A Serbian Film - PULLED from line-up

The movies of 2010 still live
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: A Serbian Film - PULLED from line-up

Post by rawshark »

It is unfortunate that Westminster City Council made the decision to only allow the screening of this film with the BBFC's approval. We can understand their rationale, but their late request in this instance meant we had little time to submit the film to the BBFC and to then also wait for the BBFC's full and official response.

Regarding the cut requests, no scene is being removed entirely and the implication of everything will still be there. It will still remain a powerful film. We are still fully behind releasing this film in the UK later this year, but are sad that the cut requests came too late to us for us to make a suitable version of the film ready in time for the Frightfest screening.
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
Jackiestallone
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Jackiestallone »

I think it's (once again) dealing with the sex and violence issue as in the release (or rather not) of Grotesque. They cannot handle it. 21 secs have been removed from Spit involving the rape scenes - from what I gather the revenge violence in the second half of the film is intact. Serbian is likely tougher to cut as the sex/violence issue is something the film wallows in. Another reason that film cannot compete with literature in what it depicts - anyone read anything by Richard Laymon for example.

And yeah, the BBFC are becoming instrumental in piracy in this country. :twisted: I was aware serbian was online "someplace" for the last month or more, but wanted to respect the director and his film and see this on the big screen for the first time.
4 mins is a lot to be cut from the film, what an utter mess must be left of the print declared suitable by the BBFC.

Also, I guess we now lose the director tlking about the film which would have been interesting.

I'm not sure how the law works around things like this, but I wonder, is there a way around showing uncut films in cinema's if the local council agrees?
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

For f......really? I'm driving up with my mate Saturday morning 6am from Staffordshire. We have a day pass for frightfest, then sunday, we're going to do the tourist thing and check out A Serbian Film before driving back.
The replacement film needs to be REALLY good to justify us sticking around. It'll be 12 before we drive back possibly. :evil:\

Shit.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

In this instance it's the purview of Westminster City Council. The NFT is in someone else's jurisdiction and WCC have no say at what gets shown there.

Sometimes local authorities have overridden BBFC certificates - some allowed one of the Spiderman movies to be seen as a PG rather than a 12, and some councils only relented on Life Of Brian in the last few years - but those are rare cases and most times they don't bother unless there's massive public support. I'd be surprised if there was much public pressure to allow an uncut showing of A Serbian Film in Milton Keynes or the Isle Of Wight, say. The film could theoretically show at the London Film Festival, but not in Leicester Square.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

Any thoughts on when we will find out the back up film?
messerCHUP
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by messerCHUP »

Got a Sunday pass specifically to see this and Kaboom. Bugger.
SatansLeftNut
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by SatansLeftNut »

Dom wrote:Any thoughts on when we will find out the back up film?
I know it's a bit of a tangent but I wouldn't mind Piranha 3D! And this is just a hope but if it was Saw 3D I'd be over the moon.
twitter.com/AlexGirling
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

Heard people discussing that they'd like Burning Bright to replace it. That's not even a rumour though, just a wish. Good idea though, that's sounding like it'll sell out in the DS.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

And is a Danny Dyer in it?
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

SatansLeftNut wrote:
I know it's a bit of a tangent but I wouldn't mind Piranha 3D! And this is just a hope but if it was Saw 3D I'd be over the moon.
That's not even funny.
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

ArghZombies wrote:
Heard people discussing that they'd like Burning Bright to replace it. That's not even a rumour though, just a wish. Good idea though, that's sounding like it'll sell out in the DS.
Oh yes that would be very handy for my own selfish reasons :wink:
Jackiestallone
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Jackiestallone »

The film needs to be something big that can compensate for the loss of A Serbian Film, which was touted as the hot ticket for the festival, and especially to be fair to those that have purchased passes for the weekend/day. I imagine they're still working on what to replace it with to be honest; this must be a bloody nightmare for them in many ways, being such short notice.

Burning Bright is already out on Region 1 DVD, and Region 2 on the 6th September, so would rather it be something else, a special early screening of something upcoming.

The question is, what has been given a BBFC rating of late that could qualify?
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

The new 3D RESIDENT EVIL?
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

Frozen?
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

Kaboom? No wait...