films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

I know what you mean about Poseidon being grizzly, it was much more graphic than I was expecting it to be.

the wave hitting the ship is the best part, must have looked great on IMAX. wasn't too keen on the rest of the film though.
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

Ok, I know it's not horror, but I saw United 93 yesterday, and I've got to say it's one of the most powerful films I think I've ever seen...

I was on the verge of tears quite a few times (!), and the last shot will stay with me for quite some time.

Truly astounding, incredible and harrowing.. I urge all of you to check it out as soon as you can...
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
ScreamQueen
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by ScreamQueen »

I don't know if it's a good idea I see United 93...

I was in nyc a couple of weeks back and had to leave St Pauls Chapel ('The Little Chapel that Stood' - across the road from ground zero) because I was bawling my eyes out. Not to mention that we flew United. If I watch that film I fear I might have trouble getting on any plane ever again, let alone a United flight!

I know it irrational. But aren't most fears?
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

I watched United 93 last week, was really unsure if I should go, I was really worried that it would be too hard to watch and too gut wrenching.

But now I'm really glad I went, I though it was really fantastic, there's a lot more to it than just the plane, there's a lot of stuff from round the country in the air control and military flight places.

I'd really recommend people going to see it, it's really well made and does a a really good job of telling to story of what happened on the flight.

It is disturbing and hard to watch, but I'd still say everyone should go and see it.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Good on you Alex!!! :lol:

I know you weren't keen on this because of the above reasons. :cry:

It is a moving and heartbreaking film. With a cast on unknowns the film seems more real.

I advise anyone to see this film should then a slightly happier film for cheering up!!! Which I did last week before The Omen now that was funny :wink:
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Thanks, really glad I went in the end.

Just been to see something totally different, just got back from watching The Notorious Betty Page, which was great.

It's a biopic of the 50s pinup model Betty Page, I didn't realise it was going to be in black & white, that really adds to the flavour of the film.

I really enjoyed it, Gretchen Mol is fantastic as Betty.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Sounds rather interesting!! Will keep my eye out for that!!!
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

I saw Thank You For Smoking last night which was pretty good... Aaron Eckhart is superb in it, and JK Simmons (from the Spider-Man films) is great in one of the supporting roles... don't like that kid actor Cameron Bright though, he's just creepy looking.
First things first, stay calm.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

I really liked Thank You For Smoking, it's a bit all over the place but an interesting watch.

I always think of JK Simmons as Vern Schillinger from Oz.

Going to go an watch Election tonight, already seen it but really want to see a Johnny To film at a UGC cinema after watching them on DVD for years.
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Election is okay, a little over-rated I thought... although I watched it as one of my in-flight movies back in February, hardly the best way to watch a film! I still think SPL is the best HK film of recent times though.
First things first, stay calm.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

For me it's the other way around, thought SPL was good but not great, apart from that amazing fight in the alleyway.

Where as I loved Election, but I'm a huge Johnnie To fan, that's why I'm going to to see it again tonight.

I know what you mean about seeing films on planes, I never know if that really counts as having really watched the film.
Alex Kidd
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Alex Kidd »

Just got back from seeing Election for the second time, thought it was even better this time around, it made a lot more sense and was much easier to follow. Makes me really want to see Election 2 now.
jimbo
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by jimbo »

soulmining wrote:... in-flight movies... hardly the best way to watch a film!
Unless, of course, that film is Snakes on a Plane. They should do one of those special screenings, like when they showed American Werewolf in the Aldwych disused tube station - get a trashed plane or something, and show SOAP...
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Not a film....but.....just seen the last episode of LOST 2nd season.

Can't wait for the next one! Hope it starts back in September in the states!
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

I just saw The Lost and was pretty impressed by it..

Admittedly it was pretty bleak, but had a stonking soundtrack and was (in the majority) extremely well-crafted for such a low-budget indie film..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451102/

Maybe we'll get to see it at FF...

On other FF news, I've just heard that there will be two more FrightFest Presents DVD titles winging our way soon..

I can't confirm titles yet, but I'm sure the FF team will let us know very soon...[/b]
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?