films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Yes, I hope things are moving for P now, it deserves to be seen by a wider audience. Tonight Paul is screening the film for the head of Sahamongkol Film, who are the biggest distributors in Thailand, so it will be interesting to hear how that goes and whether he can now secure a domestic release over here.

The BKKIFF finished yesterday... I've seen a few more films in the last few days but found it increasingly difficult to get tickets, or schedules changed at the last minute. I saw Oscar contenders TRANSAMERICA and GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK and another Belgian thriller called THE INTRUDER which was okay.

I also went to a lively Q&A with Willem Dafoe and a Thai film directors panel where Ekachai Uekrongtham (director of BEAUTIFUL BOXER which got a UK release by Tartan last year) announced he's working on a supernatural thriller called THE COFFIN.

Yesterday I noticed that TOM YUNG GOOMG - the follow up to ONG BAK - has just been released here on a 2-disc DVD set, alas (as is becoming increasingly commonplace for the Thai studios) the domestic DVD release is without English subtitles...
First things first, stay calm.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

I've just been to a screening of a French film called 36 Quai des Orfèvres...

Got to say it's one of the best French films I've seen in ages - yes, much better than the recent Cache..

Starring Daniel Auteill and Gerard Depardieu, 36... is like French version of Michael Mann's Heat.. very stylish, very well performed with a cracking script..

Ok, there may be a little too much use of the excellent score, but overall it's a top 5 star film, and will be released by Tartan very soon..
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Yeah 36 is great isn't it, I loved the way no one was black or white, the good guys had bad points and the bad guys had good points. I agree it's much better than Hidden.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

the reamde Fog is either like having some one piss in your eyes or its the spoof of teen horror flicks that Scary Movie 3 wished it was

its hilarious

THHE again next week :) plus the week after theres V for Vendetta which apparently isnt the slo mo mindless action that the trailer insultingly sells it as (will it still be as politically relevant as the original GN- the potential is high)
"Just what the world needs; a schizophrenic toaster!"
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I watched 'Deadly Friend' again for the first time in years.

That basketball scene is outrageous.

They should have more scenes like that in horror nowadays, and less scary girl ghosts with long black hair.
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

I cannot believe someone else likes Deadly Friend! I've always had a bit of a soft spot for that film and even forced my daughter to watch it.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

BB is coming to get you
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I want to go and see the Hills Have Eyes remake this weekend, but my mates are all saying no as there's talk of loads of rape in it.

Has anyone actually seen this?

If so, is this true?
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

u seen the original?
there was off camera rape in that too
this time it may be on camera as it was cut from 40 seconds to some thing like 15 seconds
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Has anyone seen Takashi Miike's The Great Yokai War yet? I'm just wondering whether to order the R3 DVD or not... after seeing Izo I'm little wary of his recent work...
First things first, stay calm.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Stay. Pointless and dull nonsense.

The Fog. Even worse, though there's one half-decent scare effect (as with the original, it's the reanimating corpse bit). There are whole chunks of dialogue taken verbatim from the original. I picked up the score CD (by Graeme Revell) and it's pretty poor as well.
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by ghouldrool »

the calamari wrestler

err.. this was hilarious and by far the oddest oddball flick from japan ive seen since The Weather Woman

the worlds fakest calamari man interupts the japan championship wrestling and becomes a cult hero spurring japan to live again through wrestling.. the former champ decides to mutate into an equally fake looking octopus but still loses to calamari then trains calamari to take on his latest challenger The Squilla Boxer

Calamari reverts back to human form whenever he gives into fear or desire...and in calamari form is amusingly goggle eyed.. what sold me on this one was the picture on the DVD box of Calamri wandering through a market with a shopping bag on his tentacle doing his shopping

its insane though about 10 mins too long and clearly aimed at a family audience
ghouldrool
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

the proposition

Post by ghouldrool »

the proposition.. wow... this was really brutal and i know that word really has been over used latley

the environments are suitably lonesome and squalid, the people weathered and fly ridden, the gore is nasty and all round the performances are good except maybe for the eldest brother, tho this film belongs to Ray Winstone in the best form ive seen him in since Nil By Mouth.....
highly recommended

however i cant bring myself to recommend a different sort of "western"
Witchfinder General.. sorry but like blood on satans claw this just did not live up to expectations... the story is slight and feeble, not enough Vincent Price or enough of Hopkins villany.. it just takes too long to get going then stops all of a sudden...and ian oglivys quest for revenge seems OTT as the fervour he exhibits is more suited to avenging a wife or child not the local vicar.. a remake of this would be welcome,
does anyone else find those coffin boxes from anchor bay a bit irritating ?
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Hey you guuuuyyyyssss!!

Post by STun »

Watched a late night showing of Goonies last night at my local cinema.

Great stuff.

One of my fave movies growing up. God, did I want to be in that gang. Hehe.

I forgot how funny Sloth and Chunk were, and the 80s soundtrack and clothing are top!

Also has anybody been to Dead By Dawn before in Scotland? I'm thinking about going as its straight after my exams, and one of my mates works at the cinema there.

Am gonna go see hostel again tonight. Roll on the torn achilles tendon scene...
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

THE PINK PANTHER. Actually it's not really a remake, rather another episode in the series with an all-new cast painfully failing to fill their predecessors' boots. Steve Martin is wrong, Kevin Kline (subbing for the immortal Herbert Lom) is wrong, the music (despite incorporating the PP Theme) is wrong... It isn't funny and it doesn't work. This movie didn't need to be made. How did it take three studios - Fox, MGM and Columbia - to foul this one up?

BASIC INSTINCT 2. This is bloody awful and then some, though I think it's fair to say we all knew this wasn't going to be a great piece of cinema. I don't want to go into details because I'll just start shaking and foaming at the mouth or something, but it isn't thrilling and it isn't erotic, which in an erotic thriller is two deficiences too many. It isn't even dirty, disreputable smut/filth. It's dull. It's incomprehensible. It doesn't even look good. Paul Verhoeven's original, 14 years ago, was glossy, slick and fast-paced flash trash, gleefully layering the overheated sex and grisly violence with a trowel. Everything this isn't.