Fright Fest 2012 Rumour Mill

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
anoy yin barsted
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Fright Fest 2012 Rumour Mill

Post by anoy yin barsted »

One of the fascinating things about a festival of this size, with rabidly enthusiastic fans and sometimes dotty guests, is the amount of hearsay and rumour that is carried along through the buzz of the weekend.

So, a week on, just for fun, I thought it would be a real blast to share whatever scraps of gossip we picked up along the way. Of course, this comes with the caveat that whatever is shared could have a grain a truth at its core, but could also be a load of old bananas.

And, also, please, nothing spiteful or disrespectful….

My top rumours:

• The crew of Tulpa were told not to/ refused to come back for a Q&A

• One frighfester, following Sinister, was so spooked and uncomfortable about returning to his hotel room alone, that he wandered up the Tottenham Court road and got himself a brass for the evening, for company (!!!!!!!!!!!)

• The real reason Adam Green was not about this year was because he demanded a wodge of cash to show up, earning him the nickname Adam ‘Greed’ behind the scenes.

• Alan Jones changed his clothes one morning because he was sick down his t.shirt.

Any others?
Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!
bpbpbp
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Fright Fest 2012 Rumour Mill

Post by bpbpbp »

Um, I heard that Tom Six was about watching a few films?
I don't remember most of this myself. I only remember the Shogun's ninja hunting us wherever we go. And the bodies falling. And the blood.
GeorgeCaplin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by GeorgeCaplin »

This Tulpa rumour....

I'm pretty sure at the end of the film they all came on stage, no questions being asked to them, but the director came on and introduced each of the actors including his wife!!!

or was I just drunk?!
bump3r1
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by bump3r1 »

Don't believe the one about Adam Green, he's flat out filming series 2 of Holliston - follow him on twitter and you will know this.
You think darkness is your ally but you have merely adopted the dark, i was born in it!!

Welcome to prime time, bitch!!

Craig Beecham - Facebook.
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

I heard that either the BBFC or local authority had asked that Maniac be pulled from the festival, and then subsequently heard that when it is finally officially released it will have 4 minutes cut from it.

I have not been able to find any sources for either of these points.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

The director of Tulpa definitely came back on stage, I remember because before the film, with the cast, he was wearing black gloves and on stage after he was sans gloves - maybe he'd killed someone after hearing the reaction? There was no Q&A.

I'd heard that Kim Newman was saying not nice things about this year's festival line-up.

Who knows - maybe we should just start rumours about ourselves and give them 51 weeks to fester till the FF2013.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

bpbpbp wrote:Um, I heard that Tom Six was about watching a few films?
He was, we caught a video interview with him that'll be in our Frightfest special. :)

One rumour I heard before Maniac was that Elijah Wood was going to turn up. Same as last year when there were rumblings that David Tenant would turn up for Fright Night because he was on stage in the West End. All came to nowt though.
TheDukeAbides wrote:I'd heard that Kim Newman was saying not nice things about this year's festival line-up.
I think he was very critical of Hidden in the Woods, which he's got every right to be, but I don't think he was particularly outspoken about the line-up in general. I think that may have been another critic.
ArghZombies wrote:I heard that either the BBFC or local authority had asked that Maniac be pulled from the festival, and then subsequently heard that when it is finally officially released it will have 4 minutes cut from it.

I have not been able to find any sources for either of these points.
Honestly, I can't see what they would cut out of Maniac to reach four minutes. I think if you made a montage of every gore scene in the film it wouldn't make 4 minutes long. We've already seen graphic scalpings in Inglourious Basterds so I'd be surprised if the BBFC has any issue with the ones in Maniac. Also, I *think* a film can be shown without BBFC certification with the agreement of the local authority, but if it has a BBFC certificate then the LA couldn't prevent the screening happening.

No report on the BBFC website, so it may not have been classified yet. Metrodome will release it in the UK.
GeorgeCaplin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by GeorgeCaplin »

I heard a rumour that The Twins who directed American Mary once went to Ireland, both used the same toilet, which turned out to have been enchanted by an evil wizard. Once they flushed the waste evolved to create the monstrosity that is 'Jedward'.

Which gives the fable and common knowledge that why Jedward are shite!!!!
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

On the Maniac front, I got told that the BBFC were making cuts, but it's not true. The film hasn't been seen by the BBFC yet. I'm still not convinced it will make it through unscathed, but I very much doubt cuts would reach 4 minutes. There have been first reaction reviews I've seen that have said there are rape scenes in the film. There's plenty horrid stuff, but there is no rape.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

MaxRenn wrote:On the Maniac front, I got told that the BBFC were making cuts, but it's not true. The film hasn't been seen by the BBFC yet. I'm still not convinced it will make it through unscathed, but I very much doubt cuts would reach 4 minutes. There have been first reaction reviews I've seen that have said there are rape scenes in the film. There's plenty horrid stuff, but there is no rape.
Yeah, I commented on a review of Maniac by a movie review site that was basically saying that due to the sexual violence, rape and degradation they'd welcome the inevitable censorship of the film and that they felt the film was genuinely harmful. It was like reading a review by the Daily Mail. I don't recall anything even verging on sexual violence or rape in that film. I've not been so angry reading a review since the bad old BBFC days.

I notice that the review of the film on Blogomatic http://www.blogomatic3000.com/2012/08/2 ... ew-maniac/ also mentions the 4 minute rumour of cuts. I've no idea where that rumour came from myself, although POV horror does still recieve cuts these days (I Spit On Your Grave remake had several cuts to remove some of the rape scenes as seen through the camcorder viewscreen for example).
Twitter: @ArghZombies
Marko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marko »

i heard a rumour that some of last years freebie t shirts (girl with the dragon tattoo) were also given out this year with no new t shirts and that by putting all the freebies around the cinema was a terrible idea.

Although i did take some pleasure in one particular frightfest regular who was running around clutching posters with sheer terror on his face that he may not get a slice of everything, running up and down the aisles like a loon. He even wiped out some poor girl looking for dvds.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Just goes to show the bull-sh*t that gets bandied about...
The only "rape" scene was by the red-head on Frank!!

Joking aside, it annoys me how the some people form expectations and opinions, of films before they even see them..
I bet the Daily Mail reviewer is cracking his knuckles in anticipation of starting another unwarranted witch-hunt already...
If anybody deserved a scalping ...
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Marko wrote:i heard a rumour that some of last years freebie t shirts (girl with the dragon tattoo) were also given out this year with no new t shirts and that by putting all the freebies around the cinema was a terrible idea.

Although i did take some pleasure in one particular frightfest regular who was running around clutching posters with sheer terror on his face that he may not get a slice of everything, running up and down the aisles like a loon. He even wiped out some poor girl looking for dvds.
Yeah, I agree Marko.
Paul was regularly repeating that there were "torches and other goodies" littered about, but I never saw anything other than posters, despite the fact that I circled the room ASAP. I did get a copy of "The New Barbarians" from Ian earlier though, so it evened out ... :)

It didn't really work, but then what are you going to do? The previous scrums were ridiculous and only olympic-level athletes got anything decent at those, trampling over the less-alpha members of the pack!

BTW, I've totally given up on even trying to get free t-shirts now, as there are never any XL sizes, and I'd rather not go out with a "dragon-tattoo" crop-top!! :roll:
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

GeorgeCaplin wrote:I heard a rumour that The Twins who directed American Mary once went to Ireland, both used the same toilet, which turned out to have been enchanted by an evil wizard. Once they flushed the waste evolved to create the monstrosity that is 'Jedward'.

Which gives the fable and common knowledge that why Jedward are shite!!!!

Hahahahahaha. Oh my, brilliant :-)
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
anoy yin barsted
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anoy yin barsted »

GeorgeCaplin wrote:This Tulpa rumour....

I'm pretty sure at the end of the film they all came on stage, no questions being asked to them, but the director came on and introduced each of the actors including his wife!!!

or was I just drunk?!
Hey GeorgeCaplin!

You were not drunk my good old matey- they were definitely back, beautiful bunch of people they were too, but I meant that the fellas and ladies from Tulpa were denied/refused a Q&A.

Didn't realise that the freebies were dotted about the cinema- how bizarre! Can't be bothered with the freebies anyway. If it is being given away, there is usually a reason...

(although the novel I had in my bag, The Last Werewolf, is an amazing book)
Fred Krueger! He's inside me, and he wants to take me again!