer type people...

Paul took my photo with the young lady from this feature and well lets just say... Paul shouldn't go into direct or the tall people will have no heads in the shot :lol:

I did spot a play person taking a photo at the same time, well someone with a play tshirt so was hoping they'd have it :)

Tee Hee... may appear on the website so I can wait... :D
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

"You can keep singing if it makes you feel better" - best bit in the film, freaked the crap out of me!
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
micodler
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by micodler »

This one was dreadful, the worst horror film ever made.
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

puppy i think they were the frightfest volounteers so i would hope that the pictures that they took will be popping up on the site soon.
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

Yep, all the guys in the Play tshirts were the volunteers.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
fd
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by fd »

If this was only half as clever or enjoyable as Leslie Vernon then fair play, but it got nowhere near being the alleged great commentary on this as it thought it was. The "let's stay in the city as only bad things happen in the woods" monologue, "the cell phones don't work" nod and all that stuff was not hlaf as clever as it appearred to think it was

Not a abd efforst and the ".. if it makes you feel better" was very, very good, but overall didn't offer much to me.

May actually have made it a better film if the pregnancy was explained by the cut rape sequence (I can't believe I'm endorsing a forced sex scene being included). Ironically (given the subject matter), it may be great publicity for them to publicise that there is a more "complete" version somewhere .....