[REC.2]

The movies of 2010 still live
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Re: [REC.2]

Post by krispyg »

That would be "Let Me In", is the audience so stupid that even the film titles now have to be shortened down too??
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

Not sure the title is actually inaccurate, but happy to be corrected.

If they genuinely go for a closer interpretation of the novel then fair enough. I just suspect it'll be awful, on the grounds that most covers, though not all, are.

:)
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by krispyg »

It's a remake too far for me and dumbing down the film title is just taking it too the extreme. I can safely say it's a film I will not be wasting any of my hard earned cash on

I'd rather spend it on wtaching Rec 2 again!!
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Filth87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Filth87 »

Snap, One I did like though was Last House of the Left. Thought they did a brilliant job on the re-make.

Oh and Wolfman of course, but anything from Del Toro is pretty much great.

-M
Dead girls can't say 'no'!
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

Filth87 wrote:Snap, One I did like though was Last House of the Left. Thought they did a brilliant job on the re-make.

Oh and Wolfman of course, but anything from Del Toro is pretty much great.

-M
Really? Do you not think the entire thing sanitised the LHOTL experience? I'm not the world's biggest fan of the original, but the gutless cover version really annoyed me.

One I did like was Dawn of the Dead. A genuinely different and fun take on an overlong original. I shall now await a flaming for that.

When I was referring to the title change on LTROI, I think they changed it to mimic the original novel in the States, so a bit mean to beat the film up for copying its market name. A bit like complaining Girl With The Dragon Tattoo isn't called Men Who Hate Women - its original title.

Filth87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Filth87 »

I remember watching LHOTL in the cinema and being really uncomfortable during the rape scene, I don't remember feeling the same in the original (prob down to watching it on a laptop though). It's not often I go see films these days and am genuinely shocked or uncomfortable at parts.

They didn't seem to change any of the main story elements, and everything - from the murders and the rape was pushed to the limits cinematically, without getting that nagging feeling they're just adding violence and gore for the shock value, like the Texas Chainsaw remake(s).

I'm actually thinking the reasons I liked LHOTL pretty much sums up why I can't stand Quarantine and what I imagine they're doing with the sequel.

-M
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

Nothing in the remake of LHOTL was even close to the brutality of the original - the rape was sanitised, the thugs far less nihilistic and, without giving away spoilers, the absolutely cop out change from the original story (if you've seen them both, you know what I mean) was pathetic.

Rather confused on the hatred of Quarantine - although I'm able to read subtitles and therefore loved the original, surely it's a bit hard to hate the remake given it is almost the same film?

Filth87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Filth87 »

There's absolutely no point making a shot-by-shot re-make, plus I think the fact it was in Spanish made the faster scenes seem alot more hectic and mental for me.
What's made it worse was that they've just abandoned the story for the sequel, sounds like a bit of a 'fuck you' to the writers.

-M
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

Tell that to Haneke! I used to agree with you, but thinking about it, I'm not so sure. I watched a good 20 people walk out of Diving Bell and the Butterfly once they realised it was subtitled, thereby depriving themselves of a great film. Not everyone likes reading their films and if something like REC can be remade, pretty much as it was meant to be seen, then who am I to judge? I have far more issue with the remakes that alter the original film without good reason. Dawn of the Dead was very clearly Romero's story, it just changed the emphasis from allegory to action extravaganza. Fair enough by me - horses for courses. The likes of LHOTL and TCM didn't reimagine anything, they simply sanitised a distinctly unsanitary product and unleashed it upon a Saw-fed crowd who lapped it up.

Of the recent remakes, i'd say only THHE was as unpleasant as the original.

sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Filth87 wrote:There's absolutely no point making a shot-by-shot re-make
But hey, if you're going to put Jennifer Carpenter in every frame, I'm not complaining :P
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Marlin wrote:
Filth87 wrote:
One I did like was Dawn of the Dead. A genuinely different and fun take on an overlong original. I shall now await a flaming for that.

A bit like complaining Girl With The Dragon Tattoo isn't called Men Who Hate Women - its original title.

I flame you sir! :D I did like the remake too although the original Dawn has to be one of my faves.

I heard about that on breakfast news last week, I think 'Men who hate women' is a fabulous name, I would have been anticipating the movie more if it was called that for sure.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by krispyg »

Interesting how it has changed so dramatically

My view on remakes is that sometimes it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you make it like for like, you get shot down for not putting your own spin on it. Change it slightly and it's "innacurate to the original" ie trying to copy it like for like but not exactly. Change it too much and put your own spin on the story and it's then criticised for not being anything like the original.

I would rather watch something new, even if it turns out to not be very good (say Catacombs for example) than sit thru another remake/reimagining.

I'm not saying never remake films, it would be liek bands never doing cover versions but if a big percentage of the music world was just cover versions, how disillusioned would you feel? Personally, i'd stop buying it or attending concerts.

The odd remake here and there ok I can accept. But it's just getting too much now.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever made a remake of a remake?
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Filth87
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Filth87 »

Omega Man - Last Man on Earth (The best :)) - I Am Legend.

Do they count?

-M
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Decent sequel, that goes in a slightly different direction to the original, although some of the twists and turns in the plot don't really seem to add up. Some of the scenes are effectively tense and there are a few good death scenes. I just hope they don't flog the franchise to death - and I certainly hope that if they do another they take it out of the same appartment block to somewhere else. There are definitly some loose ends to be tied up still.... 8 / 10

PS: Glad to see someone else likes the minor classic, To Let as well!
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

krispyg wrote:
The odd remake here and there ok I can accept. But it's just getting too much now.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever made a remake of a remake?
Historically, it's fairly common, but the most recent ridiculous example of things getting out of hand is The Amityville Horror. 1979 original, remade in 2005. Now being remade again this year.

The original was bad enough...