films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Pukka
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: films we just saw

Post by Pukka »

Dark Nature. Oh look, more proof that the Brits are totally inept at making horror movies.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

In the past few days saw:

Predators. Had no expectations of this. Liked the setting. Thought it was like The Cube jungle style. Did feel there was no real gelling between the characters. Shame about a particular character who was there just briefly.

Was good to hear the original music from Predator and be interesting to see if there be a another installment. Weedy Adrian Brody wielding round a bulky gun did make me smirk.

Twilight:Eclipse. Thought it was miles better than the forlorn New Moon but the script is just as laughable. The only saving graces was the fight scenes and the half naked men!
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Shawky999
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Shawky999 »

Predators (last night), much better than Predator 2, and so much better than AvP 1 and 2. But it lacked something, yes Arnie! No, it lacked any characters that I liked, Brody as an action hero wasn't right either.
I also thought it took too long to get going, maybe because I just wanted to see the group get killed!

I liked the twist at the end didn't see that one coming!
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, still holds up to this day. Even though it's only on for around an hour and 20 mins it feels so much longer.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

i hardly get anytime to watch movies lately,but with an afternoon free,i caught Predators and Eclipse,1st off Predators and my expectations were low and soon they were lowered beyond the level of any enjoyment,what we get is a rehash of the original Predator with even less characters that we care about,Adrien Brody is buffed up,the deaths arent so inventive and often wasted,they all have big guns and talk in low deep voices like they mean business!
all in all a let down,i get the feeling this is more to do with Robert Rodriguez than Nimrod Antal as the film Vacancy was pretty good,this feels messed about with and restrained to fit in with the predator fanbase rather than to do something new and develop a story,than to tread new ground so sticks comfortably with what will return money.
AVPR was more fun than this at least all the kills were fun and gruesome and the predator had some decent new weapons all in all dissapointing.
Eclipse
thoroughly enjoyed this installment,much darker in tone to the previous films and david slade delivers not only in the action,but also the characters,with backstory to the Cullens past,this provides much entertainment.
Although a lot of hardcore horror fans may not like the twilight films,not everyone is a horror fan and of these films,introduce people to search out other horror films then that has to be a positive outcome,through lending the twilight films to a colleague,i have managed to get her to watch Let The Right One In.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Predators - ok, maybe not the franchise "reboot" that we were hoping for but it does the job nonetheless. I liked the Predator dogs and the audio and visual nods to the original; but a bland cast of mostly unknowns playing wafer thin stereotypes lets it down. Imagine if it had contained the cast of The Expendables...now that would be sweet ! Talking of the Expendables..

Stiletto - the cast runs like a who's who of C-List DTV stars of the early 90's. Tom Berenger...Michael Biehn...William Forsythe..Tom Sizemore all in an OTT revenge-on-the-mob feature. It's pretty humdrum save for the scene when one of the above 4 'stars' gets a tyre wrench impaled through their heads. Nice.
This is a D-Notice situation
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Grindhouse wrote:i hardly get anytime to watch movies lately,but with an afternoon free,i caught Predators and Eclipse,1st off Predators and my expectations were low and soon they were lowered beyond the level of any enjoyment,what we get is a rehash of the original Predator with even less characters that we care about,Adrien Brody is buffed up,the deaths arent so inventive and often wasted,they all have big guns and talk in low deep voices like they mean business!
all in all a let down,i get the feeling this is more to do with Robert Rodriguez than Nimrod Antal as the film Vacancy was pretty good,this feels messed about with and restrained to fit in with the predator fanbase rather than to do something new and develop a story,than to tread new ground so sticks comfortably with what will return money.
AVPR was more fun than this at least all the kills were fun and gruesome and the predator had some decent new weapons all in all dissapointing.
I agree 100% with you (except about the abortion that was AvP: Requiem for a Franchise) not only was Brody's gun increadibly stupid looking, he (and everyone else) seemed incapable of hitting ANYTHING! A bit strange for the earth's most dangerous I thought.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

MaxRenn wrote: I agree 100% with you (except about the abortion that was AvP: Requiem for a Franchise) not only was Brody's gun increadibly stupid looking, he (and everyone else) seemed incapable of hitting ANYTHING! A bit strange for the earth's most dangerous I thought.
Not really when you take into account the defense cuts etc... they might be deadeye aim but the equipment was soooo cheap its just not fit for purpose.

Seeing Inception and Predators on Saturday :)
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Satans Puppy wrote:
MaxRenn wrote: I agree 100% with you (except about the abortion that was AvP: Requiem for a Franchise) not only was Brody's gun increadibly stupid looking, he (and everyone else) seemed incapable of hitting ANYTHING! A bit strange for the earth's most dangerous I thought.
Not really when you take into account the defense cuts etc... they might be deadeye aim but the equipment was soooo cheap its just not fit for purpose.

Seeing Inception and Predators on Saturday :)
They were all private contractors mate, tip top equipment.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Has anyone seen Isle of the Damned?

It sounds like something people would discuss here but I searched and cant find any mention of it on te entire forum

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1260052/
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Saw Inception at the weekend. What a excellent, totally engrossing, at times confusing, intelligent film.

Staggering visual effects and which you can actually watch. Not spoiled by fast edits. Some corker acting from Leo Di Caprio amongst others. Another great film from Chris Nolan.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

Haven't done one of these posts for a while, this is what I've been up to the last 3 weeks or so:

Violent Cop: Beat Takeshi police thriller. Have got the Tokyo Bullet release of this and less then half of the dialogue is subtitled. Very lame, turned it off after about 45 minutes as it was getting too frustrating. Pity, looked good.

Double Crosser: Sleazy Indonesian Peter O'Brian action flick. It's no Rambu or The Stabilizer but still good fun. Blind kid freaded me out though.

The Brood: How can you go wrong with crazy mutated midget/children. Loved it.

Storm Warriors: The sequal to Stormriders, which I thought was great. Once again it's martial arts fantasy with loads of special effects. Reminded me a bit of The Legend of Zu in that way. It all looked pretty. Enjoyed it.

Female Vampire: Jess Franco piece of shit with lots of lame soft sex scenes. Rubbish.

Lord of Illusions: been ages since I've seen this one, still good.

Rainy Dog: 2nd part in Takashi Miike's Black Society trilogy, not one of his best movies.

Lady Exterminator - Pretty lame Indonesian rape 'n revenge movie. Thought this was the Indonesian female terminator rip off but turned out it wasn't.

Lady Terminator: so this was the Indonesian terminator haha. But not really. Fit girl gets possessed by the spirit of the south sea or something and turns into a crazed killer. Not a terminator though. Still great cheesy fun.

District 9: Fookin Prawn! Good story and a good watch.

Shark Attack: Ok shark and evil scientist movie. Not bad for £1.-

Retardotron: Still one of my favourite mixtapes

Crazy Dave tape 2: Have seen this so many times now, by far the wildest and craziest mixtape I've ever seen.

Machine Head: Scientist guy finds out he can bring back the dead by attaching a lawnmower engine to their heads. Quite crappy but in a fun way, reminded me of a more low budget Henenlotter.

My Science project: Bargain bin sci fi comedy mess with a bit f a weird science feel to it near the end. Good enough for a tuesday.

Shark Attack 2: more cheesy sharks here. good cheap fun.

Starslammer: The first of loads of Fred Olen Ray movies I've watched recently. Loved this one. Lots of cheesy effects, aliens, space rats, girls, bad jokes... Great B movie.

Castle Freak: Had high hopes for this one with it being directed by Stuart Gordon and starring Jeffrey Combs. It was quite crappy and dragging though, last 20 minutes or so made it worth the watch though.

Flight to hell: Awesome B cheese with loads of ultra cheap animated effects. Love this kind of stuff.

Teenage Exorcist: Another great cheesy horror comedy. Written by Fred Olen Ray and Brinke Stevens. I'm still singing the themesong!

Club Dread: uncut edition, 1hr 53 mins. Waaaay too long, and makes you wonder what actually would have been cut out in a shorter version. Not much gore or nudity at all. Some pretty funny jokes though. But yeah, should have been 30 mins shorter.

Lady Snowblood: Great 70's gory martial arts movie.

Bikini girls from the lost planet: Fred Olen Ray erotic stuff, was all right.

Sex Android: weird french stuff with hardly any dialogue. Even at an hour long it was a boring me and I ended up fast forwarding and eventually just turning it off.

Carnage road: Another one by Al Passeri, director of such 'classics' as Mumy theme park, Plankton and Flight to hell. This was a really shitty slasher movie though with nothing good or entertaining about it.

The man from Hong Kong: Great action movie. especially loved the opening scene set on and around Ayers Rock.

Blood Car: Was really suprised by this one. Low budget but very good stuff. Funny but nasty at the same time. Reccomend it!

The rest is all Fred Olen Ray stuff:

Evil Toons: could have done with some more actual 'toons' but still pretty cool horror comedy.

Active Stealth: Straight forward action flick with that fat Baldwin brother. Not bad at all.

The Alien dead: very lame old zombie movie. Couldn't interest me at all.

Bad girls from Mars: Cheesy sexy comedy. liked it.

Billy Frankenstein: Kids movie, was all right.

Beverly Hills vamp: another sexy cheese fest horror comedy. Enjoyed it.

Attack of the 60 foot centerfolds: more skin and bad jokes. hot!
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

That's a lot of films for 3 weeks Melvin...

But great to see you've finally caught up with The Man From Hong Kong..

"You've blown it all sky high...."
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

Toy Story 3 - maybe not quite like most of the other stuff people have been watching, but it's the first time I've been to the cinema since FF 2010 and it was great to get out! Absolutely loved it, some genius ideas in there, much better than 1 and 2.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

rawshark wrote:That's a lot of films for 3 weeks Melvin...

But great to see you've finally caught up with The Man From Hong Kong..

"You've blown it all sky high...."
Had a couple of days of work with vertigo. All I can do then is lay down and wait till it passes. And watch 7 or 8 movies a day :)
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!