films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
Mr Bill
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: films we just saw

Post by Mr Bill »

This is my lot for 2012 so far, seperated into four very basic and subjective categories, somebody please disagree with me.

The Good:
The Inbetweeners Movie
Apollo 18
Seconds Apart
Give ‘Em Hell Malone
Your Highness
Dead Heads
Colombiana
The Informers
The Brotherhood of the Bell
Killer Elite
Troll Hunter
Bad Teacher
Take Me Home Tonight
Cedar Rapids
Shark Night
30 Minutes or Less
Killing Bono
Drive
Donkey Punch
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Cash
The Debt
Duplicity
Role Models
The Brave One
Superbad
Arriverderci Millwall
Headspace

The Bad:
Lethal Justice
Arena
Act of Piracy
Aurora
Ghost Machine
Alien Agent
The Change Up
Hostel part III
Miami Vice
Abducted
Cowboys and Aliens
Stealth Fighter
An American Affair

The Peculiar:
Nice Dreams
Teenage Hooker became a Killing Machine
Billion Dollar Brain
Eagle vs. Shark

The Fucking Awesome:
Red State
The Guard
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Perfect Sense
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Mr Bill wrote:This is my lot for 2012 so far, seperated into four very basic and subjective categories, somebody please disagree with me.
I'll disagree - APOLLO 18 is absolutely atrocious. :) (Not disagreeing for the sake of it - I genuinely hated it as one of the worst of 2011.) But I'll agree that most of the titles on that list that I've seen are pretty much in the right places....
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

My third favourite film of Frightfest Glasgow (after The Raid, and Wang's Arrival) Evidence has sneaked onto DVD without publicity or much said about it, Id throughly recommend it to all who didn't attend the Glasgow event. Even if you are really fed up with POV horrors, it's an insane film, well worth £8 from HMV.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1, nothing happens in it's near 2 hour running time and I'm sure a lobotomy would be more enjoyable than this crap.

Cold Prey, a fun and some what creepy slasher let down by lack of plot and lack of overall tension.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Melvin Junko
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Melvin Junko »

soberdave72@hotmail.com wrote:My third favourite film of Frightfest Glasgow (after The Raid, and Wang's Arrival) Evidence has sneaked onto DVD without publicity or much said about it, Id throughly recommend it to all who didn't attend the Glasgow event. Even if you are really fed up with POV horrors, it's an insane film, well worth £8 from HMV.
Got pretty curious about this one, read some reviews and found it new on amazon for 5.99. Giving it a go
You can't do nothing right, Cooper! You stupid sonofabitch! You should have been destroyed at birth! That's what I get for teaming up with a hippie!
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Hunger Games - I find myself somewhat bemused at the great reviews this is getting. They've taken Battle Royale, added 60 minutes of dreary back story and taken out the interesting characters and ultra violence. Insipid. Plus the population of the capital city are permanently in fancy dress as the munchkins out of the Wizard of Oz.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

What do the call 'The Hunger Games' in France?

Battle Royale with Cheese.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

The Revenant is well worth a watch if you like comedy horror. If you can forgive it's somewhat cheap and cheesy first 30 minutes you will be richly rewarded. I think they blew all the budget in the last hour :P
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
DemonQ
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by DemonQ »

Blood Night. Starring Danielle Harris. It was ok. i think you can get it free at www.horrorlounge.com, at least it was on offer when I watched it.
SonicRatLord
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat
Location: Watching you from a sewer... or a drain... or just watching you

Post by SonicRatLord »

DemonQ wrote:Blood Night. Starring Danielle Harris. It was ok. i think you can get it free at http://www.horrorlounge.com, at least it was on offer when I watched it.
wow they have the very average 13 hours for £3.49 rental which I got for £3 in Sainsburys last Halloween.... as they give the game away at the start...
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Prometheus

This isn't disappointment I'm feeling - I watched 2 trailers and absorbed only 1 review (Kermode's - who relayed that this is about 2-3 films away from being an absolute Alien prequel), so I don't think I raised my own expectations (that is reserved for Dark Knight Rises).

Good point - It looks great, sets, CGI, etc all look great - but this makes it ultimately frustrating that if I were to advise people to watch it in the cinema just to really be immersed in the environments created, I'd feel guilty in knowing that there are always cheaper (and legal) ways to view this so less money is wasted.

The acting rubbed me the wrong way - even Fassbender, who clearly has the most to get his teeth into, left me feeling rather hollow.

The script, whilst it raises and ponders about larger questions than a straight forward horror/sci-fi film generally does, it is quite a mess.

And the last 10 minutes are irritatingly dreadful - unintentional comedy at its worst. Plus something at the end that felt tacked on and contrived enough to be there if only to give the Alien enthusiasts (like me) something to get wet over.

Pah.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Prometheus, visually stunning but the script is held together loosely by Fassbender and Rapace.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Total Recall remake - 7 / 10.

Solid enough, but very different to the original and certainly lacks the latter's personality.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
DemonChickxx
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by DemonChickxx »

We just watched The Devil's Rejects....must say I was impressed with the first one, House of 1000 corpses, but not so much with this one! A few good gory bits like the girl in husband's skin face mask getting hit by a truck and the aftermath was cool x
DemonChickxx
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by DemonChickxx »

mamawaldi wrote:Hunger Games - I find myself somewhat bemused at the great reviews this is getting. They've taken Battle Royale, added 60 minutes of dreary back story and taken out the interesting characters and ultra violence. Insipid. Plus the population of the capital city are permanently in fancy dress as the munchkins out of the Wizard of Oz.
I must say I wasn't impressed either I found it very boring and I think it's content is a little disturbing....maybe it's cos I have a little one, but kids killing kids is not nice x