Films everyone loves... except you!

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: Films everyone loves... except you!

Post by kimblebee »

Except for the last scene (the shock twist) and of course the brilliant music video that Edgar Wright made for the Bluetones single Slight return (made only from clips of the film) - which has raised my opinion of it greatly :-)
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Oh yeah

I hate the Spiderman films. Really naff.

Raimi better up his game for World of Warcraft the movie.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
krispyg
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore
Location: Failsworth - it's midway between Oldham and Manchester

Post by krispyg »

Right take the film question aside but I can't see the love for Lucio Fulci, I watched House By The Cemetery last night and yeah ok it's not aged well but it's bloody rubbish. Unless i'm missing a masterpiece that may just change my mind about the guy I never want my doors to be darkened by him again.
"With all your superstitions
And empty lines
I could be just like you
Withdrawn but alive"
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

maxmum wrote:Oh yeah

I hate the Spiderman films. Really naff.

Raimi better up his game for World of Warcraft the movie.
That's it!!! I REFUSE to go to Frightfest with you anymore!!! You can't make statements like that and think it's okay....

In the divorce I want... Orlovsky, Giz, Sarah, Rufus and you can have the left overs... oh and I want Mario too...
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

No I want all them, except Mario you can have him.

And I'm having Doris and Feggie too.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
goregoregirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by goregoregirl »

Don't kill me, but mine would be Fight Club. I just thought it was ridiculous. I'm a fan of Chuck Palahniuk and I don't particularly have anything against David Fincher, but the ending was just lame... and I don't like Brad Pitt.
Twitter @goregoregirl
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

[quote]Don't kill me, but mine would be [b]Fight Club[/b]. I just thought it was ridiculous. I'm a fan of Chuck Palahniuk and I don't particularly have anything against David Fincher, but the ending was just lame... and I don't like Brad Pitt.[/quote]

I'm the same with Fight Club. I love the rest of Fincher's work but this film left me going 'What? That's it?' Very underwhelming.

A few others that I loathe that everyone else loves would be:

The Hangover: More *really* dull male-bonding fratpack crap, like there hasn't been enough of that since American Pie. Oh, and Mike Tyson being lauded as some kind of icon of masculinity despite being a convicted rapist. Nice.

Aliens: For me, comparing Ridley Scott to James Cameron is a bit like comparing Edvard Munch to the backward kid who swallows the paint and then uses his own sick to do his paint-by-numbers book. It has one or two nice 'jump-scare' moments and the Alien Queen has great legs but other than that is awful.

Reservoir Dogs: A derivative knock-off that went on to spawn a career of derivative knock-offs.

It's Friday and I'm in a contentious mood :twisted:
kimblebee
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by kimblebee »

Ouch, don't mess with Greg ;-) Ah, I love all of those films :-( and Tarantino is fab (can't understand why he inspired so much hatred in a lot of people)...
gregjames
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by gregjames »

[quote="kimblebee"]Ouch, don't mess with Greg ;-) Ah, I love all of those films :-( and Tarantino is fab (can't understand why he inspired so much hatred in a lot of people)...[/quote]

It's not hatred in my case. I just find his work to be very derivative and I get a bit fed up with films that hotch-potch whole scenes, soundtracks and whatnot from other films. It's an aesthetic choice that does work for a lot of people, just not for me. I am the awkward minority :D
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Two current ones for me are The Hurt Locker, i laughed at quite a few points in this movie even though most of them where intended to be serious tension filled moments. Lastly; Salo, it isn't the supposed controversy or story(?) that ruins this film for me, it's the pacing, script and lack of depth.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
HorrorMovieADay
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by HorrorMovieADay »

There are many... I see some of the ones that came to mind just on this page (Hurt Locker, Fight Club). I think my biggest would have to be THE MATRIX. I didn't dislike the film, but I watched it and was like "eh, whatever" and then for the next month I hear everyone talking nonstop about how amazing it was, so it was one of those "Did we see the same movie?" deals. I even went back a 2nd time figuring I had missed something and was even LESS impressed. To me, the story was a hodgepodge of other movies (especially DARK CITY, which I loved) and the fighting wasn't really any more impressive than the most average Jackie Chan movie. At least the sequels were largely disliked, kept me from sounding like a grouch for too long :)

For horror I think it would be Silence of the Lambs. Again, I didn't dislike it, but the Hannibal series as a whole just never interested me much, to me they were all about the same (and yes, that includes Hannibal Rising). I should give MANHUNTER another look though, haven't seen it since I was 11.

But on the whole I tend to like more hated movies than dislike beloved ones :)
Daily Horror Movie Reviews @ http://www.horrormovieaday.com
riotsarah
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by riotsarah »

Nightmare on Elm Street
Every five years or so I forget what a dog awful film it is and try and watch it again. The acting is shoddy, Freddy isn't scary and the music is SHOCKING! it might even function as a film with a better soundtrack. Robert Englund actually embarrasses me - he's awful and not even in a comical manner. Don't. Get. It.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

There's always the remake :lol:
Pukka
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pukka »

Hatchet.
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Pukka wrote:Hatchet.
I have to agree.
Hatchet was entertaining, way above average, and undeniably solid in a field that is flooded with cheap or mediocre rubbish, but i really can't seem to love it as much as so many appear to, and I'm just not buying all that "new benchmark" stuff.
I might give it another go ahead of watching the sequel this august- which I'm nonetheless looking forward to.
I loved the tag-line "Not a sequel, Not a remake, Not based on a japanese one", but when people ask me for that kind of "Old School American Horror" I tend to point them towards Feast.

(I did like your single word post, it was direct, elogant and stylish- I'm not sure whether I have ruined it's pythiness, or "swallowed the bait".)
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum