Films for Frightfest August 2013

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Films for Frightfest August 2013

Post by sherbetbizarre »

They usually go for a Brit film as the opener, over a Hollywood production.
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

I just saw 'The Curse of Chucky' has a general release date of 24th September.... I'm that bothered about seeing it, but timing looks about right for a possible premier at Frightfest.

I didn't think much of The Dead either, but then, the sequel might be better. The trailer looks good.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Big Bad Wolves looks good, and I liked The Dead in 2010, so I'm looking forward to the sequel....rather odd choice for an opening film though, the sequel to a little known indie horror film, hardly a big film to kick the festival off....but hey, at least Hatchet 3 isn't the opener!
bump3r1
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by bump3r1 »

I wasn't convinced by the opening/closing movies at first bt after watching the trailer for the dead 2 & reading abit more about big bad wolves I'm looking forward to both, I'm guessing they will have a job lot of people there involved with each movie so maybe that's part of the decision, I remember when are you afraid of the dark opened it in 2011 and although it was a 'big' movie, it didn't suit the opening slot as it just felt like a trip to the cinema rather than a premier at a film festival.

I hadn't really thought about curse of chucky but to me that would be awesome, especially if they can get Brad Dourif & his daughter there. Most horror fans these days are only satisfied with the latest Asian horror or European extreme movies bt there are still us 80s horror fans who like to see some sort of recognition to the old school horror icons.

When hatchet 2 opened the festival the vibe was immense imo, seeing the likes Tony Todd & Kane Hodder walking around the empire is what it's all about for me.

Hoping one-day that Wes Craven will be the horror icon guest also :)
You think darkness is your ally but you have merely adopted the dark, i was born in it!!

Welcome to prime time, bitch!!

Craig Beecham - Facebook.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

So, for my money at least The Dead II & Big Bad Wolves are some great bookend films. And ones they can really spin an event around (much like last year's & not like the year before's).

The footage that's out there for THE DEAD II looks really promising, with maybe even a potential for making zombies scary again (Fulci is still rolling in his grave from Warm Bodies). If you havent caught the [very spoiler filled] trailer [no seriously, it's like a short film] then it is up further in the thread.

As for Big Bad Wolves, hype on this one is near delirious. It's being hailed as people's best of 2013 already. Going off that & how damn great Kavelet (Rabies) was a couple of years ago, i think this is a dead cert winner. Very brave of the FrightFest guys to close with a subtitled Israeli revenge thriller too. Respectful to us as an audience.
Expect to see a trailer dropping for this one at the end of this week.

What's even more interesting than the opener/closer films themselves, is what they potentially say about the rest of the lineup. Look at 2011: opening with a big(ish) Hollywood remake & closing with a thriller almost devoid of genre elements, these were the hallmarks of what was a fairly commercial lineup. 2012: opened & closed with very British affairs, ushering a lineup that paid tribute very much to home-grown horror.

So what does this years say? Well for one thing, like Paul tweeted: diversity. But also seeing as the Ford bro's & Aharon and Navot have had films played at FrightFest before, and a lot of similar FrightFest favourites have new films on the festival circuit, I'm anticipating a big FrightFest alumni reunion.

But I guess time will tell, roll on the 28th.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Well, Aharon Keshales (co-director) is having a field day on Twitter with the news that "Big Bad Wolves" is one of the main films at Frightfest, and is responding to a lot of personal tweets (mine included) on the subject.
Bearing in mind that this film made such a splash at the Tribeca Film Festival, it's great to see the guys get so excited and genuinely humbled by our "little get-together". :D

On another subject, I know that some people would rather not have sequels like "Insidious Chapter 2" & "Hatchet 3" at the fest, but on a personal basis I would rather see those than "The strange colour of your body's tears" (I REALLY did not get on with "Amer"!) or another promising Giallo that turns out to be a disappointment (*cough*Tulpa*cough*). Just a personal opinion...
After all, don't forget how pleasantly surprised many people were with "Final Destination 5" a couple of years ago. :green:
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

At last some class films that treat the frightfest crowd like adults - well done
the house shot her !!!
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Koch Media purchased this at Cannes this year, also V/H/S/2...
Wulfster wrote:On another subject, I know that some people would rather not have sequels like "Insidious Chapter 2" & "Hatchet 3" at the fest, but on a personal basis I would rather see those than "The strange colour of your body's tears" (I REALLY did not get on with "Amer"!) or another promising Giallo that turns out to be a disappointment (*cough*Tulpa*cough*). Just a personal opinion...
Abso-bloody-lutely. :D Nothing wrong with a few crowd-pleasers.

I'm actually not so enthused about the opening/closing films; The trailer for The Dead 2 just isn't grabbing me (although I'll be gladly proved wrong) and I usually miss the closing film due to having to get the train back, so I most likely won't see BBW. :(
bump3r1
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by bump3r1 »

What about Riddick? Noticed that has a release date of 06 Sept 13 so that would be a good change of pace, a lot of horrors these days are slow burns so a good comic alien actioner would be a great tonic :)
You think darkness is your ally but you have merely adopted the dark, i was born in it!!

Welcome to prime time, bitch!!

Craig Beecham - Facebook.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

sherbetbizarre wrote:This one should be about ready...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2250026/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_2
:lol:

Pretty sure it's not out of post-production yet. You never know though...
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

must say, i was a little apprehensive about opening movie until yesterday, when i watched the dead for the first time. thought it was great (perhaps a little overlong but you cant have everything, eh?) and quite looking forward to second one now. that trailer is spoilerific though innit, and i do hope the same proportion of slow-mo cinemataography isnt in the film :|
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

Actually like the look of Cheap Thrills... it's clearly nothing original, but I think it might be fun to watch. I hope they have it.
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

I'd like Horns to make the bill. The book is excellent. I think it has an October release date so maybe Frightfest is a bit early.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

First trailer for Big Bad Wolves has surfaced online:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/20/ ... ad-wolves/