Hobo with a Shotgun @FrightFest Glasgow

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

The Rutger came, the Rutger saw, the Rutger shot... and shot and shot!

What did everyone think to Jason Eisener's colourful film?

Personally, I like a little more fear in my films, but this was certainly done with pizzazz. And I did love the kebabies...
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Hobo with a Shotgun @FrightFest Glasgow

Post by streetrw »

Shameful and despicable. If this is the way genre cinema's going, I might well give it up.
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

bloody hell streetrw thats a big statement whats so "shameful and despicable" about it, i havent seen it so have no point of reference
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

It was okay. Not what I thought it would be didn't expect the Troma style splatter. Loved The Plague and would like to see a feature with them though I wasn't expecting the flick to spin off the planet quite so much.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

I liked his colourful underpants
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Fun and it was enjoyable but by then i'd had enough...

Needed more "fright" at Frightfest this time
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
rach
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by rach »

I loved it!!!! Awesome fun and some hilarious moments.....
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

streetrw wrote:Shameful and despicable. If this is the way genre cinema's going, I might well give it up.
Whoa! *Mod hat on* Why shameful and despicable? Strong words, but why? You need to back up that kind of statement, really.
Forum moderator, university Film Studies lecturer and movie journalist for mags including Little White Lies, Scream, Fangoria and the FrightFest eMagazine. I'm the one shaking and screaming at every screening.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

DoctorKaren wrote:
streetrw wrote:Shameful and despicable. If this is the way genre cinema's going, I might well give it up.
Whoa! *Mod hat on* Why shameful and despicable? Strong words, but why? You need to back up that kind of statement, really.

I refer the right honourable lady to the review I put up on my blog at the start of the month (a few days after coming back from Glasgow). http://streetrw.blogspot.com/2011/03/ho ... otgun.html

I don't want to rehash the whole thing here, but basically I found it absolutely mean-spirited, ugly to look at, morally empty, and too satisfied with its own excesses. It felt like a Troma film, and had the same ethos of "anything for a cheap laugh", no matter how gross or grotesque, and in all honesty I found the whole movie nothing but a celebration of gratuitous violence. I still maintain that if I'd been in an aisle seat I'd have walked out at the school bus sequence.

And I felt considerably less comfortable with its excesses than I did with those in A Serbian Film. At least A Serbian Film thinks it has a point to make (it does, although not as much as it thinks, and it's made terribly well).
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

If you love trashy '80s horrors with a sense of humour, you'll probably lap this up. I wasn't always sure whether some of the dialogue was intentionally funny, or just plain bad, while some of the performances were manically over the top. This film reminded me of Mad Max, Caligula and Tokyo Gore Police all mixed up - yes, this film is really that bonkers! But did anyone else think that Rutger Hauer is the cleanest hobo they have ever seen? 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Superbeasto
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Superbeasto »

I loved it! Thought it was hilarious throughout, and as others have mentioned was very reminiscent of old Troma movies. I didn't really see that as a bad thing, and it was way more entertaining than any Troma films I can recall. Think it's main strength was that it wasn't just making fun of those movies or making an homage to them, it really is one of those movies in both energy and spirit. For that reason I found it more thrilling than Planet Terror (which I also enjoyed).

Just so much fun and energy in it, and I really don't see why someone would find the violence reprehensible, it was after all portrayed in a very over the top cartoon fashion. It's like saying Tom and Jerry was disgusting. As for the school bus, maybe I'm sick but I can't see how anyone with a sense of humor and a keen grip on reality could see it as anything other than hilarious. Oh well, different strokes and all that.
DoctorKaren
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by DoctorKaren »

streetrw wrote:
DoctorKaren wrote:
I refer the right honourable lady to the review I put up on my blog at the start of the month (a few days after coming back from Glasgow). http://streetrw.blogspot.com/2011/03/ho ... otgun.html

The gentleman provides a deft defence for his case. Thanks, mate :-)