films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: films we just saw

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

I'd reccomend High Lane (vestige) which came out on DVD about two months ago, but has largely been ignored, (apart from a brief mention in Kim Newman's film dungeon/Empire magazine).

Above average French horror about a group of tourists who go mountain climbing, and get into dificulty, before turning into a Slasher film.

The first half is genuinely gripping- with some spectacular scenery adding to the sense of peril/ the slasher hillbilly second half is more routine, but certainly worth a watch.

Also got round to watching The Loved Ones, after wrongly choosing to skip it during the festival. What a mistake! Awesome.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

soberdave72@hotmail.com wrote:I'd reccomend High Lane (vestige) which came out on DVD about two months ago, but has largely been ignored, (apart from a brief mention in Kim Newman's film dungeon/Empire magazine).

Above average French horror about a group of tourists who go mountain climbing, and get into dificulty, before turning into a Slasher film.

The first half is genuinely gripping- with some spectacular scenery adding to the sense of peril/ the slasher hillbilly second half is more routine, but certainly worth a watch.
Agreed. I scribbled something about it just yesterday:

http://streetrw.blogspot.com/2010/10/ve ... -lane.html
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

Found High Lane to be middling to poor for me.

Just watched Enter The Void last night. Not like anything else i've seen and git from it what I expected. Brilliant at parts dull in others not a masterpiece but recommended if you surrender to it's bloated, floaty pointlessness.
Last edited by daveroughcut on Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

At the cinema in the past week - 'The Town' and Joe Dante's 'The Hole'.

Like most things, 'The Hole' didn't need to be in 3D - if it hadn't been for all the (very entertaining) scared children in the cinema, I'd've wished I'd waited for this one to come out on DVD I think. Not sure how this kids/family film would go down with FF'ers as it's obviously incredibly soft/mellow compared to the sort of stuff we usually watch. It's more charming than anything else, really. Lots of time spent on characterisation. Some bits really are quite creepy though, like one part where somebody (a dead little girl, as it happens) scuttles horizontally across the floor like an insect, then sort of swoops down and disappears into the big black hole - don't think kids are used to unnatural, other-wordly movements like that! Creepy dolls always get people too. There's scenes with genuine tension, even for adult folk, definitely. So, yeah, it's pretty good, definitely worth a watch I'd say, but it can easily wait till it's out on DVD :) It did feel quite Eerie Indiana at times, which I used to really like, but this film is nowhere near Gremlins' league.

Oh, and, watched on DVD over the past week or so: New York Ripper, Braindead, Scanners, Wishmaster and Razorblade Smile.
"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're *British*, you know..."
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

I watches The Loved Ones.

I heart The Loved Ones. Superb.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Let Me In

I really liked it. I think for those coming to this for the first time they will love it. People who love the original will of course find fault with the US remake but to me it kept the feel of the original and was only slightly less subtle.

It's only let down for me was some terrible CGI although I seem to remember the CGI cats weren't that great in the original.

Probably an unnecessary remake but certainly one of the best English language remakes I've seen.
mark
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by mark »

got to agree with the above. if it was not overshadowed by the superb original Let Me In would be on everyones "films of the year" list - beautifully done.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Let me in- i was skeptical at first, but now i can put it in that rare category where original and remake are pretty much on par. CGI was a little hokey, but don't let it stop you from watching it.

Point break- oh yeah, :mrgreen: Someone actually came out of this (obviously never had seen it before) and said 'that was so bad! it was just cheesy and predictable!) OMG! I love noobs! i can appreciate that HE had never seen it, but somone must have told him about it or he must have heard of it before now?
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

The Social Network - well directed by Fincher as always - film overall however is disappointing - characters are not very likeable and by the end you dont really care!!!!!!!!!!!

Also caught some films at LFF:

Everything Must Go - Will Ferrell is good - a simple idea and easy watch

Conviction - one of the best films this year for me - Hilary Swank is sensational

Cold Weather - not very good.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

I saw Cold Weather at the LFF last night. I can see why you maybe wouldn't like it but I thought it was a pretty original form of film making. Loved the ad libbed dialogue and whole scenes without dialogue and the general naturalistic feel to the whole thing. It also made me laugh quite frequently.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Re Cold Weather - yes it did have some good bits but was just a bit too slow and plodding overall.

Caught another couple of films at LFF:

The American - thought is was good but didnt like the ending

Dark Love (Italian film) - 2 hours of nothing - very dull
markR
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by markR »

Finally got around to watching Dead Snow on DVD yesterday and The Human Centipede at Prince Charles.

Dead Snow: Not bad. Like the black comedy streak though it, particularly the guy who saws his arm off when it gets bitten, then gets it in the groin! Is there supposed to be a smilar film coming out soon with nazi zombies? Can't remember if it is British or American?

The Human Centipede: Best horror film i've seen ages. Original, fresh, funny, sick, and best villain i've seen in a long time! At first was getting annoyed with the cheesy lines and acting - but then realised it was done on purpose? Yes? Can anyone confirm that it was a stab at horror cliche humour? In any case - great! And after meeting Tom Six at Frightfest, I can't wait for the sequel!
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

Reanimator wrote: Dark Love (Italian film) - 2 hours of nothing - very dull
Oh my goodness this was dull but somehow frustrating as well as tedious. I couldn't even bear to stay for the Q&A.
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

markR wrote:Finally got around to watching Dead Snow on DVD yesterday and The Human Centipede at Prince Charles.

Dead Snow: Not bad. Like the black comedy streak though it, particularly the guy who saws his arm off when it gets bitten, then gets it in the groin! Is there supposed to be a smilar film coming out soon with nazi zombies? Can't remember if it is British or American?
not thinking of Outpost are you?
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
markR
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by markR »

xBIGJOEx wrote:not thinking of Outpost are you?
I don't think so. I was sure I read something on the internet about an upcoming horror flick with nazi zombies. Hmm. Maybe I am getting my wires crossed.

In any case I haven't seen Outpost yet! Any good? Better than Dead Snow?