films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: films we just saw

Post by xBIGJOEx »

Watched race with the devil on friday night really enjoyed it
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

It's a classic! Did the ending remind you of any other newish movie?
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

none in particular what did you have in mind?
surprised i hadnt seen it before as i am a big fan of "occult" horror especially 70s stuff, thought the sense of paranoia was really well built up.
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

I thinking of a film shown at the very end of FrightFest last year.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Before glasgow frightfest began i managed (i don't know how?) to catch a showing of WAKE WOOD at the cineworld on the thursday at the same time as most people were watching battle royal 3D (Which i heard the 3D was 'questionable).

Oh my goodness! I loved this film! This is the second time that glasgow has givne me the chills (the first was dorothy mills) Another irish based film, coincidence?

It has some classic elements to it cribbed from 'the wickerman' 'don't look now', and many other classic films from old. Timothy spall just oozes creepy awesome in this and the only way he is outdonw it this is by the little girl played by ella connelly.

From the first chilling opening to the final haunting end, WAKE WOOD makes you feel cold to the bone and make you think about that all important question; 'What would you do to see a loved one who had died recently one last time?'
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

daveroughcut wrote:Exorcismus - can i borrow that winchester? They ram every Exorcist rip off moment into the first act and then try and go Emily Rose. Also as it is from the producers of Rec someone thought it would be an idea to copy the camera style despite it not being a found footage film. Now i do not have any issue with rack zooms and handheld camera work but it felt really out of place when you should be attempting to build an atmosphere of tension or dread. Total balls.
Excorcismus is... an experience. I recommend watching it with a few mates. It's a devil of a drinking game, IMHO!

Let me know what you make of it :-)
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

Ironclad - pretty good but got a bit tedious, some nice gore and effects mind.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

films we just saw

Post by daveroughcut »

DoctorKaren wrote:
Excorcismus is... an experience. I recommend watching it with a few mates. It's a devil of a drinking game, IMHO!

Let me know what you make of it :-)
That is what a thought of it. Guff.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

films we just saw

Post by MaxRenn »

Been lucky enough to see an advance screening of Insidious, the new film from James Wan and Leigh Wannel and I want to shout about it till the timbers rattle. It's brilliant! I must have jumped about six times. Don't expect another Saw, there's no gore at all. But this is a brilliantly made spook show in the vein of The Haunting, Legend of Hell House, and Poltergeist. I won't say more, as I don't won't to spoil it, but see it on opening night with a full house, there will be popcorn flying everywhere.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

UBER jealous Mr Renn!

Recently watched The Rite, Anthony Hopkins steals the show while the rest fall behind.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Battle: Los Angeles:

All spectacle with zero substance.

Main gripe: The shaky camera-work, designed to make feel you are on the ground with the troops, is undone by the incessant orchestral score, which reminds you that you are watching a movie and kills any "documentary feel" the film could have aimed for.

In short: If the battle scenes played without music it would have been much better.

And they should have drowned out all the "Marines never quit!" corny dialogue too
LaidToRest
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by LaidToRest »

[quote="Maniacal"]UBER jealous Mr Renn!

Recently watched The Rite, Anthony Hopkins steals the show while the rest fall behind.[/quote]

What movie is your avatar from looks good.
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

MaxRenn wrote:Been lucky enough to see an advance screening of Insidious, the new film from James Wan and Leigh Wannel and I want to shout about it till the timbers rattle. It's brilliant! I must have jumped about six times. Don't expect another Saw, there's no gore at all. But this is a brilliantly made spook show in the vein of The Haunting, Legend of Hell House, and Poltergeist. I won't say more, as I don't won't to spoil it, but see it on opening night with a full house, there will be popcorn flying everywhere.
You've just made my day! I've been desperate for a decent spook story for ages!
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

LaidToRest wrote:
Maniacal wrote:UBER jealous Mr Renn!

Recently watched The Rite, Anthony Hopkins steals the show while the rest fall behind.

What movie is your avatar from looks good.
It's the "Hell" sequence from a movie called 'Event Horizon', it's a brilliant underrated film in my opinion.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

The Resident
Brand new Hammer production with Hilary Swank moving into spacious Brooklyn apartment and terrorized by an unwanted visitor at night...

This is getting terrible reviews but I really enjoyed it! But yes, it is pretty predictable for the most part...