Where are you sitting?

The movies of 2010 still live
feggie
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Where are you sitting?

Post by feggie »

To be honest I don't think it is water under the bridge. Ashface has been involved in 2 incidents(that I remember) that have marred the frightfest experience for some. Last year in August he was abusive to someone who then felt uncomfortable and didn't come back for anymore films despite having the full weekend pass. Even this was no surprise as he had been identified(I did not see this but feel the need to repeat what I was told) as being drunk and loud in the queue.

Fast forward to this year and we have Ashface again drunk and loud(I was annoyed by the behaviour and impression that this gave the people passing) in the queue and then we had the pleasure of a commentary for the film. Nobody wanted this.
ashface
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by ashface »

feggie wrote:To be honest I don't think it is water under the bridge. Ashface has been involved in 2 incidents(that I remember) that have marred the frightfest experience for some. Last year in August he was abusive to someone who then felt uncomfortable and didn't come back for anymore films despite having the full weekend pass. Even this was no surprise as he had been identified(I did not see this but feel the need to repeat what I was told) as being drunk and loud in the queue.

Fast forward to this year and we have Ashface again drunk and loud(I was annoyed by the behaviour and impression that this gave the people passing) in the queue and then we had the pleasure of a commentary for the film. Nobody wanted this.

I still have never had anyone say anything to me in person at FF - only on this forum. I wish I knew who you guys were so I could put a face to the people complaining about me. It's really frustrating to have your character attacked by strangers. I am an extremely approachable person (even more so if I have had beer) and wish people would tell me if I'm being annoying or at least tell me to keep it down. I would understand if I looked intimidating but I don't I'm just loud. There really isn't anymore I can do here after apologising and saying it won't happen this year. Please don't bring up last year when I upset the guy with one throwaway comment - I didn't realise 'Oh here he is, late again' would upset someone enough to not come back. Not my fault if he was late more than once to a movie. The difference is I said something therefore not needing to voice my views on a forum. Please can we make a complaint thread on here so you can take your bullying somewhere else, or at least have the decency to PM me to talk about these things? Things get done when you actually talk to the person not just voice your opinions to the group. I honestly never wanted to ruin anyones fun and i'm certainly not the person i'm being made out to be.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

I agree Ashface, I think that things would be a lot easier if people speak up at the time of something annoying/ upsetting them and have a quiet word with the person there and then, rather than just bringing it up on a public forum. I will certainly make sure I do this in future as I have before found myself in the situation where I have felt too shy or frightened to bring to have a word with the person. Hopefully this can be left alone now and we can all go into FF11 with a clean slate and enjoy the festival :)
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

I agree with Kimblebee and I would suggest that if there is a problem during a film, speak to one of the empire staff.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I dont know about anyone else but i would probably feel too intimidated to confront a person if they are already drunk or already being aggressive loud or obnoxious, I would probably just move. But I agree if I paid for my ticket why should I be the one to move? I probably would though as opposed to confronting a drunk person as it can impair thier judgement.

Not a comment on anyone here by the way - just a comment about the idea of being told to confront a drunk person. Probably not the best advice.
Last edited by maxmum on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I don't think we need to go on about this, as it seems obvious everyone who has done anything wrong has obviously realised it and apologised.

Last year I had the misfortunte of sitting next to a brainless fat moron who wrote texts all the way through films, brought extremely smelly fast food into every film and arrived 10 minutes late for every film without fail, barging everyone aside in the process....then when I politely asked him to be a bit more considerate got really aggressive and threw a hissy fit. I think behaviour like that is far worse, when people don't actually think they're doing anything wrong, than here when people have apologised for it.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Yeah I think that's why it's probably best if you feel uncomfortable confronting someone about their behaviour to instead point it out to a member of staff at the Empire, who will then keep an eye out for any more bad behaviour and deal with them appropriately.

People aren't always aggressive when drunk though, a lot of the time they will be considerate and just need telling that perhaps they are being a bit too loud/ to put their phone away/ etc :)
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Does the Empire have signal blockers? I personally think all Cinemas should have them installed INSIDE the screens and not have them outside the screens. By all means text and phone people outside the screen etc but texting/Tweeting etc inside a movie is obviously a big no no. I'm sure Ian will be waiting on hand and foot with an axe in case anyone does decide to use there phone this year. :lol:

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Pukka
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pukka »

pauluspink wrote:E 19 for me, funnily enough the same number as last year (but row D) !
Think I got your old seat then Paul, Hope you didn't leave any used chewing gum on the chair. I'm always doing that... sitting in someones sticky seat at the cinema and you can't do anything about it cause then EVERYONE knows :)
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Ah it's such a lovely beautiful cinema, I hope there aren't many sticky, wriggley-riddled seats :)
Marlin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marlin »

The sad thing about all this is that it's subjective - obviously some people have gone overboard and upset a few people, but then some of the people active on the forum (not Orlovsky, who I don't know) have done precisely what they are complaining about, albeit with less of the drunken stumbling. Despite having stalls tickets, wifey and I usually sat up the back last year as we weren't really FF family and minded our own business, despite having been going for years. We just like sitting further back by ourselves. During Shadow, two seriously old school FFers moved back from their seats - but basically so they could have a chat and natter following a few drinks while they decided whether they wanted to watch the film.

I was within and inch of losing my rag, but then thought "Hell, perhaps I've been an arse too occasionally - live and let live". So I just said "Guys, please? I want to see this". They apologised and left.

There is a slight propensity to come across as sanctimonious on a forum and I don't think that is what anyone intended. However drunk, I don't know a single FFer, north or south of the border who wouldn't either immediately apologise or leave if anyone asked them to sort themselves out. And even the idea of a violent reaction is surely a joke - who wants to be barred from the best festival in the UK?

We leave the fighting to the Norwegian Death Metal fans - that was amusing!

Sorry, turned into a bit of a diatribe.

:)
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

*places a hand on his chest and looks offended*

You don't know me?!?! Me?!?!?!

:P
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

Satans Puppy wrote:*places a hand on his chest and looks offended*

I know you :) We met in a lift in Glasgow :)
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

Maniacal wrote:Does the Empire have signal blockers? I personally think all Cinemas should have them installed INSIDE the screens and not have them outside the screens.
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, the use of radio signal jammers by civilians in the UK is illegal.

Jamming equipment is illegal to use in the UK as it violates section 8 of the 2006 Wireless Telegraphy Act.

Different case in the US, loads of cinemas now have them installed as a matter of course. Works really well.

Chris
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

Pumpkin wrote:
Satans Puppy wrote:*places a hand on his chest and looks offended*

I know you :) We met in a lift in Glasgow :)
Protecting our posters from the harsh elements of Glasgow is an important job!! :)
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D