Edinburgh Extreme Cinema Season

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Edinburgh Extreme Cinema Season

Post by dangerous_jamie »

I'm really jealous that I don't live in Edinburgh:

http://www.edinburghfilmguild.org.uk/se ... eme+Cinema
Beauty is in the eye of the tiger.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Edinburgh Extreme Cinema Season

Post by giles edwards »

Holy shit. For a minute there I thought they were all playing back to back. That would have beaten even Grim Sunday for a laugh-a-minute cinematic endurance test.

That’s…that’s some powerful selection, nicely off the beaten track, too, nothing that obvious (I’m looking at you, Audition!) and hopefully showing people how impactful old fashioned extreme cinema could be in the face of today’s mainstream gorno stuff and irksome indie “shock” cinema.

I’m still a little surprised they’re able to show Fight For Your Life which, while seeming like it might be conventional-seeming grindhouse offering to the uninitiated, is close second to Goodbye Uncle Tom as the most potent of the bunch, ethically speaking. Edgy gore and mutilation is one thing (and Cthulhu knows there’s plenty of that in that run of titles), but the abusive language in Fight For Your Life is truly tough, tough, tough to sit through. It’s a potent piece, but deeply unsettling. Since all but one of these are uncertified at this point; do you have to join the EFG so it works as a “club” environment, as the Scala used to do to get around the fact it was showing Thundercrack! and assorted goodies? I can’t recall how the NFT do it. I know they’ve shown Goodbye Uncle Tom as well.

Yeah, wish I was in Edinburgh too for this.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

giles edwards wrote:Holy shit. For a minute there I thought they were all playing back to back. That would have beaten even Grim Sunday for a laugh-a-minute cinematic endurance test.

That’s…that’s some powerful selection, nicely off the beaten track, too, nothing that obvious (I’m looking at you, Audition!) and hopefully showing people how impactful old fashioned extreme cinema could be in the face of today’s mainstream gorno stuff and irksome indie “shock” cinema.

I’m still a little surprised they’re able to show Fight For Your Life which, while seeming like it might be conventional-seeming grindhouse offering to the uninitiated, is close second to Goodbye Uncle Tom as the most potent of the bunch, ethically speaking. Edgy gore and mutilation is one thing (and Cthulhu knows there’s plenty of that in that run of titles), but the abusive language in Fight For Your Life is truly tough, tough, tough to sit through. It’s a potent piece, but deeply unsettling. Since all but one of these are uncertified at this point; do you have to join the EFG so it works as a “club” environment, as the Scala used to do to get around the fact it was showing Thundercrack! and assorted goodies? I can’t recall how the NFT do it. I know they’ve shown Goodbye Uncle Tom as well.

Yeah, wish I was in Edinburgh too for this.
I've seen them all except the French short, but like Giles, surprised to see them showing outside a club environment.

Personally I thought the best of that lot were Aftermath and Glass Cage - neither are what most people would call fun though. Uncle Tom was unpleasant, but there are several pseudo/mondo documentaries that I found equally grim.

Still, nice to know people are still screening this stuff. Glass Cage is hugely underappreciated, and given the appalling quality of the dvd release, deserves to be seen properly.

:)
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

I've convinced the missus to let me go to one of these, I get a grim cinematic experience and she gets a weekend away in Edinburgh. Score one for the me team!

I haven't decided which one I want to see yet, but I will see one of them.
dangerous_jamie
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

I'm thinking Aftermath and Nekromantik, because its more bang for my buck.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Wow - that's an amazing line-up..
Nekromantik on the big screen would really be something else..

Personally I really enjoyed Farewell Uncle Tom. It looks absolutely gorgeous, but it is jaw-droppingly offensive with it's racist undertones. However, I did also find it pretty funny (except the bit with the baby being bashed against the wall!)
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nekro »

great line-up, seems like all the action is in scotland at the moment