The Rough Guide to FrightFest

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
IreneLouise
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by IreneLouise »

Marlin wrote:With all due respect, it seems the opinions on the festival are becoming like a collection of the same rants that occur every year.

People aren't nice enough to newbies - check.

It's all racial - check.

Drunk people are annoying - check.

People got in the way during freebie handouts - check.

Much as I understand SOME of these issues, the reality is it's a festival. Go to Reading, Glastonbury or V and exactly the same things happens, times ten. Give Cannes or Austin a go and you'll scream. I go to major festivals all over the world, and the reality is, if free shit is up for grabs, ticket holders tend to go for it.

The racist thing really pisses me off - I'm surrounded by black people who seem to enjoy the whole thing without issue. Perhaps we all need to look at ourselves a bit when it comes to getting involved. If you chat and make the effort, most people will do likewise - my neighbours seem happy enough. There isn't a racial bone in this festival's anatomy.
I had racial issues & didn't go expecting it. I spike to people around me & got disgusted looks or ignored. My other half who is Caucasian had not issues with anyone. Even when I was with him people would ignore me & address him even if I had asked a question.

The people around only changed their opinion of me when I refused to leave their belongings unattended. And flagged them down to draw their attention to me!

I had a great time at Frightfest, but I was just shocked that the behaviour was worse that when I went to a music festival just prior.

I went to Download & Sonisphere this year & did not get treated as bad as this.
@IreneLouiseLDN
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: The Rough Guide to FrightFest

Post by PeterPan »

Marlin wrote:With all due respect, it seems the opinions on the festival are becoming like a collection of the same rants that occur every year.

People aren't nice enough to newbies - check.

It's all racial - check.

Drunk people are annoying - check.

People got in the way during freebie handouts - check.

No doubt I'll be called a nazi for this post, but I find it very sad that certain people pick up on the nitty gritty and seem to look to complain. A lot of effort goes in to the whole weekend and just because it doesn't achieve A1 status from every single person who isn't a WASP comes across, to me, as sour grapes.

Just an alternative viewpoint.

:)
People aren't nice to newbs - As a newb 2 years ago I now count many FF's as some of my most lovely friends.

Drunk people are annoying - There's alcohol available during this festival?

I gotta admit the annual rant threads after the festival are pretty ridiculous. People you've paid for the ticket but you've gotta put some effort in as well. Maybe relax a little too. I thought these things were supposed to be fun. If something pisses you off. Just move on, not every molehill needs to be a mountain. Phones piss you off? There's an Ian Rattaray for that. Hell I had some dude put his legs on my shoulders all weekend. I think he was a bit fruity but I had a beer and forgot about it.

Hey adding a smiley ensures you cannot be called a nazi by the way.
"The little pissed Welsh tit is here. And pissed"
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

IreneLouise wrote:
I had racial issues & didn't go expecting it. I spike to people around me & got disgusted looks or ignored. My other half who is Caucasian had not issues with anyone. Even when I was with him people would ignore me & address him even if I had asked a question.

The people around only changed their opinion of me when I refused to leave their belongings unattended. And flagged them down to draw their attention to me!

I had a great time at Frightfest, but I was just shocked that the behaviour was worse that when I went to a music festival just prior.

Is it fair to blame the festival though. I'm sure there are ignorant racist dicks in all walks of life. Horror fans aren't immune.

Unfortunately you may have met some. Whereas at those other festivals you didn't.
IreneLouise
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by IreneLouise »

PeterPan wrote:
IreneLouise wrote:

Is it fair to blame the festival though. I'm sure there are ignorant racist dicks in all walks of life. Horror fans aren't immune.

Unfortunately you may have met some. Whereas at those other festivals you didn't.
I am not blaming the festival... I had a great time at Frightfest!

It was just the people that disappointed me.
@IreneLouiseLDN
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Mr Bill »

For the last couple of years I've ended up getting drawn into the complaint threads that pop up after the festival, and I'm determined not to this year.

I just wanted to agree with PeterPan and Marlin that the Frightfest crowd on this forum are indeed a good friendly bunch of people, and I think everybody within that community really tries to be nice to one and all when we descend on Leicester Square for five days in August.

For me the saddest thing about reading the complaint threads is the fact that the people who did behave badly probably aren't part of the sound forum community reading and contributing to them, things might be very different if they were.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

IreneLouise wrote:
PeterPan wrote:
IreneLouise wrote:

I am not blaming the festival... I had a great time at Frightfest!

It was just the people that disappointed me.
The point is, some people annoyed you. If you had been sat by and met other people you probably wouldn't have this opinion. You could just have easily run into people who disappointed you in the other festivals you attended.

To state it's the people who disappointed you implies that you believe behaviour throughout FrightFest is universal which isn't true.
PeterPan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by PeterPan »

Mr Bill wrote:
For me the saddest thing about reading the complaint threads is the fact that the people who did behave badly probably aren't part of the sound forum community reading and contributing to them, things might be very different if they were.

Hell Bill I don't know if that's true. I know I've misbehaved at times. I imagine a lot of the people on this forum have. It's just these annual complaint threads are a real bug up my ass. Either deal with it at the time or brush it off, hell lifes too short.

I was told to 'shut up' for talking during 'Theatre Bizarre' and quite rightly so. I didn't realise I was bothering others. So I apologised and shut the hell up.

FrightFest is what you make it, Got a chip on your shoulder that the festival isn't welcoming to newbs? Take a look at yourself.

I have grown up being painfully shy, my stomach churns in social situations to this day. I travelled to FrightFest from Wales on my own 2 years ago and decided to throw myself in headfirst. By the end of the first day I'de met a group of people who I consider good friends to this day. By the end of the festival the number was much greater and I continue to meet new people each year.
Maybe put a little work in yourselves. Ian, Paul and Alan can't do it all.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

I have always found my companions at FrightFest to be lovely, friendly, helpful and chatty and hope that will always be the case in the future. I also try and say hello to people sat around me and to share opinions on films.

If people behave like dicks then they should just be thrown out full stop, no one has the right to spoil it for anyone else, I wouldn't be happy if someone sat next to me behaved that way.

That said generally its a great thing to be a part of and a highlight of my year.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com