films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Gamer - Good Idea but it's just a soulless version of The Running Man :(
Drag Me To Hell girl was in it though... so worth the watch for that alone :D
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Black Sun not a horror film but horrific,from TF Mou director of men behind the sun,newsreel footage mixed with acting to show the atrocities and massacre of the residents of nanking,not an easy watch and is shocking.
i put this on my list after watching escape from huang shi,a cracking movie and well worth watching with a great cast.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
kitkat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by kitkat »

Over the last two weeks I have been gorging on all the films I have missed recently at the cinema.

The Hurt Locker- stunning, absolutely wonderful war film and probably my favourite of the year so far.
Mesrine Part two: not as good as the first half of the Mesrine double bill, but definately worth a watch.
The Final Destination- once the excitement of the 3d wore off I was bored and found the whole thing a little repetitive and trite. That said I was never much of a fan of the franchise to start with.
Broken Embraces- beautiful drama from Almodovar which, for me personally, was one of his best as I have often found some of his films alittle too over sentimental.
Sorority Row- what can I say! I'll never get those 90 minutes back.
FisH Tank- bleak and depressing but absolutely gripping and Michael Fassbender is superb in it.
and the piece de resistance:

The Thing- loved this film on DVD, loved it even more on the big screen. Enjoyed it so much that I went back to see it again on Friday night.

Am now about to watch S darko on pay per view- know I'll regret it but it has to be done as the original was so sublime.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

re: S Darko - yes you did regret it didn't you. It's awful.
philwheat
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by philwheat »

I've just watched Cameron Romero's Staunton Hill - which I think is the first movie to come close to TCM in terms of backwoods horror... it's better than a lot of dad George's output! So not to spoil it for anyone, you can click here for my complete thoughts.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Saw Beyond the Valley of the Dolls at BFI Southbank. One of my fave films, so it was great to see it on the big(ish) screen.

Friday the 13th (remake) - very bland.
PatrolDave
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by PatrolDave »

The Hurt Locker- stunning, absolutely wonderful war film and probably my favourite of the year so far.
I agree. Intense stuff.
I have a trailer and everything;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1S-qvSjrY
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

a double bill day for me,which was going to kick off with final destination,but ended up in the wrong screen and saw The Firm,Nick Love makes a film thats mature, has nick love grown up a bit? with the firm he seems to have shown,a side of his direction that has improved.
gone is the glamourous side of the violence that was in the business football factory & outlaw and in comes direction and story telling which has more to say than the usual danny dyer patter,from which hes been accustomed too.
a soundtrack of 80s music at times does seem out of chronological order for its age of setting.
Paul Anderson is chilling as Bex a monster on screen and eats up the screen but its the tale of dom a boy lost between childhood & manhood looking to find more than what he's used to and a role model other than his father who works hard and holds down a job,and the rise of the thatcherite greed of the 80s where money was easy and the pickings were good,for those on the up and up.
a twist of fate set him free from a lifestyle of hooligansim that he found himself getting deeper and deeper into beyond his depth,well worth watching and a suprising turn of direction from nick love.
Dorian Gray
a welcome returen from Ealing studios and if DG is anything to go by roll on Burke & Hare,very enjoyable with great set design worth watching,but i still like Stuart Townsends portrayal of dorian gray from LXG
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Just gone through my Friday The 13th Box-set, disregarding number 5 of course. I'm also quite comfortable knowing Jason would kick Michaels arse any day, what a pussy! :mrgreen:

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Dorian Gray. Looked really good with regards to setting and costumes. The best actor in it was Colin Firth surprisingly. The lead, did not had much charisma to make you believe he is Dorian Gray. Was let down by a CGI mess at the end. Yep also the steps by the ICA.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

If you want to be picky, The Scorpion King: Rise Of A Warrior is actually the prequel to the spinoff from the sequel to the remake of the 1932 The Mummy. Curiously enough, it isn't very good although it passed the evening just about acceptably. It's the adventures of the young Matthias (played by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in The Scorpion King) seeking vengeance for his father's death at the hands of an evil king; and journeying into the underworld to retrieve a mighty sword that is the only weapon that can kill the evil king. He's assisted by a cute babe in Xena-esque leather battle armour running away from her imminent marriage to a sheep farmer, and a poet with an English accent who runs away from all the fighting. Directed by Russell Mulcahy, but it doesn't show.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

yesterdays double bill started with Whiteout which for its talent behind the screen wasnt bad at all,slightly hampered by its lack of story and could,have been better,but it does have great set design,and you cant help but notice that the camp its based in.from the outside looks like the Nostromo ship from alien.
The Final Destination 2D my second film and another where i have the screen to myself,it feels like the least of the FD movies,rushed with a poor script that coasts along all to quickly,the deaths arent as inventive as they once were and the 3D effects only feel like a poor gimmick none of the others were 3D so why bother with this one?
dvaid r ellis keeps the snake images coming,yes we get that he did SOAP and it has clips of longkiss goodnight showing in the cinema.
i prefer the 3rd one best of all,and if thet cant keep up to that standard then let this be the final, final destination.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Maniacal wrote:Just gone through my Friday The 13th Box-set, disregarding number 5 of course.
Five is one of my favourites!!
"The suspect is armed with a machete in one hand, and his genitals in the other."
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Grotesque is just that and it not worth the effort typing anything more to say about it,as there is nothing good to say in its defence.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

xLeft For Deadx wrote:
Maniacal wrote:Just gone through my Friday The 13th Box-set, disregarding number 5 of course.
Five is one of my favourites!!
The only portion that coaxed a smile and a small laugh was the random nut case with the axe who proceeded to chop the fat boy up for offering him a Twix. Hilarious.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011