films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
42nd Street Freak
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: films we just saw

Post by 42nd Street Freak »

"The Blind Side".
the blindside.
the blind side.
:?
Sandra Bullocks
:?

"Not Quite Hollywood" -
Documentary on Aussie exploitation films.
Pretty damn good, would like to see the hour of footage removed though. Some choice clips of those movies I have seen and those I now want to see!

"Gonza: The Spearmen" -
Japanese Samurai movie that's 2 hours long and contains ONE, 20 second of screen time, fight at the very end!

The rest is a barely interesting story of Gonza scheming to learn the method of the scared tea service (I kid you not) by tricking various women until a mess up with one who is married (but has done nothing at all with) sees him and the woman having to flee.

This is meant to be the tragic love story part of the plot. But it appears very late, is set-up purely on bad luck with no similar feelings from Gonza's side at all towards the woman (whose fault it all was, due to her overheard shouting, that they had to flee any way) so any tragedy (and thus emotion and power) is non-existent.

Crap DVD transfer did not help the tedium flow any smoother.
Inmyblood
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Inmyblood »

I just watched Ghost Machine... Sat down expecting the usual direct to DVD tripe and was pleastantly surprised to find it very enjoyable.
giles edwards
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by giles edwards »

Bronson

Now, I liked A Single Man quite a bit and Colin Firth was very solid. But which single moment of Tom Hardy’s incredible performance *isn’t* better than the whole of Firth’s awards-lauded turn? Not that I'd expect Refn's archly artsy Kubrick homage to get as much attention as Tom Ford's middle-class-friendly love-in.

Subtle and nuanced it might not have been but I’d go so far as to say Hardy’s Criminal-Formerly-Known-As-Michael-Peterson was the most energetic and riveting immersion into a character since Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast.
[i]"Would you like to take a closer look ?"[/i]
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

giles edwards wrote:Subtle and nuanced it might not have been but I’d go so far as to say Hardy’s Criminal-Formerly-Known-As-Michael-Peterson was the most energetic and riveting immersion into a character since Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast.
Hardy's come a long way since Star Trek Nemesis, quite looking forward to his take on Mad Max despite the usual reservations.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

A triple bill at the cinema today kicking off with a host of nauseating trailers before the 1st feature, what is it with buddy cop movies has everyone got to do them at a low point or to just fill in time, well that’s what Cop Out feels like, with its cinematical take on toilet paper, just waiting to be flushed away down the bargain bin pan on DVD and bluray before leaving a none too pretty stench in the cinemas, along with the bloody awful looking rom com,When In Rome and The Wedding and Sex And The City 2,its been trailer hell this evening.
The 1st feature up is Clash Of The Titans, of which I had low expectations, and I came out of the screen with an even lower opinion of it, with reshoots only finished early in the new year, its not so much the reshoots that’s the problem its the script, the dialogue and the cast not to mention the editing, the direction and the CGI shots, at times it feels like, watching Transformers 2 again, actors are wasted in parts that are just expendable, with so few stand out actors, Mads Mikkelson, Jason Flemying, Pete Postlethwaite,i couldn’t give a flying bubo about the rest, the creature effects were not as good as they could have been, the stygian witches, looked inspired from the films of Guillermo Del Toro, more than any thing else, what i did like was Pegasus, the djinn, the ferryman, and the kraken, and even that had been ruined with the editing, and with the 3D version rolled out largely I think to make more money and use the 3D to hide the poor filmmaking on show here.
And it didn’t even have a decent score.
Whip It
A great directorial debut and its certainly done Drew Barrymore no harm to wait till the right script came along before rolling the cameras.
Thoroughly enjoyed this and Ellen page is certainly a fine actress, with a great soundtrack that keeps pace with the film, Whip It is worthy of all its positive reviews, I just hope it gets to be seen by a large and wide audience as the screen I was in had far too few people in it for a cheap Wednesday night.
Kick-Ass
2nd Time around is even more enjoyable than the 1st and with reading the graphic novel, I appreciate the changes made for the film and prefer the film for them.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
chief brody
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chief brody »

Just seen,
Avatar on blu-ray, the movie blu-ray was made for.
wow.You have to see this.wtf.
"YOU"RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT."
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

Pig, which perhaps unintentionally, is still streaming http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/featur ... index2.php is a genuinely awful film. It goes for every taboo - rape, necrophilia, "retards"... but it is truly awful. Joey Deacon could have played the "special" wife better and the ending... well, the less said the better.

It's actually watchable if you take a Troll 2 approach to things.

:)
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Repo Men
i knew i was in the territory of the likes of Freejack,Johnny Mnemonic,and many other B movie trash sci fi films i just didnt expect to enjoy it as much as i did and i really did,its very bloody but entertaining and is most definately for me a guilty pleasure,i loved the fight scene that plays from Oldboy.
and if that wasnt enough here is the video track from Unkle from the director of RepoMen that plays during the fight scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-0aAxaQ ... re=related
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

The Sentinel - heard many good things about this one, but I wasn't too impressed. Good cast but not enough nasty stuff for me.

Gran Torino - I was quite supprised by this one, didn't expect much but this was really good.

Prom night (origional) Very slow paced and by the time things started kicking off I was suffering from double vision due to some strange reason. Will give it another go, more sober though.

Dead man's hand - Full Moon cheapie that I got from poundland. I mainly bought it because it has Michael Berryman in it, though was pretty dissapointed when it turned out he only had a very small part in it. Still some good laughs, a bit of gore, and loads and loads of cheese.

Wizards of the demon sword - How can you go wrong with a movie that's directed by Fred Olen Ray, distributed by Troma, and that has Michael Berryman in it ( ok, don't answer that question unless you love B movies haha) Very cheesy, crappy acting, terrible dialoge, unfortunatly only about 20 seconds of Berryman, I was entertained by it's badness.

Tomie - First one of a series of 8 Japanese horror movies revolving around a girl that can't die. Wasn't as shocking as I thought it would be, but not bad at all.

Dark Water - creepy but predictable J horror. Liked it.

Blood Sorcery - Hong Kong cat III stuff with all the usual black magic battles, worms, really bad subtitles. Good fun on a wednesday night.

Undead - Aussie zombie movie with some aliens thrown in. Some good gore, dragged a bit from time to time but all in all a good effort.
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Satans Puppy wrote:Centurion.... Wasn't a fan!!!

http://www.dogatemywookie.co.uk/2010/04 ... on-review/
The 97 Minute running time. Finland get 130 mins for some reason, don’t know how or why but that’s the way IMDB is listing it and to be honest had it been that long I would have walked out.
Dunno if the 130min thing is a mistake or not... but what I've heard so far is Centurion suffers from being too short - in other words, not nearly enough Characterisation.

And you've still not gotten over the Noel Clarke thing? :lol:
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

You'll be happy to know that NC and I have hugged and made up on twitter... it was a Bromance which is now over.

Although I was a little inaccurate... teaches me to view Roman History from a BNP sponsored site :) lol however the fact that I basically said NC can't act has stirred up his fans... DOH!!!!
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

There is some headlopping fun to be had with Centurion, but I also think Noel Clarke is the weak link acting-wise. Overall, not as good as I'd hoped or expected (given Mr Marshall's previous work).
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Centurion
Its the weakest and least enjoyable of Neil Marshalls films and its painful to say so,for its 15 rating its very tame,compared to say Daybreakers which is also 15 but really at the top end of the rating.
Its weakness reflects in its distribution,with very little promotion either to get this title known out there,i felt its editing could have been better and its characters better written,sadly i didnt buy Etain played by Olga Kurylenko as a great hunter tracker warrior,her character being mute is obvious so her accent isnt a give away & Axelle puts in a worthy performance as a pict warrior.
It does look great on the screen though and the locations look well used even if the continuity doesnt quite hold up.
i would have preferred it to be an 18 and not be limited by its graphic violence.
Theres tough competition out there in the cinemas and comparing it to Repo Men i found that a
lot more fun for its trashy guilty pleasure.

Is it time for neil marshall to make a picture for a studio & hand over the writing too?
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

satanspuppy wrote:It was a Bromance which is now over
Yep, you're the talk of Facebook this morning...