The FrightFest ICA all-nighter

Relive the horror of Frightfest 2009
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nekro »

can someone confirm what time the event starts? my e-mail confirmation says 6pm but the first film is listed at 7pm. will there be any talks before the first screening?
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

capthowdy66 wrote:Wrong Turn 3 is just a hack job made by a TV director with a load of British TV actors, how on earth is that made by professionals? Ryan Nicholson is a very talented FX artist so why in your eyes 'Talentless' ?

I have seen it, on blu ray last week. Its awful with crappy cgi effects to boot. Give me Live Feed and Gutterballs anyday.
Nicholson may well be a terrific FX artist - certainly his IMDb page lists him as working on some high grade productions and I'm not about to knock that side of his career. But he can't write or direct to save his life. Both Live Feed and Gutterballs were worthless garbage: appallingly shot, full of despicable people (played by people who can't act) and content to pad out the time with tedious sex scenes or obnoxious rape sequences. Just because he's good with prosthetics doesn't mean he's any good at writing or directing.

And Wrong Turn 3 may well be rubbish - I still haven't seen it - but I've got a fiver says that it's not going to be a fraction as repugnant and odious as those two Nicholson titles.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

streetrw wrote:I I did say "enthusiastic but talentless amateurs" - people who might have a passion for making horror movies but whose passion is not reflected in any kind of ability. This is where the likes of Zombie Women Of Satan resides. If, has been commented earlier, it did manage to stretch itself into something interesting after the first 20 minutes, it was indeed a magical transformation. You don't have to eat the whole egg to know that it's rotten even if you are an internationally renowned food critic (and certainly not if you're just a boiled egg fan who posts to the the EggFest forums).

Of course the amateur genius beats the professional hack and the best example of that is The Evil Dead. That The Evil Dead was shot on a budget of sixpence and string is actually part of its power: Sam Raimi had to stretch his dollar till it snapped and come up with ways of getting the shots he wanted. Because Sam Raimi knew what he's doing. Whoever did ZWOS hadn't a clue (about pacing, about acting, about writing) because they weren't geniuses, amateur or professional.

I suspect - and we still haven't seen it - that Wrong Turn 3 won't do anything particularly original or inventive, but that it'll deliver to some extent on the gore and screaming at fairly regular intervals. Which is pretty much all you want at 2.15 in the morning!
Oh i do so enjoy streetrw's posts; educative, ernest and highly entertaining.
Mentioning ZWOS at all on this forum now makes me feel like a child, idly throwing stones into a lake where i know there be crocodilles and other dangerous predators, one day i will get my fucking fool head bitten off, but until then i will continue to risk dismemberment, even if just to see their spectacular natural defenses.
I'm neither film or food critic, but i still feel that ZWOS is more Curate's egg than rotten egg, and either way it's deffinately free range and organic, I did eat the whole thing and it didn't make me throw up or shit myself- so different tastes i guess.
Even "talentless amateurs" (and i wouldn't call those behind ZWOS either) will turn out a film that is interesting, even on a purely anthropological level, and if you're lucky there might be flashes of maverick humour, marginal viewpoints or (my personal favourite) shameless exploitative button pushing, and that gives me something to take away from the experience. Ninety minutes of "functional competence" leaves me with nothing but an hour and a half of my life that I'll never get back.
I agree that none of these films are shit on the shoes of Evil Dead, but if a film fails to be good, i'd still prefer it to be interesting or spectacularly bad than mediocre but shiny wallpaper. Any day of the week and twice on sundays. We wouldn't be haveing this much debate over Max Payne.

I'm sure Wrong Turn 3 will be every bit as good as Zombie Women of Satan, and i look forward to meeting streetrw and continueing the debate over which is worse and why over a drink (my round, i think, to appologise for being so willfully antagonistic).

Finally, what more could i want at 2.15 in the morning than gore and screaming? Well, a decent film would be nice, but failing that give me blood spattered cleavages and a shitting dwarf. Shameless.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Will Doug Bradley be able to do signings tomorrow ?
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

lupogirl wrote:Will Doug Bradley be able to do signings tomorrow ?
good question,hes in Nottingham during the day with some other folks doing some promotional stuff aparrently,lets hope he gets back in time :)
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
bohan
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by bohan »

Doug Bradley is doing the halloween all nighter event in high wycombe tomorrow night at the empire cinema so doubt he will be at the ica will he?
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Camden Film Fair is on, for anyone in London before 4...

http://www.midnight-media.net/id10.html
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

nekro wrote:can someone confirm what time the event starts? my e-mail confirmation says 6pm but the first film is listed at 7pm. will there be any talks before the first screening?
Did anybody know when things kick off, and if anything is happening before the first film?
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

See y'all tomorrow!
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Mr Bill wrote:
nekro wrote:can someone confirm what time the event starts? my e-mail confirmation says 6pm but the first film is listed at 7pm. will there be any talks before the first screening?
Did anybody know when things kick off, and if anything is happening before the first film?
I'd say doors open at 6 with first film at 7 or half past or whenever it is. I'd say just allow a bit of time to get the seat you want maybe?

Should be good fun, i'm looking forward to it, an interesting mixture of films
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
ZombieCommand
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by ZombieCommand »

See everyone there tonight :)

Anybody eating or drinking before-hand?

I should be there from about 5pm-ish if anybody is going to a pub :)
Saving you from the zombocalypse one forum post at a time - Zombie Command
Twitter | Facebook
PatrolDave
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by PatrolDave »

OKOK, let's kick things off.
Who thought Umbrage was shit?

I still haven't been to sleep.
27 hours and counting.
Woohooo.
I have a trailer and everything;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1S-qvSjrY
ghostdog
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ghostdog »

I take it you didn't like Umbrage then?!
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Obviously not, and blunt with it too lol
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
pauluspink
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by pauluspink »

Ok people, who was the one who puked in the urinals? :shock:

For those who got the 'Bloody Putty' bags, what the hell is it? Someone in front of me actually ate it but there is nothing on the packaging to say it is edible.