Films for Frightfest August 2013

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: Films for Frightfest August 2013

Post by DJBenz »

The FF team is heading to Cannes shortly to scope out some films too. The 'Postcards from Cannes' feature should be restarting on the main website soon.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

New Larry Fessenden:

scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

50 days to go now till the lineup drops & - those brave/stupid enough start the trek to Leicester Square for the sleeper queue. More & more genre titles are popping up out of the woodwork and - this year having most of the big releases open far in advance of August [wasn't that Glasgow lineup star-studded!?] I think this years main event is going to a much more under-the-radar surprise affair. Which to me, is pretty awesome.

That being said here are some of my contenders lineup wise:

Hatchet III I would think this one is almost a dead cert, possibly for opening night film (what with Hatchet 2 in 2010 and Adam's love of the fest) that was all until it got lamped with a June 14th US theatrical. So this one is growingly unlikely. Maybe the sleeper queue surprise film?

The Sacrament The latest from Ti West has eschewed all of the usual genre fests so far this year [Innkeepers & House of the Devil both played SXSW before their respective FrightFests], but - as far as I've been told- wrapped post-production. Plot details & pretty much every detail outside of cast has been kept top hush hush, but I think I speak for everyone when I see this would be amazing to see. Probably a contender for one of the big 6pm / 9pm headline slots. Keep in mind Ti always says FF is his favourite festival.

V/H/S/2 I don't need to say anything about this, if it *does* play, it will tear the place apart. Also: Gareth Evans as a guest, bringing with him some footage from THE RAID 2 anyone?

Haunter Latest from SPLICE director Vincenzo Natali, played SXSW 2013.

You're Next Long delayed, even longer salivated over. Hype on this is near delirious. Very likely as a headline film. Also, having this & VHS2 play, we're likely to see it's directors Adam Wingard & Simon Barrett as guests.

The Green Inferno We know its finished shooting. We know its on its way to being finished in post. We know Eli *loves* this festival. Will it play? In my books this is most likely opener or closer.

The Quiet Ones Latest from Hammer horror revival. Looks tidy

The Conspiracy Again the reviews for this under-the-radar cult chiller point it to be the next Kill List. Documentary turned- nope, I'm not gonna give that away... One of my most anticipated of the year.

MAGIC MAGIC Another creepy cult, psychologically unhinged character study. BIG actors attached too: Michael Cera, Juno Temple, Emily Browning. Reviews put this alongside Polanski's REVULSION & cult favourite LETS SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH. Colour me interested

No One Lives One of Alan's favourites from last year. Played Sitges to a lot of controversy.

Proxy A new in development/in production/in post (no one knows) extreme-french-cinema inspired movie from Zack Parker, the director of the brilliant Scalene & a friend of Alans.

We Are What We Are [Remake] Jim Mickle loves the festival, and we had the original UK premiere back in 2010. Likely

In Fear Played Sundance, looks pretty tidy, spoke to Ian about this too.

Frankensteins Army Played Tribeca. Looks a hoot.

Fresh Meat See above

RAZE See above. An almost The Raid contender movie

Mr Jones See above

Holy Ghost People Latest from the guys that gave us The Hamiltons & The Thompsons last year. Nice reviews coming from it's SXSW premiere.

What about those Midnight Movies? Those fun ass flicks of craziness...
BIG ASS SPIDER Played SXSW, has already had its UK premiere at Dead By Dawn, but wouldnt be surprised if they shrugged of this privilege in favor of a pure rollick movie

Milo Another SXSWer, a horror satire about an ass demon. Yep an ass demon. I can smell the beer stained Empire 1 floor already.

Beneath latest from festival favourite Larry Fessenden that sherbertbizarre posted the trailer to above [thanks for that]. Sadly screening word of mouth on this one says it's beyond abysmal. Like THE ROOM level bad. Maybe fun for Midnight too (for all the wrong reasons).

Cabin Fever: Patient Zero Screenings are just firing up on this one over in LA, and FrightFest would be the first genre fest on the circuit it could hit. Kaare Andrews has had other flicks played at FF too.

Anddddd my most anticipated movie on slate at the moment:

Theatre Bizarre 2: Grand Guignol Pascal Laugier, Xavier Gens, Alexandre Bustillo & Julien Maury, Olivier Abbou. They've all had their films premiere at FrightFest, this one could be an epic epic main event movie & Q&A.

I would highly expect to see Hellfjord on the rediscovery screen too.

Bear in mind the boys are off to Cannes next week, which last year got us some of our collective favourites: AMERICAN MARY, SAWNEY & MANIAC. So I'm sure there much more bubbling under the surface there.

So there we go, I think I'm out. Hope this piqued some interesting titles to you guys.

@scoutthehorizon
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

One more selfish one I'd love to see since the director is a great friend of mine thanks to the festival is Emily Hagin's latest Grow Up, Tony Phillips . It's not horror (but neither was The American Scream) but it has it's feet firmly in the genre and I think would play lovely to a niche crowd. Discovery Screen for sure. Oh, Ian... *does a pouty pleading face* Bring Em' back over.

@scoutthehorizon

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

V/H/S 2 is now slated for June 6th VOD release and July 12th Theatrical in the US so it might be a bit 'old hat' by the time FF comes around.

Love the rest of your list though, some good suggestions (except Theatre Bizarre 2: Grand Guignol, the first one was a walk-out for me).
LaidToRest
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by LaidToRest »

http://www.launchingfilms.com/release-s ... +one+lives

NO ONE LIVES opens May 31st so that's out.It's a pity to see it on screen one at the empire would have been great.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

I was worried about the same thing re V/H/S/2's US release. But I have 2 inklings of hope we get to see in in a FrightFest crowd:
1) It's actually used as the sleeper queue movie. Paul said they've got an amazing treat for us on the 29th June. This would fit!
2) Back in 2011, Trollhunter was already released in the US over the time it showed in August. Remember it still won't be available in the UK and has no festival screenings lined up yet either. Plus it's a BIG title, maybe this years genre biggest; so exceptions may be made.

As for Theatre Bizarre 2, yes the 1st was a little underwhelming (okay, fine it really stunk bad). But the director lineup for the sequel looks impossible to fail, it's a sheer celebration of Extreme French cinema. I can't contemplate anything better.

Thanks for giving my list a look at, guys :)

Pleasure to forum meet you!

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

scoutthehorizon wrote:I was worried about the same thing re V/H/S/2's US release. But I have 2 inklings of hope we get to see in in a FrightFest crowd:
1) It's actually used as the sleeper queue movie. Paul said they've got an amazing treat for us on the 29th June. This would fit!
2) Back in 2011, Trollhunter was already released in the US over the time it showed in August. Remember it still won't be available in the UK and has no festival screenings lined up yet either. Plus it's a BIG title, maybe this years genre biggest; so exceptions may be made.
I really hope it isn't 1 (only because I won't be sleepy queuing it, and therefore won't see it), and that it makes the line-up. Only time will tell, really looking forward to the line-up announcement.
As for Theatre Bizarre 2, yes the 1st was a little underwhelming (okay, fine it really stunk bad). But the director lineup for the sequel looks impossible to fail, it's a sheer celebration of Extreme French cinema. I can't contemplate anything better.
To be fair, the director line-up for the first wasn't too shabby, and we know how that turned out. :lol:
Pleasure to forum meet you!
And you. Are you Mitch who does the Frightfest videos by any chance? (I think I recognise the handle from Twitter) If so you made a very nice comment on our (HorrorTalk's) YouTube video of last year's festival, so thanks for that. :mrgreen:
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Part of me doesn't want to know. The build up of excitement only to be let down by something truly dire is something I don't enjoy. Go in not knowing!
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

Certainly lasy year, and probably prior to that, there were some 'London' premiers, with certain films already having been shown in Glasgow/at other festivals or as previews. IIRC Trollhunter was one of those that had been show a few weeks previously at another London cinema (I'm sure at least one film was).

Got a couple of new films by previous directors:

The Strange Colours of Your Body's Tears (did I get that wrong, it looks wrong!) - The follow up to Amer, which Alan for some reason really loves so would presume he'd champion this.

Big Bad Wolf - from the guys that did Rabies. Supposed to be very good. Felt the former was unlucky to be on the discovery screen considering some of the dross that was on the main screan.

Talking about dross...

Outpost 3 - will it get on due to being British... or by virtue of being ditrobuted by the same company as a film the guys really want to show?

I did spot a few more films, but did not take note. There are certain distros that seem to want their films on at Frightfest, so there were one or two horror films that may well get shown.
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

watch out for short film 'morgue street' - that is all.
the house shot her !!!
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

No more bloody giallo films! Surely a cure for insomnia :lol:
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Kris wrote:No more bloody giallo films! Surely a cure for insomnia :lol:
+1
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

A retro Giallo screening would be nice, so many good ones that need to seen on the big screen.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey