Final Destination 5 - 3D

Pick at the bones of 2011's films
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Final Destination 5 - 3D

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - pretty good, though the tricks are getting a bit transparent now... showing us a hundred lethal objects then killing them off with the least dangerous looking (chalk dust?). As usual, the 3D was 80% pointless (in the talky bits), 10% pretty good (in the kills-designed-to-look-good-in-3D), and 10% awful (action sequences). Overall it was a detractor. The twist at the end was pretty sweet, though.
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Final Destination 5 - 3D

Post by Meanbobs »

I've always been a fan of the Final Destination movies - for me they are the perfect vacuous movie night treats. I think the filmmakers have done the right thing in turning the series towards comedy and self-parody with 5, both in the casting and obvious self-reflexivity of the "plot". I am strongly against the 3D disease of the past few years when it applies to cinema, but in recent episodes, at the very least, Final Destination has been far more of an overt theme park attraction than an effort to make films. In this context, 3D does actually add to the experience. If you're laughing, you're having fun, and if you're having fun then a review must be: Good! +1 Bonus point for Emma Bell.
boxman1980
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by boxman1980 »

Great crowd pleasing frightfest film. Imensly entertaining and fun to watch. Haven't seen parts 3&4 and I guess I don't need to now. 9/10.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." Mark Twain
Pumpkin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Pumpkin »

Shockingly, I haven't actually ever seen a Final Destination film! I really enjoyed this (althought the 3D gave me a cracking headache). Anybody else think that the main guy (who turns a bit psycho) was a mini-tom Cruise?
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A big improvement on the poor previous instalment and a good addition to the franchise. Does what we expect - a string of inventive deaths - well and with humour. I liked how it played with how the victims were going to die and the links to the previous films. However, to state the obvious, not a lot was really new about the film. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Still basically the same film again, but this was an improvement on parts 3 and 4. Played slightly less for laughs, and the characters were (slightly) less asinine than usual. Quite enjoyed it, I must admit.

And I have to say, the combination of CG, 3-D and sound design on the opening sequence was pretty spectacular.

The Final Destination franchise is the modern equivalent of Friday the 13th, I think - the original wasn't really very much better than the sequels, which makes the sequels more bearable (unlike the Halloween, Elm Street or Saw franchises, for example, which just seemed to get worse and worse).
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Great deaths, saw the ending coming a mile off (and I've only ever seen 1 and 2 and they were on TV).

If ever this was made for a festival crowd and the audience reactions hightened the enjoyment of the movie then this was it, but it was rollocking good fun.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

I've not seen Final Destinations 1-4 but this was bloody good fun and a total riot, good cheese.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

Expected to hate it, loved it from start to finish, that's all.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Great fun - you know what to expect but it does it well
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Another highlight for me.

Really enjoyed this one. I thought it be another dumb film

Liked the Tony Todd intro

Some really good deaths in this one and made good use of the 3D. Thought it was corker, the tie in to the first film.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It's just great fun. Exactly the same as the other movies, with a nice twist towards the end; an improvement on the fourth episode. Good 3D (better than the Real 3D).

http://streetrw.blogspot.com/2011/08/fi ... ion-5.html
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
iateabee
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by iateabee »

Pumpkin wrote:Anybody else think that the main guy (who turns a bit psycho) was a mini-tom Cruise?
That's Miles Fisher, who's definitely a Tom Cruise-lite. He's also a singer, and the video for his latest song is an 80s pastiche, featuring the cast of Final Destination getting killed off all over again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNEQAXX43g

He also made a music video a couple of years ago where he re-enacts key scenes from American Psycho. It's incredibly well done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cPuaqGZGro
leathercamp
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by leathercamp »

Great credits and then opening scene which really worked in 3D. Beautiful 'gymastic' scene. Then it petered out a tad and the 3D just annoyed me... i watched the talkie bits with my glasses off... how much brighter is the image without specs?.. looked much nicer. Specs will be the death of 3D (again)... not till we can watch films in cinema without glasses will it survive.
Oh.. great ending too. The death montage at end was crap in 3d.
Satans Puppy
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Satans Puppy »

A breath of fresh air after the abysmal fourth instalment!!

The deaths were great but the acting was pretty dire...
[url=http://www.peopleofifrit.net/]Puppy's Blog! Yes Indeed... updated regularly[/url]

[b]Disclaimer:[/b] This post may contain... more than likely contains an idiotic comment, feel free to ignore and move on :D