Edgar Wright Presents DON'T LOOK NOW/CARRIE Double Bill

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Poppy
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Edgar Wright Presents DON'T LOOK NOW/CARRIE Double Bill

Post by Poppy »

Just saw this on the prince charles cinema website. Edgar Wright is coming down to present one of thir regular Friday night double bills:

http://www.princecharlescinema.com/inde ... splay=1034

Cult Director Edgar Wright (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, Spaced) comes to the PCC to present an amazing double bill of Nicolas Roeg's chilling "Don't Look Now" & Brian De Palma's shocking "Carrie". Along with the two films, Edgar will be showing some very special surprise treats. Book now as this is bound to be VERY popular.
Notts Pete
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Notts Pete »

Looks like being a very interesting night. Unfortunately, can't get down for it - but I reckon everyone who does will have a great time.

Didn't Mr Wright do a whole bunch of these 'Edgar Wright Presents...' thingies while he was over in the States? At the Alamo Drafthouse or somewhere?
Good to see him back doing something in good old Blighty! :)
I bet you think you know all about vampires ... believe me, you know f@*& all.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Ah, Alamo! :-) Fond memories... Ah, I hope not, would be gutted to have missed that! :-( is the one at the PCC only on this Friday?

Are tickets on sale now? so many q's.... :-D
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

S'ok - booked em :-) Anyone else going? should be pretty good :-)
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

I got my ticket, and i'm happy! gonna make it a triple bill and watch halloween 2 before hand.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Got my ticket yesterday. Hoping they be showing the print version and not off DVD. Looking forward to seeing them on the big screen.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
mike108
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by mike108 »

anyone got any idea what time this will finish?
PatrolBen
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by PatrolBen »

lupogirl wrote:Got my ticket yesterday. Hoping they be showing the print version and not off DVD. Looking forward to seeing them on the big screen.
It'll be a print version for sure.

I'm going to go, I haven't got a ticket yet though. I am more looking forward to the Braindead double bill.
PatrolBen
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by PatrolBen »

I enjoyed the films very much on the big screen. I love watching original prints.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

I really enjoyed seeing Carrie on the big screen for the first time and Don't Look Now (which I hadn't seen before, and don't really get, but hey). Ultimate highlight, apart from the adorable Edgar Wright introducing the films, was the exclusive (never before seen) montage of Don't Look Now, set to the a Bluetones song - classic! :-)
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Laymonite »

Is there meant to be a linking theme to both the films? To me they seem an odd choice to pair together, I can't find any obvious connection.
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Psychic power.

The colour red.

Also, two of the best horror pictures of the decade?
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

No real connection, other than the fact that, as Edgar mentioned in his intro, they are two of his favourite films ever and he'd never seen either of them on the big screen.

So when PCC offered him the chance to select a double-bill, those were the two he chose...

I have to say though (and apologies for those I may offend here), that I had never seen Don't Look Now before and seeing it here, I found it to be hugely overrated. I mean, I like other Roeg films (particularly Performance and Walkabout, but DLN just left me cold and a bit 'meh' at the end. I just didn't really get it, there was no real reference to the start of the film throughout and what plot points there were throughout seemed to have no real relevance to the end - apart from the bit where DS thinks he sees his wife on the boat, but that just served to confuse me and further spoil my enjoyment of the movie.. Oh well...

However, Carrie still holds up extremely well, and is still quite brilliant...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
Team Banzai
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Team Banzai »

DISAGREE - DON't LOOK NOW is possibly my favourite "horror" film ever...

perhaps it was the time in life that i first watched it, i was around 10 or 12 and somehow me mum and dad let me watch it on tv... i could not get the final images out of my head and i had to go and sleep in their bed for the night. in fact i STILL cannot watch the last sequence without covering my eyes!

a brilliant, hypnotic, shattering film - but to each their own..
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Laymonite wrote:Is there meant to be a linking theme to both the films? To me they seem an odd choice to pair together, I can't find any obvious connection.
Both have scores by Pino Donaggio (DON'T LOOK NOW was his first score). But I'd be surprised if that was an actual reason for coupling the two together....