Films for Frightfest August 2013

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Films for Frightfest August 2013

Post by Reanimator »

What suggestions or guesses do people have for films at this years main Frightfest event. To start the ball rolling, here is my starter for 10:

- You're Next: strong word of mouth for this delayed film - could it be a contender for opening film?
- Insidious 2: could be a candidate
- Human Centipede 3: will it be ready in time?
- The Sacrament: Ti West's new film so likely to be considered!

What does everyone else think?
Atari
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Films for Frightfest August 2013

Post by Atari »

Not sure about release dates but how about;
The green inferno
Rec 4
Svhs
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Reanimator wrote:Human Centipede 3: will it be ready in time?
Seeing as Tom Six is now on the judging panel for the short films competition, this is a strong contender. If not the finished movie I think we'll definitely see some rough footage at the least.
Atari wrote: Svhs
Or VHS 2 as it's now known. :( Another good contender, as it's been shown already in other places. The only issue will be if it actually gets distribution/release some time this year, it won't be new enough for FF
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

You're Next is apparently out on 23/08 so that won't be on.

The other films all appesr to be out after the August bank holiday or have no planned release date.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

Keep guessing boys and girls. I like reading these posts and the speculation on what will be in or out.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

On the one hand, speculation can be fun. But I also like to be surprised, as I don't want the temptation of looking them all up on the IMDb first!
Last edited by streetrw on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Critter Egg
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Critter Egg »

What about the carrie remake. That's not out until October.
"What's that you've got on your feet there?""Good Guy PJ Sneakers!"
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Like with streetrw, i like to be surprised as much as checking out the odd one or two that slightly peak my interest. But.... one film i would LOVE to see at frightfest and by the grace of god i hope they get the FULL version is KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM. Joe Lynch's labour of love must be seen in it's full entirety, and frightfest is the only true place it could be truly appreciated. I know it was made awhile ago but it's been through development hell. The trailer alone is worth a thousand words. anything else would just be a bonus.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Yeah would be nice to finally see KOB.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Rue-morgue Jay wrote:one film i would LOVE to see at frightfest and by the grace of god i hope they get the FULL version is KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM. Joe Lynch's labour of love must be seen in it's full entirety,
Is there a cut-down version then?
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Rue-morgue Jay wrote:one film i would LOVE to see at frightfest and by the grace of god i hope they get the FULL version is KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM. Joe Lynch's labour of love must be seen in it's full entirety,
Is there a cut-down version then?
Apparently one of the executives has taken it away and drastically re-edited it:

http://io9.com/5988694/has-peter-dinkla ... -butchered

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/04/ ... g-offered/

On a general note, we'll probably get a better idea of what to speculate about from the Cannes Festival reports.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Axelle Carolyn's first full feature 'Soulmate' could be on the list!
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Keep your eyes and ears open for early clues. Last year the distributor for Stitches mentioned its premiere at FF, well in advance of the official line-up announcement. It was also mentioned on one of the big film industry websites (Screen Daily, I think).
Critter Egg
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Critter Egg »

What about Open windows the new movie by Nacho Vigalondo the director of Time crimes a previous frightfest favorite. It stars Elijah Wood and sounds pretty good. currently in post production, could be a possibility if it's ready in time. Marcus Nispel the director of The Texas chainsaw and Friday 13th remakes has got a new one on the way called Backmask also could be a possibility.
"What's that you've got on your feet there?""Good Guy PJ Sneakers!"
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

My film predictions for FrightFest 2013..

Post by bounce08 »

I've been attending FrightFest for a while, to me, it's the highlight of the London film festivals - I really feel the organisers understand their audience and have the right mix of sub genres across the board.

Having said that, a lot of the "big" releases that would suit the festival are happening prior to the festival this year, which leaves me wondering what the big centerpiece films are going to be for them to premiere.

I would say the most likely films that will be shown at some point will be...

Very Likely
--------------

V/H/S 2 - Already released selectively over in the states, been going really strong in the US festivals and is without a UK release. I'm pretty sure we're going to see this in August at the festival.

Insidious: Chapter 2 - Possible UK premiere? It's pencilled in for a few weeks after the festival for the UK release date and would certainly raise the profile of FrightFest even higher if they can secure it. Possibly too mainstream a film for the festival however.

Possibly
---------

The Human Centipede 3 - Possible World/UK premiere? The previous two have screened at FrightFest in the past, and Tom Six is a judge for the shorts competition. The real doubt is whether it will be finished in time. As far as I know it hasn't even begun shooting yet, although the script is done. Still a few months to go and even a rough cut would be great. I know Tom loves FrightFest!

Exists - UK premiere? Has finished production, 'Bigfoot' horror from the original Blair Witch project director. No UK release date, not a massive budget and could feature at some point?

Mr. Jones - UK premiere? Recently just starting to hit the festivals in the USA. No UK release date, about a couple that take a holiday in some remote woods and encounter a scary individual.

The Machine - UK premiere? Possibly too sci-fi influenced for FrightFest but is set in Britain and features Toby Stephens. Recently hit the festivals in the US.

The Underneath - World/UK premiere? No UK release date yet. Very similar plot to FrightFest favourites 'The Descent' and it's sequel.

Unlikely
---------

Carrie - The UK release is set for a few months later, and doesn't really following the pattern of previous centerpiece films for the festival. I'd be very suprised if we saw this at FrightFest. It's a big budget horror and I think the distributors would want a more mainstream UK premiere with it's own event rather than part of a festival.