films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: films we just saw

Post by Malky »

krispyg wrote:
Malky wrote: I also watched 2001 Maniac which I really enjoyed. It did not take itself at all seriously so it was fun.
I had not previously seen this and thought I would check it out prior to the trip to Glasgow. Kinda still sat on the fence with it, some inventive death scenes but overall I can't form an opinion on it. I don't dislike it it but it didn't make me think wow.
I enjoyed how tongue in cheek it was, at least I hope it was deliberately funny
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Yeah the humour works and I don't think it took itself too seriously but did I liek it or not, hmmm

Maybe a revisit at a later date...
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
LaidToRest
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by LaidToRest »

Stag Night very dissapointing a few scares acting wise ok region 4 dvd is out.
A Lizard In A Woman's Skin rubbish better with Don't Tortue A Duckling a fine Giallo film.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Finally watched Lesbian Vampire Killers and what can I say, I now see why apple were giving it away for free over Xmas. Easily the worst British film of last year. Not funny, not scary, not sexy. Carry on Emmanuel is a better movie.

Then with no great enthusiasm watched Doghouse (because I don't want to sit through uncut footage from a film I haven't seen at FF Glasgow) and what a surprise, it was terrific. The trailer made it look like a lads mag rip-off of Shaun of the Dead, in fact that's wide off the mark. Doghouse is a really good Brit comic horror that gets right everything LVK gets wrong. Funny, gory, and with a smart edge of self depreciation. Jake West I'm sorry I doubted you.

I only wish Doghouse had got released with the P&A budget lavished on LVK, it was way more deserving.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
capthowdy66
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by capthowdy66 »

Watched Straightheads which was ok, complete rip of so many seventies films tho, especially Thriller: a cruel picture! Then followed with another brit flick called The Cottage. Oh dear what an unfunny, totally annoying mess that was! :(
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

capthowdy66 wrote:Watched Straightheads which was ok, complete rip of so many seventies films tho, especially Thriller: a cruel picture!
If your only going to watch one movie where a guy is raped with a shotgun...

...make it Crank 2 not Straightheads.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

MaxRenn wrote:
capthowdy66 wrote:Watched Straightheads which was ok, complete rip of so many seventies films tho, especially Thriller: a cruel picture!
If your only going to watch one movie where a guy is raped with a shotgun...

...make it Crank 2 not Straightheads.
Where's my strawberry tart?
"The suspect is armed with a machete in one hand, and his genitals in the other."
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Wading through mediocrity at the moment:

Hannibal Rising - Hmmm....charmless young Hannibal eats the cheeks(upper) of war criminals. The film-makers thus give the audience the tricky choice of siding with a smarmy cannibal or a group of Nazi sympathisers. I chose neither.

District 13: Ultimatum - A really lazy sequel to the fun street-running kungfu original. Other than one early fight in which a Van Gogh painting is used to defeat a group of baddies, its pretty insipid.

The Hills Run Red - Sets up an intriguing premise and wastes it on dumb teenagers and yawn inducing torture p*rn.

Obsessed - Psycho office stalker plot 3c is Beyonce-fied. Ends with the traditional b*tch slapping face-off. Only for those of you too young to have seen a zillion films like this in the 80's.
This is a D-Notice situation
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

the only way to know what the GFT is like is see a movie there before FF so Bad lieutenant POC new orleans,Nic Cage heads a great supporting cast of actors of various characters along the way of a corrupt drug riddled cop,Nic cage is nuts in this and at times could pass well as max shreck if a nosferatu remake was ever on the cards again,its nuts and is worth a watch but at over 2 hours pushes the endurance.
And with some crazy lizard camerawork with truly wtf moments its has to be seen to be believed,but would probably do better on dvd,with nic cages low box office pull.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

where were you sitting? we just came out of that as well. For the record we were the aisle seats of the front section's back row(no use to anyone but i was sitting in the seat sponsored by Donald McDonald(3 time sitting in this seat during the festival so far))

Loved Bad Lieutenant, especially the insanity of Nic Cage. Fantastic supporting cast.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

feggie wrote:where were you sitting? we just came out of that as well. For the record we were the aisle seats of the front section's back row(no use to anyone but i was sitting in the seat sponsored by Donald McDonald(3 time sitting in this seat during the festival so far))

Loved Bad Lieutenant, especially the insanity of Nic Cage. Fantastic supporting cast.
Was sat right at the back at the top in the middle of an aisle so i could stretch my legs out if need be,probably the only person sat that far back,
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Paranormal Ascendancy

Well I cannot say I wasn't warned... :lol:

First off, this is not a Paranormal Activity rip-off - it's a retitle of a 2008 pic called "3:00am". And it's not even a found-footage movie!

It looks terrible and has some of the worst camerawork ever in the opening 30 minutes... I either got used to it, or they sacked him for someone else. But overall the film looks horrible.

The middle section was somewhat watchable... but then it went crap again. £4 is too much!

In other news, De Palma for PA2?
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/de-palma- ... activity-2
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Take a film thats rough around the edges small on its scale and little known and probably not one of the directors favourite films and remake it and with The Crazies this is exactly how remakes should be done and has been done its a solid piece of genre film entertainment,dispell any worries of tedious remake malaise,what you get is one of the best remakes to hit the screen of recent years and is gripping tense and is a treat for horror fans.
Sharing similarities to Zack Snyders DOTD this is a remake that does George proud and genre fans alike.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Considering i can't find my old VHS copy i decided to watch The Church by Michele Soavi on Youtube, shame i know. Not the best acting or dubbing in the world for an Italian horror, it's borderline hilarious. But this film is special to me, i love the cinematography, it's Gothic feel and atmosphere and the well crafted over the top sympathized organ soundtrack by Keith Emerson/Phillip Glass.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

The Crazies - almost as boring as Carriers :evil: