films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: films we just saw

Post by Meanbobs »

I'm a pretty consistent Travolta apologist, finding value in his performances in Wild Hogs, The Taking of Pelham 123, and of course Swordfish. From Paris with Love is such a retrograde, nasty, socially irresponsible action movie however, that his decision to take part in such a stupid, xenophobic film almost makes me doubt the strength of my convictions. Almost. Long live the rock of Travolta! 2*/5
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

Although I thought it portrayed the relationship between an unfortunate, misguided madman and those responsible for his welfare in an interesting and balanced light, Bronson was a bit of a stretch for me. It did a creditable job - balancing fantasy, glamour and grim reality, but it just seemed to drag, offering little development after the first half an hour or so. A good performance though. 2*
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

Piranha 3D - great, dumb fun. If you're looking for plot and decent characterisation, forget it (but then again I'm pretty sure nobody would be going to see it expecting that sort of thing). However, if you fancy some mindless gore and T&A you can't go wrong. The spring break carnage scene was particularly memorable.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

The Last Exorcism tonight! Though I haven't been impressed by the trailer!
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

saw Salt at the weekend pretty good fun, thought Jolie was good in it.
Going to see Pirahana 3D on thursday
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
Shawky999
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Shawky999 »

Last week

Knight and Day - Didn't really work for me, no romance, poor cgi action, 1 good fight scene, didn't find it funny.

The Expendables - No story, poor script! Great Action! Statham rocks! Not bad!

Step Up 3D - No Story, Poor Script! Great Dancing! Top soundtrack too! Not Bad!

Double bill tonight - Piranha and Salt!

Quick note Piranha gets a sequel after 4 days on release! Aja to direct again!
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

The Last Exorcism in fifteen minutes! Free as well. Show me them Danny Devitos!
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

Oh wow! The Last Exorcism is a belter. @roughcutreviews wasn't as fussed but I freaking loved it! It's gonna be a high to finish Frightfest with guys.
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

No surprises with Piranha 3-D, including the fact that 3-D remains a complete waste of time and money even in terms of enhancing the sorts of theme-park visceral responses the film was hoping to spark. It's like watching a movie through a dirty, grease-smeared glass jar tied to a desk fan, with the depth-perception of a first-generation Terminator. I'm not even exaggeratin'. Film was fun though - 3*.
hughzi
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by hughzi »

Hatchet 2 is great just been to the world premier!! Funny and plenty of gore!!
dnky666
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by dnky666 »

I saw A SERBIAN FILM earlier today and was going to wait until the screening on Sunday had passed to pass comment but in light of recent developments.......

I have to admit I was rather underwhelmed. Perhaps I'm just waaaaay desensitized to this sort of thing but it left me sorely underwhelmed. It certainly doesn't deserve the critical polemic heaped upon it. Have these reviewers ever seen a horror movie? It certainly doesn't deserve to be mentioned or held in the same high regard as Martyrs or Inside. I thought the message and therefore the entire point of the film was garbled and the now "infamous" set pieces were far more disturbing when I had imagined how they would look then they were actually watching them. In fact one of them is a total rip off of the finale of Nekromantik 2 all be it with the gender roles reversed. That being said, it looks really good, is nicely shot and I really like the soundtrack. But I certainly won't be having any sleepless nights or clawing out my eyes. All in all a bit of a storm in a tea-cup.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

dnky666 wrote:I saw A SERBIAN FILM earlier today and was going to wait until the screening on Sunday had passed to pass comment but in light of recent developments.......

I have to admit I was rather underwhelmed. Perhaps I'm just waaaaay desensitized to this sort of thing but it left me sorely underwhelmed. It certainly doesn't deserve the critical polemic heaped upon it. Have these reviewers ever seen a horror movie? It certainly doesn't deserve to be mentioned or held in the same high regard as Martyrs or Inside. I thought the message and therefore the entire point of the film was garbled and the now "infamous" set pieces were far more disturbing when I had imagined how they would look then they were actually watching them. In fact one of them is a total rip off of the finale of Nekromantik 2 all be it with the gender roles reversed. That being said, it looks really good, is nicely shot and I really like the soundtrack. But I certainly won't be having any sleepless nights or clawing out my eyes. All in all a bit of a storm in a tea-cup.
I would agree to a certain extent. I wasn't shocked but kept thinking that so many people who as you say have never seen a horror film would be. I enjoyed the whole film so much, actually made me smile.
JSh0k
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by JSh0k »

I thought A SERBIAN FILM was incredibly transgressive but the people who will be most shocked by it will inevitably be the people who don't see it. always the same story.
many things can be preserved in alcohol... dignity is certainly not one of them...
The DeadlySpawn
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

films we just saw

Post by The DeadlySpawn »

Eggshells - Dull, rambling, nonsense. Sorry Mr Hooper.