anyone else tired of crappy remakes ?

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
debswill
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by debswill »

instead of remaking what was a perfectly good film before they should be more innovative and create something that we havent seen before. Cannot believe they remade let the right one in :(
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: anyone else tired of crappy remakes ?

Post by rawshark »

Remakes will always happen unfortunately, but at least this year we're seeing some decent attempts.

Word on Let Me In is actually very good, and we've also had the equally acceptable The Crazies and I Spit On Your Grave this year to enjoy...

I think the rule of thumb is to avoid any remake with the names Michael Bay or Platinum Dunes in the credit block...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

and justin Beiber in the Bck to the future remake :shock:
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
The DeadlySpawn
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by The DeadlySpawn »

Yep, steer clear of anything from Platinum Dunes and you should be fine. Remakes aren't always a bad thing, Groundhog Day was a remake, and that's one of the funniest films ever made.
iateabee
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iateabee »

The DeadlySpawn wrote:Yep, steer clear of anything from Platinum Dunes and you should be fine. Remakes aren't always a bad thing, Groundhog Day was a remake, and that's one of the funniest films ever made.
Hang on—what? Groundhog Day's a remake? Tell me more—the google does nothing.
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Dont' get me started, I just about did this arguement to death on the "films everyone loves..." thread.

I recently watched both versions of The Taking of Pelham one two three

The remake isn't bad, it just doesn't have the magic of the original, it also doesn't choose to retain some of the most notable details that made the original (the colours for names, the bad flu the driver and mayor have, and all the NY attitude and wisecracks).

Like many other mediocre remakes (although decent films), I just ended up feeling like it didn't need to be a remake, give it a new title and call it an homage if you actually care about the original. If more "remakes" did this then maybe I wouldn't feel like some cynical money men are simply cashing in on an old iconic name, slapped on a vaguely thematically similar new film.

F was absolutely awesome, and the director did call it a kind of remake of Assault on Precinct 13, much like the french film The Nest. Both these films retained more of the heart of Precinct 13 than the deeply mediocre and utterly "point missing" named remake.

If you're treading on, what some consider hallowed ground, then show some love and respect, That's all.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
The DeadlySpawn
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by The DeadlySpawn »

iateabee wrote:
The DeadlySpawn wrote:Yep, steer clear of anything from Platinum Dunes and you should be fine. Remakes aren't always a bad thing, Groundhog Day was a remake, and that's one of the funniest films ever made.
Hang on—what? Groundhog Day's a remake? Tell me more—the google does nothing.
I could be, in fact, probably am wrong. I remember reading that the remake was "less schmaltzy than the original", but I don't remember where. They may have assumed that it was based on the film/short story 12:01, but the film was only released a few years before groundhog day. This is the problem with the Internet, so much misinformation everywhere, and I'm not really helping.
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

There's a simple way to get around crappy remakes. Don't watch them at the cinema or on DVD. The studios will eventually get tired of them not making money and stop producing them. You can't blame them for dishing them out if you pay money to watch them.
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

And watch the originals!

The number of people who will stand up and defend films like The Crazies remake, saying it's not too bad, or it's actually pretty scary, and people like me should stop being so mean. All of the above may well be true, but as soon as they reveal that they never have, and never will be, bothered with digging out the original Romero... That's when I stop listening to their arguement and start calling them names.

Maybe I am mean, but there's nothing worse than an uninformed oppinion, all things are relative, and in the case of remakes, relative to the first and original version!
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

If a film is worth remaking then ok, fair enough. If you can bring something new to the table, update a classic without detracting what made the original so wonderful then it may just work. Remakes will always cause contention, either it doesn't follow the story of the original closely enough or they have added too much/changed it so it's nothing like the original classic. Damned if you do etc

My own thoughts - too many remakes are just a result of lazyness/seeking an easy way of making money. A certain amount is perfectly fine but it seems like everything is ripe for remaking at the moment and you have to ask yourself at what point does it become enough? Did the F13 need to be done, Nightmare is another one thats open for questioning. Why remake foreign language films, for every one that works I bet theres at least five that don't.

I know it's a safe bet to take something already tried and tested and "reimagine" (I hate that phrase) it but I personally would rather see something new and original, even if I don't enjoy it, than see the same old paths being retread.

Then again, what constitutes original anyway, the majority of films are influenced by something else anyway. And if we are being too harsh on the remake, should we be questioning the real need for sequels, especially when they get to stupid numbers.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com