Blu Ray thread

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Spencer
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Blu Ray thread

Post by Spencer »

I know there are loads of blu ray review sites out there but wondered if people would be interested in sharing thoughts on discs they have bought regarding pic quality etc ?
I ask cause I got the remake of the Hills Have Eyes last week and although the daylight scenes are amazing the night scenes are awful and it actually looks like it is snowing in the desert !! Conversely the blu of Texas Chainsaw Massacre (a film 30 years older than Hills) looks absolutely stunning from start to finish

or I am just being a huge fucking geek that should shut up and go sit at the back of the class? :D
http://twitter.com/roughtradeshops

http://lastblogontheleft2.wordpress.com/
Giz
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Giz »

My friend,we are all fucking geeks on here,if thats what loving music,film and games in excessive quantitys does,I'm in!

Good idea for a new thread,go to the front of class!
Feed her!
Hello Doris!
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Hello Doris! »

And don't forget to collect your gold star!

Mr O knows a good site to compare DVDs on - he will at some point reply I am sure.
If only we were amongst friends... or sane persons!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

try www.dvdcompare.net

i have to say im not impressed with BR i think its a product that fails in some ways to live up to its expectations.
new films look great but its not really being used in the best way.

avoid one missed call BR no sound options and no extras at all,i only paid £3 and that is too much.
its all fancy packaging with lenticular covers to get that product purchased.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
orlovsky
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by orlovsky »

www.blu-ray.com is a pretty decent guide as to reviews/region locking of discs. One quick warning though - don't touch the BR transfer of The French Connection with a f*cking barge pole - it's practically unwatchable in places. And this is by design! :(
"I see the bad moon arising.."
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i did read that the exorcist is being redone for bluray and its only going to be the redone version with the spiderwalk inserted.
they need to release both versions not just one.
and freidkin needs to get Sorcerer finally released onto BR & dvd.
fd
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by fd »

DVDCompare is good for comparing different regions' features, but not good to tell you about the quality of the discs.

www.dvd-basen.dk used to be great for finding reviews when you type a film title in, I've not used it for a while.

www.dvdbeaver.com (careful now ;) ) has some great comparisons between versions to show picture quality, etc.

I personally rate the opinions on www.landofwhimsy.com as he seems to know what he's talking about in terms of DVD/blu transfers.

www.hidefdigest.com is good for US based opinions.
Spencer
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Spencer »

I know those sites are cool and use some but there is nothing better than interacting (virtually !) someone and them telling you to 'avoid the french connection with a fucking bargepole!!!'. I have to say I am addicted to my Blu ray and like I say Texas Chainsaw looks stunning on it, ditto The Thing which frankly is astonishing , it's like watching a brand new film! Older films can take on a whole new life is treated correctly look at planet of the apes & dirty harry)
The UK 'let the right one in' is excellent too, PQ is awesome and it has the correct theatrical subtitles not to mention a great commentary missing from the US version.

Dis anyone pick up switchblade romance or near dark on blu ?

Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i was told that switchblade romance has zero extras :?:
i have to ask whats the point if this is true,the standard dvd has extras,this is hardly encouraging people to buy the BR format,but its the blockbusters that sell the most.
fd
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by fd »

Yeah, sorry, trotting out the sites didn't really address your point. ;)

Meant to highlight the land of whimsy one as he really seems to "get" a lot of the image manipulation stuff on digital transfers, so I respect the opinions shown. DVDBeaver has sometimes been a bit misguided. :)

Sometimes with extras it's a matter of rights and/or payments (like Schwarzengeer getting $50k for the Total Recall commentary). Is Haute Tension caught up in the Tartan Metrodome (?) going bust thing as that could explain something about it ?

At least you know what the Dead Snow blu transfer is like if you were there on Sunday morning. Looked pretty good on a big screen to me ! ;)

edit - oops meant to ask whether you can pick up Day Watch with the theatrical subtitles anywhere as I really miss those on the UK DVD release !
Spencer
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Spencer »

Grindhouse wrote:try www.dvdcompare.net

i have to say im not impressed with BR i think its a product that fails in some ways to live up to its expectations.

Really ? I am shocked what movies have not impressed you ?

Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

I 'ad a bluray thread somewhere.. .got lazy and it died lol... listed all the current and future FF Booray releases and region lol
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Spencer wrote:
Grindhouse wrote:try www.dvdcompare.net

Really ? I am shocked what movies have not impressed you ?
one missed call for one.

kingdom of heaven i really love this movie and have the r2 and r1 versions and this br has no extras from the 4 disc sets and could have easily coped with all of it.

the shawshank isnt widescreen,yet standard dvd and laserdisc is.

its great that the price of discs is coming down and making the format more accessable but it would just be good to see more effort put into the packaging and put the extras on the discs.
Spencer
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Spencer »

grindhouse that's your own fault for buying one missed call :wink: 8)

this is what I mean about a thread for it good to know who got what and how good it is I sat and watched Poltergeist last night and it looked amazing, just the right amount of rain but so much detail it really is like watching it for the first time.

Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Spencer wrote:grindhouse that's your own fault for buying one missed call :wink: 8)

this is what I mean about a thread for it good to know who got what and how good it is I sat and watched Poltergeist last night and it looked amazing, just the right amount of rain but so much detail it really is like watching it for the first time.
hey i never said it wasnt,at least i didnt pay full price for it.