Happy Saw Day

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Laymonite
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Happy Saw Day

Post by Laymonite »

Ok, so today is actually Saw Eve but I'm not in work tomorrow so thought I'd take this chance to wish you all a happy Saw Day tomorrow.

And why am I not in work? No, Saw Day hasn't become a national holiday, I've booked it as annual leave and I will be getting up early and watching all my Saw DVDs. Anyone doing the same or similar?
Bring her to me, you bum. I'll take care of business.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Me! Starting each one at 2.30, 4.30, 6.30, 8.30, 10.30 (or thereabouts) and thence to the 2.30 show of the new instalment tomorrow at my local oinkpit.

It's going to be wincetastic. :)
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

I'm not a huge fan , so I'm waiting until they stop making them, and will buy a box-set - ONE boxset - so I don't have to upgrade every year.

I've seen the original a couple of times, but the rest just once in theatres... this wasn't so good for part 4 when I supossed to remember what happened in part 3 a year previous :)

For that reason I enjoyed 5 a lot more... and think I spotted a secret twist towards the end that will crop up in part 6... I'll find out tomorrow.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Can someone *actually* explain the fucking story of part IV to me once they've gone heroically through the entire canon?

Not that I actually care that much, but I'm still utterly confused about the whole engineering of the Mandylor character's involvement somewhere between part II and IV that involves him being in the makeshift surgery room from part III at some point before part IV starts...or ends...which is actually when part III ends...or something. I never even got around to part V on account of my brain hurting.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

giles edwards wrote:Can someone *actually* explain the fucking story of part IV to me once they've gone heroically through the entire canon?

Not that I actually care that much, but I'm still utterly confused about the whole engineering of the Mandylor character's involvement somewhere between part II and IV that involves him being in the makeshift surgery room from part III at some point before part IV starts...or ends...which is actually when part III ends...or something. I never even got around to part V on account of my brain hurting.
(SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SAW 1/2/3/4/5)

Well, as far as a chronological timeline is concerned, Mandylor was involved in events as Jigsaw's second accomplice from before the first movie - the planting of Cary Elwes' pen at the site of the razor-wire murder. The opening trap scene from Saw 5 comes before the events of Saw 1 as it's not a Jigsaw trap but a Mandylor trap disguised to cover his murder of his abusive brother-in-law. I suspect the only reason Mandylor's involvement isn't revealed until the last scene of Saw 4 is simply that they hadn't worked that out yet!

Saw 3 and Saw 4 consist of concurrent events (the bulk of Saw 4 is technically one huge flashback as it starts from after Saw 3 with Jiggy's autopsy but then flashes back to the same times). In Saw 5, Mandylor shows up and gets the details of the main bunch of victims just before the nurse (Lynn?) is wheeled in for the events of Saw 3.

Having got through them all now, I'm of the opinion that Saw 3 is the best of the bunch; Saw 5 is actually pretty weak (not enough screaming torture) and Saw 4 was the point at which they started overly complicating things. Saw 3 also has the big wince moment, when Donnie Wahlberg smashes his ankle with the cistern lid. I still maintain that if you hadn't seen Saws 1-4, Saw 5 wouldn't make a blind bit of sense as it refers back to and restages events from the first two movies.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

SAW 6 Gets X Rating
Posted Oct,22

If you plan on seeing SAW 6 in Spain you will be seeing it in a smut shop since the film just got an X rating limiting where it will play. if you see it in Spain you might be watching it alongside a bunch of creepy dudes in trench coats walking out of the early showing of Deep Throat.

Aullidos.com is reporting the film got an X rating and that its the first time it has happened in 20 years for a wide release theatrical horror movie. It really begs the question whats in the movie that makes it so bad? I am sure Lionsgate will be proud of this and start putting it in their commercials.
http://ow.ly/w32i
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Happy Saw Day

Post by PeterPan »

Laymonite wrote:Ok, so today is actually Saw Eve but I'm not in work tomorrow so thought I'd take this chance to wish you all a happy Saw Day tomorrow.

And why am I not in work? No, Saw Day hasn't become a national holiday, I've booked it as annual leave and I will be getting up early and watching all my Saw DVDs. Anyone doing the same or similar?
Nah the shocking acting and pointless twist in the first movie turned me right off the franchise. I enjoyed 2 + 3 but felt no need to carry on with the series and have never bothered purchasing any of the films.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

I can't say it's a series of films that appeals to me much either, it's not that they are bad, just that they hold no interest.

Give me a good slasher or supernatural horror anyday - thats why PA looks awesome, possibly even my film of the year.

If Let The Right One In (closely followed by Mum & Dad) was my film of 2008 then maybe Paranormal Activity (closely follwed by Trick R Treat) may just be my film of 2009.

I want something that genuinely scares me
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

streetrw wrote:
giles edwards wrote:Can someone *actually* explain the fucking story of part IV to me once they've gone heroically through the entire canon?

(SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SAW 1/2/3/4/5)

Well, as far as a chronological timeline is concerned, Mandylor was involved in events as Jigsaw's second accomplice from before the first movie - the planting of Cary Elwes' pen at the site of the razor-wire murder. The opening trap scene from Saw 5 comes before the events of Saw 1 as it's not a Jigsaw trap but a Mandylor trap disguised to cover his murder of his abusive brother-in-law. I suspect the only reason Mandylor's involvement isn't revealed until the last scene of Saw 4 is simply that they hadn't worked that out yet!

Saw 3 and Saw 4 consist of concurrent events (the bulk of Saw 4 is technically one huge flashback as it starts from after Saw 3 with Jiggy's autopsy but then flashes back to the same times). In Saw 5, Mandylor shows up and gets the details of the main bunch of victims just before the nurse (Lynn?) is wheeled in for the events of Saw 3.

Having got through them all now, I'm of the opinion that Saw 3 is the best of the bunch; Saw 5 is actually pretty weak (not enough screaming torture) and Saw 4 was the point at which they started overly complicating things. Saw 3 also has the big wince moment, when Donnie Wahlberg smashes his ankle with the cistern lid. I still maintain that if you hadn't seen Saws 1-4, Saw 5 wouldn't make a blind bit of sense as it refers back to and restages events from the first two movies.
Hahaha, cripes -- thanks Richard! Now, about that cure for cancer...
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

For an hour and a half loads of people get mangled in funny little traps, interspersed with endless flashbacks of the other 5 films, and there's some tedious sub-story of Jigsaw when he was a nice family man, then with 2 minutes to go the dramatic "Saw music" starts playing, and you find out the good guy of the film has done everything the wrong way and we get the "Saw twist" when everything's wrapped up in the most ludicrous and non-sensical way possible, and Jigsaw's secret accomplice ends the film by shutting the door and saying "Game Over!"

sorry, couldn't resist :P

I will go and see at the cinema, more out of morbid curiosity than anything else, expectations ain't high.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Well, I just got back from my local's first showing of Saw VI and it's exactly what you'd expect - yet another surprise accomplice, more restagings of bits from Saw 3, new flashback scenes of Tobin Bell and Shawnee Smith, more disposable idiots hurting themselves and each other, someone you thought was dead but isn't. I have to say it's fairly ingenious how they continue to riff back on the earlier films, but as things stand now I really don't see how they can keep it going even though Saw 7 is already pencilled in for next October. It's not atrocious, but it's going to be fairly incomprehensible for newcomers to the franchise (say what you like about Friday The 13th Part 4, but you didn't need to be familiar with the narrative minutae of 1-3) and the sense that we've been to the well too many times is getting stronger: it's not a case of flogging the dead horse so much as thinking up more and more visually revolting ways of ripping the dead horse into little pieces (and not photographing them very well).

Spencer
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Spencer »

fuck me , i must be in the minority but i would rther eat a plate of 70's white dog poo than watch this shit. Let alone give these idiots my money so they can keep making this garbage :)
http://twitter.com/roughtradeshops

http://lastblogontheleft2.wordpress.com/
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Spencer wrote:fuck me , i must be in the minority but i would rther eat a plate of 70's white dog poo than watch this shit. Let alone give these idiots my money so they can keep making this garbage :)
Well that makes two of us at least :) Never seen em , dont have even the slightest interest
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Yeah, this one was average.

Spoiler question!

So essentially one person is running the game. Am I to assume he built all the traps himself AND kidnapped an entire Insurance Company on his own? Plus he could fuck off during its running time, yet everything still went smoothly in his absence?

Ha!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i admire richards dedication to the Saw cause,for me the saw franchise died a death at part 4.
Having only seen 1,3,4 and actually owning 123 on dvd,though i dont know why i own them?
As its not a franchise thats not entertaining enough for me to actually give a hoot about.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"