Films everyone loves... except you!

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Films everyone loves... except you!

Post by sherbetbizarre »

I'm starting this off having just seen Let The Right One In on FX for the first time since FF where it was the hit of the festival for most, if not the entire year.

My reaction was the same as when I first saw it - on the whole, dull, lifeless and unengaging.

For some reason I just can't get into it:

- I have no sympathy for the bullying, as he never seems remotely upset about it.
- I can never follow the story of the pensioners, as they are treated like extras and never properly introduced.

That's my relationship with the movie anyway... Nice ending though.

Anyone else in the minority when it comes to a classic film?
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Films everyone loves... except you!

Post by MaxRenn »

I thought Kickass was unoriginal, badly directed crap full of dreadful CGI. I know it's a bit recent for "classic" status, but the sheer amount of five star reviews suggest it's heading that way.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Shawshank Redemption - How does this keep winning "Best Ever" film polls? I just don't get what makes this different from a million other 'innocent man in prison' movies.
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by feggie »

Heartless - but probably best to stay quiet lest we anger the heartless and noel clarke fans.

Braveheart - Pile of pish

Shawshank - totally agree that it is nothing special. It's an ok film.

I did enjoy the other 2 films mentioned (Kick-Ass was enjoyable nonsense with a nice bit of emotion in a certain big daddy scene. Let the Right One In i enjoyed and i guess I connected with the characters.).

I guess the biggest issue with a film is your connection with the main characters. I look forward to other people's dislikes and other people coming back with counter arguments of how fantastic (insert film name) was.
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

You know this is gonna degenerate into a fight lol

Anyway, hmmmmmmmm

Star Wars Just absolutely hate it with a passion, bores me to tears

Lord Of The Rings Oh Please, hobbits and wizards and god knows what else. And it runs for about 12 hours. No thanks

Nightmare On Elm Street This never captured me in the way Friday the 13th did, or to a lesser extent, Halloween. Vorhees - unstoppable psycho, Myers - unstoppable psycho. Freddie - skinny burnt freak in a stripy top. Hmm.

Hellraiser I found this incredibly boring

AMER!! Thought i'd get in there with this one first

I can be respectful of other peoples tastes and yes maybe in some ways my film choices can be a tad narrow minded but as a rule I miss out on more films I would dislike than what I miss out on ones I may just have enjoyed which I think is a fairly healthy balance.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
steve806
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by steve806 »

The Devils Rejects - absolutely hated it, in fact anything by Rob Zombie. Lots seem to love his work but I just dont get it.

Whats worse is his hopeless reimagining (you have no idea how much pain using that word in relation to this travesty caused me) of Halloween just confirmed to me his complete lack of understanding and respect for the horror genre.

I could understand some hack under the Bruckheimer banner remaking this seminal slasher film without realising the sacrilege they were committing but someone who believes he really understands and love horror films should have known to just keep well clear as you were never going to compare favourably.

Shaun of the Dead - a midly diverting horror/com that does have a few good jokes but I just dont get the huge esteem with which it is held. Give me An American Werewolf in London any day.

Wolf Creek - boring, boring bor ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The Beyond - I just dont get why people love Fulci movies - bad acting, bad cinematography, bad plots, just rubbish basically.

Going off to hide before the (good natured) abuse now, thought I am hoping for a huge dollop of support on Devils Rejects from Streetrw.

regards to all and looking forward to August.

Steve
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Lol, I own and love about 90% of Krispy's and Steve's lists on DVD :lol:
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Halloween - Although not the worst horror movie ever made, it certainly borrows a lot from Hitchcocks Psycho.

Hatchet - I was dying to fall in love with this movie, it has a great killer and a great amount of gore and a some what decent atmosphere, but the overall content was to comedic.

Cannibal Holocaust - A boring shock value film which generally has no value at all really.

Dawn of The Dead - It seemed to go on for ages, plus Day was a much more superior film.

*LEGS IT*

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

I've never really liked Predator that much, a bunch of right wing macho claptrap that turns into a functional slasher movie in the jungle. Meh. It's no Terminator.

Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i have dug deep in my foxhole for this one and i aint coming out!

A Nightmare On Elm st
i just dont like it,its not to say its an overall bad film,i just find it very very dull,poorly acted and freddy never scared me,its given its classic and cult status but really it isnt very good, it may have a great idea in its script but the film just doesnt do it for me,needless i couldnt give a hoot for the remake and to give it the holy grail status,the way some do really isnt worthy,still i have a copy of it on dvd and LD but i dont give it any fondness,i wonder whether this has to do with the crappy sequels and the shite tv series,that spawned from new line cinema's marketing machine.

Spiral another movie everyone loved at ff in 07 that just depressed me and made me feel so ill with its downbeat jazz music,still everyone loves adam green so who am i to be the voice of sedition its really crap though!
love you adam :D

Like all of us posters on this thread the world of film can be uniting or dividing but at least we all love films!

oh i and i hate those vw adverts that you see in the cinema as well,i wonder what morons find the dudeism one funny,or that prat who wants to be willy wonka or even worse that fat guy who turned to body building so we get to watch him sweat on the cinema screen,give me an industrial meat grinder and i will show them what the power of film can do,Exterminator, style oh yes they will scream and i will laugh,but they will scream but not for long as they disappear from the feet up!
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Good thread, Sherbetbizarre! :-) I think my only 2 recent ones that everyone else seem to love bar me is 'Four Lions' and 'Amer'. Its really interesting how knowing what other people think affects your behaviour, for instance, if I really dislike a film I am more likely to dilute my opinion of it in front of friends if I know they really like it - for me it is simply a matter of tact/ not liking unnecessary confrontation. Anyone else feel do this? As far as I am concerned, my not liking a film is unlikely to affect other's opinions of that film, therefore I feel no need to impress my opinion on them any more than simply telling them that I don't like it and my reasons why.

BTW, to confirm the truly random nature of taste and opinion, I too like and own a lot of the films many others have stated they really don't like in posts above :-)
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

The Lost Boys is a heap of 80s crap!

The Breakfast Club is just a lame version of The Big Chill with cinema's most embarrassing dance sequence to boot.

Cache, what is the point of a political allegory so obtuse no one can bloody understand it?

Funny Games even worse, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer did it better first!

Solaris (Original) is like having your brain plunged into liquid nitrogen.

...and anything, ANYTHING, by Tim Burton is overrated (except Sweeney Todd, I liked that one).

krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Grindhouse wrote: A Nightmare On Elm st
i just dont like it,its not to say its an overall bad film,i just find it very very dull,poorly acted and freddy never scared me,its given its classic and cult status but really it isnt very good, it may have a great idea in its script but the film just doesnt do it for me,needless i couldnt give a hoot for the remake and to give it the holy grail status,the way some do really isnt worthy,still i have a copy of it on dvd and LD but i dont give it any fondness,i wonder whether this has to do with the crappy sequels and the shite tv series,that spawned from new line cinema's marketing machine.
So it's not just me then!

Now let's open this up a bit but the whole giallo thing, WTF?? It has worn me down with Mother Of Tears, Giallo, Amer, Lizard in a Womans Skin or whatever it may be called but what is the point, sorry but it is bloody awful. Ok to Tenebrae not being a bad film and Suspiria and Inferno are so so but the whole giallo thing. Not one for me.

Oh and whilst i'm here, I wanna chuck The Hills Have Eyes into this debate. Again, it just doesn't keep me interested in what is going on.

And yes Hatchet was a great idea but poorly executed, wanna see if Hatchet 2 improves on the original which was great idea, great story but just didn't capture me enough.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Random titles:

The Godfather Part II. The original is damn near perfect and this just isn't. I genuinely don't get why everyone says it's so great.

The Wizard Of Oz. Never liked it. Okay, I don't like musicals in general (but there are exceptions - Singing In The Rain for its film studio background, Sweeney Todd for its throat slashings) but this is supposed to be one of the all-time classics. Along with Mary Poppins and The Sound Of Music. Maybe it's the presence of "cute" singing children.

The Last House On The Left (specifically Craven, but really either version). I have to be honest here and say that if I'd been on the jury when Wes Craven's film was being prosecuted under the OPA, I would probably have voted Guilty. Like I Spit On Your Grave, it's a mean-spirited, ugly film that's very hard to justify, either morally or artistically.

The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari. I guess it has some historical importance but it's a pain in the nethers to plough through.

An American Werewolf In London. Yes, start throwing those cabbages. I kind of like it (hell, it's got Jenny Agutter in the shower and everything!), but I don't love it and I don't think it's the masterpiece it's made out to be.

Citizen Kane. Like Caligari, to a certain extent like American Werewolf, it's important because it was groundbreaking, it broke some rules, it made some new rules. But as a film, to sit down and enjoy? I just can't. Even the presence of a Bernard Herrmann score doesn't do it for me.

The Big Lebowski. It's the ******* worst ******* thing the ******* Coens have ever ******* done.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

There Will Be Blood... or, There Will Be Boredom as it's better known round our way.
First things first, stay calm.