films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Zombieland is a lot of fun... but lightweight when it comes to the zombie epidemic... the directer was way more interested in laughs than horror. It's very good, but I was hoping for more a balance.

Alternately Halloween II is all horror and little in the way of "fun" (McDowell's Loomis still makes me smile though) It's a dark, grainy, brutal movie, but it's also nuts - Laurie is trying to forget her past horrors, yet sleeps every night under a giant Charles Manson poster!?

It took me a some viewings to like Zombie's first Halloween, which I saw a few times due its different edits --

But will I be watching this again..?

Yes!

Sure, there's no one to really root for... no, there's no real story either... but for me it played like a dark brooding nightmare, a trippy slab of buzzing noise, and something to watch if you're in a really bad mood (In a good mood? Go see Zombieland!)

So I can understand people hating this - but for me I rate it as highly as Zombieland and found it the more satifying movie.

And I bet I'm the only freak to say that this weekend :wink:

Oh, for the most part, I ignored the white horse.
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

feggie wrote:Up - I cried like a baby on three seperate occasions. Loved this film so much.
Three times? I only managed 2. I saw this back in June in America and loved it - although the montage near the start was devestating. That was thye bit that made me cry the most.

Recently I've had the pleasure of seeing

The Hurt Locker - finally found a cinema near me that was showing this andit was thoroughly worth the wait. Great acting and almost unbearably tense at times.

Zombieland - way better that I was expecting. Decent amounts of gore and laughs. Was good to see Woody Harrelson back on form. Highly recommended
thesavageintruder
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by thesavageintruder »

A really good week for movies at the cinema. I agree with the general consensus on Zombieland - it's fun and a witty mix of banter, pathos and light gore. The loopy set piece with Bill Murray is sublime and Jesse Eisenberg confirms the talent shown in Adventureland...even if his status as the new Michael Cera might be thwarted by the fact that the old Michael Cera is still around.
I feel lonely in my fondness for Halloween II. Zombie's first go-round with the franchise was a grower and its main flaw (the awkward part-prequel, part-overly-faithful-remake structure) is ironed out this time. I love the new take on Loomis as a cynical media whore, I really like the harsh brutality of the murders, and it's awesome to see Brad Dourif in a such a sympathetic, non-loopy role. The hallucinogenic dream sequences worked for me and it's impressive that Zombie refuses to follow the bland sequel formula...a blandness that crippled the 80's version of "Halloween II". Genuinely eerie ending and refreshing to see a slasher sequel that is more interested in showing the IMPACT of previous events on surviving characters than it is in introducing a bus load of new teenagers to be knifed. Also, any movie that casts the batshit crazy Margot Kidder as a shrink deserves some kudos...
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Donnie Darko,saw this last night for the 2nd time and i still have no idea whats going on in this,i dont have the directors cut yet but will seek that out although the music tracks are different in the Drs cut,as my version is now oop.
great film and fabulous music choices.
if your a ryan phillipe fan then this a great movie,Mike Myers acts brilliantly as the club owner,in the late 70s early 80s disco storm of clubland new york,Salma Hayek is gorgeous and another movie with great music tracks.
Jackie Brown
finally bought the dvd,and watched this again probably my favourite QT movie,the laserdisc is ws,the dvd is fullscreen,i love the intro sequence played to bobby womacks across 110th street,to pam grier.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Spencer
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Spencer »

Saw Le Donk last night in Islington , very , very funny. Paddy C is nuts in this , good lightweight fun....
http://twitter.com/roughtradeshops

http://lastblogontheleft2.wordpress.com/
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

thesavageintruder wrote: A really good week for movies at the cinema. I agree with the general consensus on Zombieland - it's fun and a witty mix of banter, pathos and light gore. The loopy set piece with B M is sublime and Jesse Eisenberg confirms the talent shown in Adventureland...even if his status as the new Michael Cera might be thwarted by the fact that the old Michael Cera is still around.
I'm really not a Zombie movie fan (apologies to all you Romero fans out there but they just dont float my boat) but agree 100% with the comment above ... I was actually thinking IS that Michael Cera. Saw it today and loved it . Sherbetbizarre comments above on it being zombie-lite ... to be honest I was glad it was. The cameo was great but I read somewhere that the original choice was to be Patrick Swayze? Enjoyed BM but cant help thinking how Swayze would have played it if he wasnt so ill at the time.

Also saw Surrogates - which was pretty good (James Cromwell is almost getting typcast as scientist-guy these days ... Star Trek first contact, I Robot now Surrogates) and Pandorum..... hmm Descent meets Alien but with a happy ending and starring the bloke with wings from X Men ... bit meh really.
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

Been a few slow weeks for watching movies, did see some cool stuff though.

The Vanished - Japanese scary children being investegated by a reporter. Kinda like Noroi. I liked it.

Zombie hunter Rika - Low budget Japanses zombie flick, good fun.

Infestation - got this of the net after I fell asleep to it at Frightfest. Nice little horror comedy, glad I did give it a 2nd try.

The Invisible maniac - Mad scientist creates a potion to make himself invisible and spends a lot of time in girls lockerrooms. The fight between 2 invisible guys was hilarious.

Monsterman - pretty crap for a Tartan release. The main caracters are annoying and the twist at the end is a bit stupid.

The Ninja mission - Swedish Ninja movie with bad dubbing, some good gore and a huge bodycount. Needless to say I loved it.

Blind beast vs. Killer dwarf - Japanese movie about a blind masseur that turns his victims into statues and a killer dwarf priest that share the same teritory. Pretty sick at times. Good low budget stuff.

Eyes of the condor - Thai action movie with a whole bunch of midgets and various bad guys all after a huge diamond. Was chatting too much so missed half of the story. Great sky dive fight scene and wtf was up with all them jet ski's at the end. Must watched this again one day after a good drinking binge.

Hanzo the Razor: Who's got the gold - Hanzo rules! too bad there's only 3 movies.

The Vampire raiders vs. Ninja queen - fell asleep while watching this so still have to finish it but what I've seen so far was great. Horrible dubbing, confusing story, hopping vampires, ninja's, a dead pig being thrown of a rooftop onto people, this movie has it all

Big man Japan - I don't know, kinda expected more from this one, like not too much cgi. Still good fun and pretty unusual.
Last edited by Melvin Junko on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Sick Girl - Bad acting, bad direction, awful production. What an ending though. Jeepers.

It's Alive - Fun for a rental. CGI was dodgy but Bijou Phillips was great as the slowly crumbling mother. More mutant baby needed.

Offspring - The best thing about this movie is that they chose to adapt the inferior 'Offspring' and so they didn't ruin 'Off Season' gah. What the hell was with those wigs. Terrible.

Seventh Moon - Shaky cam alert. Just keep it still for 5 seconds. Even when the main characters are just walking around the camera seems like it's being operated by a drunken epileptic. The beginning of the movie had me hoping for a classic. The middle and end had me groaning because of the missed opportunity. Amy Smart was good however.

Autopsy - Despite the many, many plotholes I really enjoyed this movie. Some great comedy and the scene when our protagonist finally finds her boyfriend make it easily the most enjoyable flick of the week.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Grindhouse wrote: Jackie Brown the dvd is fullscreen,
Huh? The DVD I have is 1:1.85. No full screen as far as I can tell. Unless you have a Region 1. They often, inexplicably, release both versions for the proles so they don't have to contend with their "annoying black bars".
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
PatrolBen
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by PatrolBen »

thesavageintruder wrote:
I feel lonely in my fondness for Halloween II. Zombie's first go-round with the franchise was a grower and its main flaw (the awkward part-prequel, part-overly-faithful-remake structure) is ironed out this time. I love the new take on Loomis as a cynical media whore, I really like the harsh brutality of the murders, and it's awesome to see Brad Dourif in a such a sympathetic, non-loopy role. The hallucinogenic dream sequences worked for me and it's impressive that Zombie refuses to follow the bland sequel formula...a blandness that crippled the 80's version of "Halloween II". Genuinely eerie ending and refreshing to see a slasher sequel that is more interested in showing the IMPACT of previous events on surviving characters than it is in introducing a bus load of new teenagers to be knifed. Also, any movie that casts the batshit crazy Margot Kidder as a shrink deserves some kudos...
I agree completely. I don't understand all the hate for this from horror fans, the first was a mess - I didn't like it at all but this installment was perfect for a Halloween film. Myers has never been so brutal, sure the original was more about atmosphere and what can't be seen than gore but I can appreciate his slant on it. I thought he was terrifying and with each stab he thrust upon his victims it hurt and never lost it's impact.

The dream sequences worked for me as well. It's something new in a studio slasher. Sheri Moon isn't the best actress by a long way but I'd have her in every scene rather than watch another drab slasher like the Friday the 13th Remake were I was literally falling asleep while Jason runs about trying to kill bland teenagers. The lighting was excellent, the score complimented the images, I loved that it was shot on 16mm, he has his on style and world which none of these slasher remakes have and has one of the best party sequences since 'Rules of Attraction'.

If you haven't seen it I recommended you go and give it ago. It's the most brutal studio film I have seen. I dread to see what Halloween 3D turns out like. :roll:
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Zombieland at the weekend. Not as gory as I thought it will be. Mainly the focus is on the humour. Liked the fact the story followed the boy's adventure.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
PatrolDave
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by PatrolDave »

agree completely. I don't understand all the hate for this from horror fans, the first was a mess - I didn't like it at all but this installment was perfect for a Halloween film. Myers has never been so brutal, sure the original was more about atmosphere and what can't be seen than gore but I can appreciate his slant on it. I thought he was terrifying and with each stab he thrust upon his victims it hurt and never lost it's impact.

The dream sequences worked for me as well. It's something new in a studio slasher. Sheri Moon isn't the best actress by a long way but I'd have her in every scene rather than watch another drab slasher like the Friday the 13th Remake were I was literally falling asleep while Jason runs about trying to kill bland teenagers. The lighting was excellent, the score complimented the images, I loved that it was shot on 16mm, he has his on style and world which none of these slasher remakes have and has one of the best party sequences since 'Rules of Attraction'.

If you haven't seen it I recommended you go and give it ago. It's the most brutal studio film I have seen. I dread to see what Halloween 3D turns out like.
I feel like a dick for quoting PatrolBen, as we are friends and we went to see this film together. But, somebody has to show some love for this film.

The simplest way I can put it is; A studio horror film will never get any better! It is trippy, grainy, butal and generally nasty. Zombie has made a studio movie on 16mm, with some of the nastiest kills I have seen for a very long time, with a weird sub plot involving his wife and a white horse, where Michael Myers wanders around the country with a massive beard... and horror fans still hate it. Mr Zombie, I salute you.
I have a trailer and everything;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1S-qvSjrY
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I loathed Halloween II: it's the worst horror film I've caught this year (with the possible exception of Giallo). My FF blog goes into nauseating detail about it, which should hopefully go up sometime this week. A fourth dose of proof that Rob Zombie can't make a halfway decent, halfway interesting or even borderline coherent film. It's entirely meritless garbage.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

streetrw wrote:It's entirely meritless garbage.
Lol! So that's 4-4 in the love/hate Halloween II stakes...

Anyone else?
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

I quite enjoyed Rob Zombie's Halloween. I might have enjoyed Halloween 2 if I could have seen what the hell was going on at any point during the film. The victims would have stood a much better chance if they'd splashed out on some decent light bulbs. I also felt that the first 15 minutes of the film were somewhat of an time waste, but I won't say any more than that. Didn't really see the point in Sheri Moon being there, and Laurie was particularly annoying. Overall, thumbs down.

That being said, I could happily sit and watch a film of Danielle Harris playing chess for 90 minutes, so it wasn't all bad. That probably sounded a bit too 'Satan's Puppy'...
"The suspect is armed with a machete in one hand, and his genitals in the other."