Purchasing Tickets

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Ticketing problems

Post by iomega »

Firstly, let me apologise to anyone who had problems securing passes at the weekend. As bad as you feel it may have been, trust me, it's far better than the days of Odeon and at Prince Charles, where bless their cotton socks as hard as they tried, they only had one telephone line to book tickets on.

The booking system is run on our behalf by Empire. I don't think it is built to withstand the onslaught of hundreds of FrightFesters trying to buy tickets at the same time. Each year the length of the sleepy queue lenthens as more people plump for getting tickets personally, which reduces the amount available for online.

We really don't know what to do about this, because the more passes that we put on sale to meet the ever increasing demand, means actually less people attending the event. I suppose a bigger cinema would be the idea, but there aren't that many.

We are looking into what happened at the weekend and what can be done in the short term and for next year.

The FrightFest Team.
Marko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Ticketing problems

Post by Marko »

iomega wrote:Firstly, let me apologise to anyone who had problems securing passes at the weekend. As bad as you feel it may have been, trust me, it's far better than the days of Odeon and at Prince Charles, where bless their cotton socks as hard as they tried, they only had one telephone line to book tickets on.

The booking system is run on our behalf by Empire. I don't think it is built to withstand the onslaught of hundreds of FrightFesters trying to buy tickets at the same time. Each year the length of the sleepy queue lenthens as more people plump for getting tickets personally, which reduces the amount available for online.

We really don't know what to do about this, because the more passes that we put on sale to meet the ever increasing demand, means actually less people attending the event. I suppose a bigger cinema would be the idea, but there aren't that many.

We are looking into what happened at the weekend and what can be done in the short term and for next year.

The FrightFest Team.
As you are seeing a steady growth year on year have you considered doing what some music festivals do which is sell next years tickets at this years event? (normally at a fixed price - for example £160 to match this years price even though next year it may be £170).

While it certainly doesnt sort your problem out what it does do is give the hardcore Frightfesters the opportunity to buy now so they dont miss out the most anticipated event of the year. It may also give you the scope for actual demand before the event.

Havent really given much thought and am sure it has its own issues!
bpbpbp
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Ticketing problems

Post by bpbpbp »

iomega wrote:Firstly, let me apologise to anyone who had problems securing passes at the weekend. As bad as you feel it may have been, trust me, it's far better than the days of Odeon and at Prince Charles, where bless their cotton socks as hard as they tried, they only had one telephone line to book tickets on.

The FrightFest Team.
Thanks iomega. Really appreciate the Frightfest teams concern over this!

Onwards and upwards, eh?
I don't remember most of this myself. I only remember the Shogun's ninja hunting us wherever we go. And the bodies falling. And the blood.
Catweazle
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Purchasing Tickets

Post by Catweazle »

First FF I'll have missed in years. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
bpbpbp
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by bpbpbp »

Can't be tempted by a sneaky day pass, Catweazle?
I don't remember most of this myself. I only remember the Shogun's ninja hunting us wherever we go. And the bodies falling. And the blood.
stshaw
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by stshaw »

If the fright Fest team are still reading ... A goody bag for those of us who bought day passes for the full event would go some way to making up for having to pay almost 50% more than those who bought a full pass. What do you think?
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Its sounds like they very small, but vocal, minority on here who were unable to get tickets were on the whole in fact thwarted by their own banks, as apposed to anything that the FF boys had control over. Therefore maybe people should contact their banks and complain, rather than doing it on here.
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

bpbpbp wrote:I hope Frightfest do the right thing and find a few weekend passes for people who were a victim of this, and who make their case!
Sorry mate but I don't see why banks putting a hold on people cards means Frightfest should do 'the right thing'. Its not down to them if a bank stops the card going through.
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by EvilAsh »

Bearded Avenger wrote:Its sounds like they very small, but vocal, minority on here who were unable to get tickets were on the whole in fact thwarted by their own banks, as apposed to anything that the FF boys had control over. Therefore maybe people should contact their banks and complain, rather than doing it on here.
Totally agree - also we know what w**kers banks are right now, so maybe a call to them the day before to tell them how much your putting on the card wouldn't go a miss. I rang mine from the Sleepy Q and told them I had a large amont gong on and thye OK'ed it.
Its to do with the bank NOT the FF boys.
johnhorman
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by johnhorman »

I did the Sleepy Q again. Always found it more satisfying to queue up overnight for the extra time and pick the seat I needed then.
bpbpbp
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by bpbpbp »

EvilAsh wrote:
bpbpbp wrote:I hope Frightfest do the right thing and find a few weekend passes for people who were a victim of this, and who make their case!
Sorry mate but I don't see why banks putting a hold on people cards means Frightfest should do 'the right thing'. Its not down to them if a bank stops the card going through.
You know what EvilAsh, I think you are right. My phrasing was all wrong. The 'right thing' is an inappropriate phrase, and it is not fair to the lovely frightfest lads. It would be cool if the FF fellas could do something for these wretched few, mind, even though none of the above is their fault at all. I was thinking IF there were a few weekend passes left (as there has been in the past), or if there was some way to make them available, then it would be nice if they could go to the unlucky lot who couldn't get them because of bank nobs. Seems as if there will not be, though.

Call me a dreamer, EvilAsh, call me crazy- but I know how I would feel if it turned out I couldn't go.

In that spirit then, if any of the people who were banjanxed by their banks see me at the bar during the festival and make themselves known, I, bpbpbp, will buy them a drink.

Lets turn this negative into a postive!

(ps, I had no idea about ringing the bank beforehand. I have never had to do that for a purchase before, in my entire puff. I will know in future though, so thanks)
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Could more weekend passes be made available next year though?

Maybe we should have the choice of the whole cinema rather than specific blocks too. The weekend passes go on sale one weekend with the day passes the following week based on what remains?

I am in the fortunate position of getting to and from London for free but I do feel for those that didn't get a pass as FF people are very passionate about the festival.

In respect to banks when I last went away I told Santander of our plans, our dates and countries visited and guess what, they still put a stop to our cards in Thailand. Banks in general are just useless.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I was thinking about suggesting that people should contact their banks prior to them putting on, much like you are urged to do before going abroad.

Then I thought what a stupid thing it would be to tell your bank you are going to spend a far amount of cash in your country of residence. I mean, do you tell them this when you have to pay your winter fuel bills (assuming you aren't paying Direct Debit).

Its worth wondering if the block would have happened if the card had been used in person as opposed to over the internet.

Its also worth wondering if one large payment looks more or less suspicious than than 5 smaller payments that add up to double the one large amount.

I suppose when it comes down to card fraud banks can indeed be damned if they do or don't.

It is just a shame to say it is down to personal bad luck, which is no small comfort.

You never know, there may be more riots this year and more warehouses burnt down resulting in even less goody bags this year.
SilverGunnar Hansen
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by SilverGunnar Hansen »

I think my personal problem is with the Empire site - it doesn't seem to 'lock' seats when you're booking, it's just a lottery grab-bag. It shows seats as if you've got them locked then by the time you get to pay they're gone, then it's back to square one. This happened to me until all the seats were gone, and the most frustrating thing was seeing when there were still quite alot available and the screen taking you forward to payment then bouncing you back again. Fingers crossed more get released!
Wiltaim
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Wiltaim »

To be fair the Empire site , their site simply isn't design the volume of orders ( all at once) that is generate by FF ...I'm sure is the only time they anything like that hitting the site.
Maybe they should have register / login system , allowing you to set up an account with cards etc, this would at least make booking process quicker .
The 'choosing & losing' didn't seem to an issue this time (for me anyway) like previous years.

I think selling the passes in batches could work, I guest that most weekend pass buyers would even purchase before knowing what was being shown ?

To honest I would consider the sleepy queue if I didn't live abroad ....meaning I can only afford one London per year lol
Twitter: @Rowdoc
Letterboxd: Rowdoc
Entropia Universe : Rowdoc Rowdoc Donner