Buried

The movies of 2010 still live
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Buried

Post by jonbly »

Two minutes into this, jonbly realised how bad this movie was going to be. It's a bloke stuck in a box... Zzz, right?

Strangely, that's not how things turned out. The whole thing was gripping and well made (though the set was a bit wooden... :lol: )

A few niggles: it's hard to believe that it would be possible for him to turn round in there... and surely a few whacks with the boot would have been a better solution than fire?

It's interesting that, just for a change, the writers had to actively give the victim a mobile phone... where we've become used to various contrived means of eliminating mobile phones from our horror movies.

8/10
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Buried

Post by Dom »

I was really frustrated with the circumstances surrounding the replacement film but when Alan Jones announced it I was so happy and the film didn't disappoint, tremendous back up film hahahahaha. Great idea, well executed and Ryan Reynolds is just off the page. Like I Spit on Your Grave I'm looking forward to seeing it again with a more mainstream audience.

Spoiler alert:
(The ending could split audiences, you invest all your time with this guy and they very boldly kill him off. Horrendous, bold, great film.)
Spencer
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Spencer »

thought this was a solid tense little movie. not much replay vales but considering this was made with american money it is pretty damning of it's own gvt and companied profiteering from the war, you also have to hand it to them for that ending. Big balls.
http://twitter.com/roughtradeshops

http://lastblogontheleft2.wordpress.com/
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

I have to admit that my first thoughts were "oh god 90 mins in a box - this is gonna be dire and the time will drag" . I planned to give it 15 mins and then make a swift exit - all thoughts of doing that disappeared after 10 mins. Great tight plot which kept me gripped and a brilliant performance by Ryan Reynolds - film of the day for me.
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by djwoody »

Brilliant performance by Ryan Reynolds and totally believable. A gripping film which, as has been said previously, is testament to Mr Reynolds & Mr Cortez for making a 90 minute film that only shows 1 guy in a box so engrossing.
A great & worthy replacement
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nekro »

for what it was it was pretty good, it was quite believable and i enjoyed it
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Quite an achievement. It maintained the tension pretty well, but given the limitations of the scenario I think they should've gone for a snappy 80 minutes rather than dragging it out to the full 90+.

If it was a big-studio film I think we would've seen a different ending!
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Really liked the replacement film. Although my niggles were mostly confined to just how much breathable air there is in a coffin. Especially when you're setting fire to half of it. Surely no one could last 90 minutes (the film seems to be told in real time) in those circumstances. You'd be breathing CO2 or whatever it is we exhale in no time? Also, as the homeland security guy tells him on the phone, the fact he's getting a signal at all means he's probably buried only a couple of feet down. So when the lid splits later on and the earth/sand starts coming in why didn't he just take a chance and try to push up anyway. If he was only a couple of feet down he'd have been out of there in no time. If he wasn't... well, things weren't looking too good for him at that point anyway so he might as well take the chance. Overall though this was really gripping, and Ryan Reynolds did a brilliant job of carrying the film basically on his own on what has got to be one of the smallest film sets ever. 8/10.
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

I felt this was a good replacement and Ryan Reynolds carried it well. Yeah, there were little niggles but overall it worked. And sparked a lively debate between hubby and me about how often does this actually happen? And how pants employers/governments/etc are. Good one!
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Solid thriller. Ryan Reynolds is great and the script even feeds you a few decent laughs in the first 30 mins before going into full-on fingernail chewing territory.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Not much I can say about this that hasn't already been said, beyond the fact that I liked it a lot. Also a terrific opening title sequence.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
narcan
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by narcan »

All through this movie I kept thinking "how's he gonna fuck a baby if he's stuck inside that box?"
Read Narcan's horror, sci-fi, exploitation & dirty movie reviews at the Grindhouse Cinema Database:
http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/User:Narcan
http://www.facebook.com/grindhousedatabase
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Great film and very cleverly made - definitely one to see
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Im really sorry we couldn't see A Serbian Film, but Buried was excellent. I thought it was one of the best films of the festival and I'm a bit claustrophobic !! Believable and intense.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
Heiko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Heiko »

Buried... was not prepared for this one, really...

I guess for me the surprise with this movie was the rather deadly end... which makes perfect sense, it's just that one was hoping that everything would turn out okay.

So yes, definitely a winner.