films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

The DeadlySpawn wrote:Eggshells - Dull, rambling, nonsense. Sorry Mr Hooper.
Where his career ended up really
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: films we just saw

Post by sherbetbizarre »

If anyone is in tonight, Sky Arts 1 are showing this

http://americangrindhouse.com/

...at 10:30.
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

Well, Lovefilm managed to confuse the hell out of me - I requested 'Strip Nude For Your Killer' by Andrea Bianchi, they sent me a disk that very clearly said 'My Dear Killer', except the plastic wallet it was in said it was 'Strip Nude...' by Tonino Valerii... WHAT!?

So, after a quick look online, I watched 'My Dear Killer' by Tonino Valerii... I think...

But, er, it wasn't worth all the confusion to be honest - it, itself, was pretty confusing, I didn't really follow the plot, then the ending was pretty unsatisfying too. The crane decapitation in the opening scene is pretty cool, though! So, it was alright, nothing special though.
"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're *British*, you know..."
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

world_of_skin wrote:Well, Lovefilm managed to confuse the hell out of me - I requested 'Strip Nude For Your Killer' by Andrea Bianchi, they sent me a disk that very clearly said 'My Dear Killer', except the plastic wallet it was in said it was 'Strip Nude...' by Tonino Valerii... WHAT!?

So, after a quick look online, I watched 'My Dear Killer' by Tonino Valerii... I think...

But, er, it wasn't worth all the confusion to be honest - it, itself, was pretty confusing, I didn't really follow the plot, then the ending was pretty unsatisfying too. The crane decapitation in the opening scene is pretty cool, though! So, it was alright, nothing special though.
Oh dear, multiple titles followed by Italian names invariably means you're in for something rare, exciting but generally mediocre.

The number of films that I've been underwhelmed by twice, after buying a dvd that bares no resemblance to anything in my vhs collection I'll start getting deja vu in the second reel. There's a good reason why companies like Vipco don't put any art on the cover.

And "lovefilm" really don't, you should support your local independant videoshop, if you got one in Buckingham...

On the subject of dire films, I just saw The Bleeding, utter nonsense and Vinnie Jones' worst performance to date, the fucking faces he pulled, he looked more constipated than vampiric. Even worse than Animals or Blackout, I keep buying cool looking horrors from the new release list, only to realise later exactly why I hadn't heard of them- will I never learn?!
Last edited by Mr Bill on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Invictus superb film one of Eastwoods best.
Body Of Lies
ok not one of Ridley Scotts best films but its ok.
Mutants
from the goody bag,not bad at all a sort of mix of 28days later and zombie virus on mulberry st,worth watching if you got it for free.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

films we just saw

Post by MaxRenn »

Scott Pilgrim vs the World - this seems to be shaping up as this year's ultimate Marmite film. I have to say I didn't fancy it at all heading in, but as it's Edgar Wright I felt I needed to see it.

Sorry I doubted you Edgar, Scott Pilgrim is fantastic. I spent two hours with a big stupid grin on my face. It's funny, exciting and innovative, I loved it.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Alice, Sweet Alice AKA Communion.

Felt like i was watching a Gialli then an all out slasher movie, God damn i hate creepy kids.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

Mr Bill wrote: Oh dear, multiple titles followed by Italian names invariably means you're in for something rare, exciting but generally mediocre.

The number of films that I've been underwhelmed by twice, after buying a dvd that bares no resemblance to anything in my vhs collection I'll start getting deja vu in the second reel. There's a good reason why companies like Vipco don't put any art on the cover.

And "lovefilm" really don't, you should support your local independant videoshop, if you got one in Buckingham...

On the subject of dire films, I just saw The Bleeding, utter nonsense and Vinnie Jones' worst performance to date, the fucking faces he pulled, he looked more constipated than vampiric. Even worse than Animals or Blackout, I keep buying cool looking horrors from the new release list, only to realise later exactly why I hadn't heard of them- will I never learn?!
Oi, I might live in 'Hot Fuzz' Land but, yes, even we have a videoshop :P And of course I support it! I'm a member, I do rent from them, but I am with Lovefilm (as evil as they are) too - it helps indecisive people like me! The people at the videoshop find my agonising quite funny I think - I'll pace back and forth, surveying the walls, with an armful of different choices in my, er.. arms, and then I'll have such a hard time picking one that whoever is with me will generally hold the final choices behind their back and make me pick a hand... It's the only way we're ever going to leave the shop!

I quite like a random film (from my list) turning up at my door - it's a bit like mini-Christmas :)

My local shop always seem to be doing pretty well though - I often can't get whatever horror I want there, that day, because the copy(/copies) is(/are) already booked out by other people. I don't get to go back to the one I used to work in all that often though because it's a bit of a trek from where I live now.

Have I redeemed myself yet?
"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're *British*, you know..."
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Mr Bill wrote:And "lovefilm" really don't, you should support your local independant videoshop, if you got one in Buckingham...
[/b]
That's all very well, if you don't really want to see anything more than a couple of years old. If you're after obscurities, arthouse or cult movies, you're out of luck. On the other hand, the online companies are sending me shedloads of stuff that there's not a cat in hell's chance of Blockbuster even being able to spell, let alone put on the rental shelf.

Here in Bedford we've a mini-Blockbuster Express with, at a guess, hardly pre-2005, and a Hollywood Nites which is actually even smaller; maybe a dozen foreign language titles between them. That's all, save for the DVD rack in the corner shop - again, stocking nothing that isn't off the Top 20 lists.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

Mr Street, as always, makes a good point, in his own characteristically ernest way.

Blockbusters are indeed all about the new releases, and although they'll cover them quite well (for a very limited time), they dont retain them in the library into the future, they've also spent the last few years selling off their back catalogue of world cinema and classics. Furthermore, many independant videoshops or smaller chains seem to opperate a similar business model, kind of a poor man's Blockies, which may explain why they often aren't doing so well.

My shop was one such "Poor man's Blockbuster" when I took it over four months ago, and only a loyal base of local customers were keeping it barely afloat. New releases account for most of my business and I know full well that they are my bread and butter, but I have also added around a thousand titles to the back catalogue of older films, particularly World Cinema and Arthouse, and the demand is out there. As I continue to improve the library and all round service (I also have a broader new release section and lower prices than any competition I'm aware of) I do seem to be signing up new members from further afield- who consider my place worth walking clean past Blockbuster to get to. I've heard both good and bad things about love film, and haven't formed a clear oppinion on them, because either way, enough people would rather come to me.

My next improvement will be to obtain the entire 72 film DPP "videonasties" list, and offer that as both a rental library for customers and a reference library for students and journalists, who following Jake West's documentary at Frightfest 10, may well be studying the unique cinematic epoch with renewed vigour.
Could be worth a trip for those in London, I'm on the Northern line- right next to Balham tube, and I'll always do the fairest rates or extra days if needed, for fellow frightfesters.

I forget where "the hell of streetrw's own making" is, but he and any other frightfest regulars (even those who consider me an obnoxious drunk) will always be welcomed here at Filmnight Balham, tell me what would make the place better, or even worth the trip.
So come on down... I've got Zombie Women of Satan ?!

World of Skin is of course entirely redeemed through her videoshop background, impulse or even random film choosing is a very valid way to go, but hands behind a mate's back is a better way to go about it than love film, many people I know say they are forever sending back films they've already seen or never wanted. Gamer and The Ugly Truth both have Gerard Butler in- but you couldn't substitute one for the other without completely changing the entire tone of your movie night. (But you'd be better off skipping both films- trust me.)
If I'm honest World of Skin was never in need of redemption, I don't post out dvds to people (yet!), If I ever do start sending you or other people films in the post, just don't tell me that love film sometimes meet your needs better, I'll get jealous! Carry on watching good films from whatever source you can get them... just don't tell me!

(sorry if this post reads like an advert, but it is a very tough industry for independants, and any 3 films for £5 is fucking awesome value!)
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Mr Bill wrote:My shop was one such "Poor man's Blockbuster" when I took it over four months ago, and only a loyal base of local customers were keeping it barely afloat. New releases account for most of my business and I know full well that they are my bread and butter, but I have also added around a thousand titles to the back catalogue of older films, particularly World Cinema and Arthouse, and the demand is out there. As I continue to improve the library and all round service (I also have a broader new release section and lower prices than any competition I'm aware of) I do seem to be signing up new members from further afield- who consider my place worth walking clean past Blockbuster to get to. I've heard both good and bad things about love film, and haven't formed a clear oppinion on them, because either way, enough people would rather come to me.
Which is great. More DVD shops should be like that.
I forget where "the hell of streetrw's own making" is, but he and any other frightfest regulars (even those who consider me an obnoxious drunk) will always be welcomed here at Filmnight Balham, tell me what would make the place better, or even worth the trip.
I did say - "Here in Bedford". It's an hour by train, plus tube. Not really workable to rent things from, though.
So come on down... I've got Zombie Women of Satan ?!
Ya just killed it stone dead. :)

Meanwhlie, LF have sent me Night Of The Demon - rubbish video nasty on Vipco, still cut, and pretty terrible though the final reel perks up a bit.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Pukka
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pukka »

'Tried' to watch something on the scifanny channel a few days ago called Dinocroc vs Supergator :(
The original Dinocroc was fun, but I can't comment on Supergator.
Jim wynorski has totally lost whatever little qualities he once had as a film maker (Chopping Mall, oh dear how long ago was that.) And I was shocked to see some quality names in the credits Tony Randel on the editing and Wynorski fave Chuck Cirino on musical chores - aided by two other people! Sci Fy would be wise to ditch those two spares in future to save money :)

I gave it 10 minutes.

Oh & poor David Carradine looked half dead.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

DEVIL. A very very good film in my opinion. M night shamalama ding dong CAN write good stuff, but i feel it's his execution of material that is his weakness.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Isolation, a very underrated movie in my opinion.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

The Girl Who Played With Fire - lacks the killer set-up of the first film and has some frankly laughable plot twists. What a let down.