films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

The I know what you did last summer remake... Sorority Row was no where near as good as the original which I REALLY liked.... review is in me blog (Link below)
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

I'm currently watching Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Terence Stamp is awesome in this.
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

I have never seen this movie. I must remedy that.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

feggie wrote:I'm currently watching Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Terence Stamp is awesome in this.
Great movie - I remember thinking Terence Stamps character was a dead ringer for Sheila Hancock :)
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Smash Cut wow this is so much fun to watch i had a blast watching this,really liked its score, the opening credit sequence and its feel for HG Lewis movies,cmon folks this isnt a bad movie Scar 3D thats a bad movie,Gnaw thats an even worse movie.
This to me was just a fun movie and all the reviews of it from FFX saying how bad it was take it too seriously,roll on Terror Toy,and i hope Able Whitman makes a comeback from the grave :D
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

The Unborn turned up off my rental list. While it was quite derivative, glossy tosh, it wasn't half as bad as I'd been expecting.
It had a couple of jump-scares that got me every bit as good as Raimi's superb Drag Me to Hell and Gary Oldman could be the new Anthony Hopkins if he keeps doing these kinda things!
Don't know if I missed something though, or if I'm just a bit dim - but what was the deal with all the upside-down heads? Kiddies, old people, even dogs? What was all that about anyone?

And the female lead looked like the daughter me and Jennifer Connelly might have, if ever my restraining order gets lifted! :D
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Is it just me, or is Sorority Row* the dumbest, stupidest, idioticest slasher movie imaginable? Quite apart from it being leery and ogling in the most shamelessly sexist tradition - even the poster artwork is basically drawing your eyes to to selection of cleavages on display. If it had been in 3D I wouldn't have been able to focus on anything for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, it's got the worst script and dialogue we've heard in.... well, about a fortnight now that we've seen Giallo. I can't actually remember much about the original The House On Sorority Row but I do know it was better than this, which seems closer to being a reboot of the I Know Blah Blah Blah Last Summer idea, and the mystery killer's motives are frankly ludicrous (I won't spoil it). I'm not sure whether they wanted a generic kill-the-pretty-people slasher movie (in which regard it's functional and does the job) or a slasher comedy, in which case it's an abject failure as the dialogue just comes across as stupid: if the comedy is intentional and knowing, it doesn't work, and if it isn't intentional then it's just lousy writing.

* If I knew when it was on, I'd tune in to Film 2009 just to hear Jonathan Ross take a crack at the title.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

streetrw wrote: if it isn't intentional then it's just lousy writing.
Told the director that last night on twitter... :oops: Really enjoyed the direction of the last 40 minutes when they found out they were on the chopping block BUT the poor fella just didn't have much material to work with :(
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Amazon women on the moon not sure why this passed me by but,it has some funny sketches to make this worth checking out.
trailer park of terror,i was underwhelmed by this at ff2008 but on viewing it again its a much better film than i thought,some quite nasty scenes and great make up fx,and its rather cheap to pick up from online stores.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Grindhouse wrote:Amazon women on the moon not sure why this passed me by but,it has some funny sketches to make this worth checking out.
Yes its pretty good - I have a well-worn VHS copy of this one.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Really enjoyed Whiteout - although todays newspaper reviews are pretty low! - and think it would make an excellent double-bill with The Thing on Tuesday... :D
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

thankfully I skipped a visit to see Sorority Row this week, and glad I did as Kimblebee said it was the worst film she'd ever seen, and the repsonse from this thread has been less than flattering also..

Got Zombie Club today (yay - see below on our line-up!) and then District 9 on Sunday :D

Alien From The Deep
Alien Terror
Yor Hunter From The Future
Beast in Space
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Yeah, Sorority Row was definitely in the top 5 worst films of all time for me - you could see it was trying to be funny, but just fell flat on its face. A glossy movie with an attractive cast and some nice jumps (Albeit cheap ones), but that wasn't enough for me to enjoy it...

There is a fair amount of female nudity though if any guys out there need any convincing to see it in order to kill some time... :-)
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

sherbetbizarre wrote:Really enjoyed Whiteout - although todays newspaper reviews are pretty low!
I meant the ratings were pretty low :)

And after talking to some people and reading more online, I am DEFINITELY the only person who enjoyed this movie! :oops:
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Caught Dorian gray/grey?! in basingstoke last night with my mate. It's was our little get together.

The first half was very light for me, but when the second half really got going. Then i enjoyed myself. (apart from the three old hags constntly talking just behind me! :evil:

I have the book, but have always been put off from reading it. (it took me years, and i mean years to pluck up the courage to read phantom of the opera) but according to my friend, they did shrink alot of the story(no surprise). Colin firth and ben chaplin were very good in it, but ben barnes steals it from under them. I thought that Rachel Hurd-Wood may have been in it longer? like the character in the book.

A good film though, opted this over white-out and Sorority Row. And i stand by my decision.

I wonder what's next on the block seen as this was done by ealing studios, the same behind landis's 'burke and hare'?