films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: films we just saw

Post by Grindhouse »

i removed my post in response to the one posted by 42nd street freak though i dont think it was inaccurate just not the place for it on here.
thanks for pointing that out.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Let's not start telling people what they can or can't post on these boards. If you disagree with the statement either ignore it or post a counter point. This is a public forum not everything that's said is going to be to your taste.
"The little pissed Welsh tit is here. And pissed"
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Actually I meant his post, not yours Grindy!

Also I don't mean to presume what anyone can or can't post but

1) The section is called movies we watched: not let's inflict our opinion about different societies upon others. As I said I'm sure there's a board for that.

2) It being a public forum does not give anyone carte bloody blanche to be offensive or racist - and as far as I am concerned whole-bagging the entire Iraq nation into a cliche-ridden horror-show counts under the banner of not acceptable comments - not here, not anywhere civilised. By your account I should be allowed to refer to any minority under a racially charged name simply because this is a public forum which I call rubbish.

Voor
42nd Street Freak
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by 42nd Street Freak »

LMAO!

Thanks for proving my point! You were offended at the very idea of such a film...let alone the film actually existing! :roll:

And if you can name me one thing in that list of everyday atrocity that's not true...Feel free. Bet you can;t though. Can you?!
Seems you should be more offended at that those acts more than the idea of actually, just once, portraying them.

So...where is THAT film? Just one. Where? Exactly...and you dare to talk about one-sided!? :roll:

And exactly why are you so offended at the idea of such a FACT based film even existing, but are happy to wallow in the swamp of anti-West, anti-American propaganda (that the enemy must adore) that we get constantly from Hollywood while the wars are still going on and our soldiers are there dying?

You know what's really offensive...YOUR post and its mindset 'Voor'

And I bashed no creed or colour either.
Or even race (unless you think we are fighting Germans, French or Eskimo's in Iraq! I can't change basic biological fact for you...sorry).
And I also never said ALL in Iraqi's either! I said Islamists

You may have missed the fact that those raped and butchered women (Google some facts pal), those lynched homosexuals (Google some facts pal), those explicitly targeted women and children in markets, at funerals, in mosques (Google some facts pal) and those butchered Christian sects (Google some facts pal) are ALSO Iraqis!
Or did you miss that in your self-righteous fury!?

Don't you think the one-sided cinema we get about Iraq is actually offensing the memory of THOSE Iraqis?

So get off your hypocritical high horse and stick to the facts.
And actually this is completely linked to films as my post came from "Green Zone" and is about other films already made..
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Well I just feel you're trying too hard to be offended. I didn't see any mention of the whole Iraqi nation. Also many of the things listed have occurred. You are correct that this is a movie discussion board but thread drift is sometimes inevitable. I object to the notion that 'this message is not acceptable'. If you don't like it ignore it or make a counter point.

Edit: In reply to Voor. 42nd snuck one in there. :wink:
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

I still don't think this is neither the board nor the thread to discuss this matter and I fail to see how trying to avoid thread drift is such an atrocious idea.

And 42nd Street, I think you have no idea what you're talking about - the fact that you're stressing the word 'islamist' is proof enough of some sort of pseudo-intelligent, flag-waving, nationalistic-jingo.

Who are these evil 'islamists' that you refer to? Islamism is not some sort of united movement - so is everyone who is involved with modernisation of the tenets of Islam responsible for the said atrocities? I guess that means we should really boycott people like Anwar Ibrahim as well since they come under your stupid umbrella banner.

And I am not offended by the idea of a film at all: in fact, if your narrow mind would let you stop from foaming at the mouth for one second you would find that there are many films exist which depict life in Iraq and Afghanistan as it was: brutal, short and unpleasant. Not only are there films, there are documentaries made by the Iraqi people who depict those atrocities you like to wave in lieu of reason and logic. But I don't think you could come across this if you just 'google' all your facts - no you would have to do actual research, investigate and listen and watch.

What I object to is your Daily Mail way of barging in with second-rate ideology rants and I will complain until the cows come home until either people like you actually decide to read and learn or they keep their agressive attacks to themselves.

I'm sorry that the suggestion of digging more as a mindset offends you - I understand the easy lure of fascistic jingo. It's such a terrific place to be.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

And PeterPan so by your account I can come on here and post 'all homosexuals/jewish people/turks/japanese people/chinese people should be killed' and be allowed free reign until someone makes a counter-point.

I'm sorry but my exclamation of absolute rubbish stands! Public board or not there are rules within a society which must be followed: not ranting off at strangers being a top priority./
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

voor wrote:And PeterPan so by your account I can come on here and post 'all homosexuals/jewish people/turks/japanese people/chinese people should be killed' and be allowed free reign until someone makes a counter-point.

/
Sorry, but I'm gonna jump out of this if you're going to try and prove your point with silliness.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

I wasn't being silly - I was questioning your hypothesis with an example - I'm sorry you think its' silly. I tried to use the most extreme way to demonstrate what you were saying amounted to.

Voor
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

I don't think you proved anything. 42nd never went close to your example. I also said you could ignore the disagreeable comments. Which probably would have stopped this whole drift on the previous page. I disagreed with the assertion that 42nd should not have posted what he did because you diagreed with it.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

I'm sorry but what am I trying to prove? I wasn't saying that he should not post something simply because I disagree with - I was saying that perhaps a horror board with a films thread is not the best place to discuss current political affairs and one that is reliant on a whole labelling of an entire section of Islam - I'm not doing this because I love Islam or I have some hidden agenda about the truth being discovered about the atrocities - I'm doing this because it is logically wrong - the word 'Islamists' does not necessarily only refer to the extremists who would like us all to return to some barbaric and archaic methods, it also ends up including democratic, intelligent people who have given their lives trying to find a moderate ground in which they can bring the idea Islam into the modern age.

And I simply can't ignore the disagreeable comments because that would disagree with the entire meaning of who I am. I highly doubt you'd be pressed to ignore if someone made shaky comments about a controversial subject matter which might matter to you. And perhaps in your book what 42nd said is not close to my example, perhaps comments have to more barbed and direct like the ones I used in my example before you feel obliged to speak up - I, unfortunately, do find his paragraph long rant the same level as my example - maybe it's because of my background or because of my academic interest in the subject.

Voor
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

So ummm........... cant ignore it so my tuppence worth

Voor, well made points that I totally agree with. I felt an element of rage build up as I read the posts you responded to.

Trying to avoid the negativity, I just hope that this is a fairly educated forum and nothing else needs to be said.

Anyway, just watched In Hell after recording it the other night. Standard JCVD action film, with no social message whatsoever. Enjoyable enough nonsense for a Saturday afternoon.

Now ready to move on to watching Bedtime Stories before Animals later on.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Dance of the Dead

DVD review should be on here soon

Loved this, great affiliation with the characters, starts off as a teen prom-com but veers off into a wild zombie film with some very inventive deaths and creatively done.

Paranormal Entity

Paranormal this, Paranormal that, how about getting a new bandwagon to jump on????

This isn't bad, not by any means but it is not a patch on the film that is released tomorrow. If you imagined a watered down version of the PA story then you would not be far short of the mark with this.

If you want scares, and I mean real scares, save your money and buy Paranormal Activity.

This is interesting enough and at £7.99 I don't feel short changed but it is what it is. And that is the inferior cousin of PA if the truth is told.

Films like Paranormal Activity are for me at least, a million times more effetctive in the cinema. At home, I would need total silence, sat in the darknes, focusing not just on what I see but on what I hear too. So whilst I will happily buy PA, nothing will beat seeing it at the ICA, in teh pitch black, with the sound maxed up.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
42nd Street Freak
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by 42nd Street Freak »

voor wrote: Who are these evil 'islamists' that you refer to?
Oh I'm so sorry. Did I not make myself clear?
They're these evil Islamists:

The market bombing, women and children targeting, mass raping, female torturing, head hacking, hacked head stacking, child trafficking, suicide bombing, homosexual lynching, christian sect butchering Islamists.

Sorry I wasn't clear?

Perhaps Hollywood was unclear too.
Perhaps now though we'll get at least one film.
Even if only to annoy the fuck out of pseudo-liberal sheep like you (country's full of them) who bleat in ernest to defend the most ill-liberal entity this side of The Pope's jockstrap wipers.
Islamism is not some sort of united movement
I know a few women's rights activists, authors, directors and cartoonists that would disagree.

Oh so sorry...back OT.

"The Land that Time Forgot" - Still a good watch. Cheesy dinos but the FX and stunts are well done given the age and budget.
But man! I forgot just what a dark and utterly bleak film this was! This ending must have given kids in 1975 a memorable moment of doom and gloom to rock them to sleep.

The sequel just adds to the misery!
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Law Abiding Citizen - really wanted this to be a fun slice of morally bankrupt revenge nonsense, but it was just really stupid.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/