Films for Frightfest August 2013

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Films for Frightfest August 2013

Post by zappa fan »

With only one week and one day to go till the BIG announcement. What films do people think with be playing at this years FrightFest? Or what a people wishing will play?
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

100%

The Dead 2
Big Bad Wolves

I think the following are 99% certain:

Cheap Thrills
V/H/S/2
You're Next

80%

Hatchet III
Insidious Chapter 2

Outside of that it's difficult to pin down what might be showing in between. There's probably stuff that was picked up at Cannes that hasn't got distribution anywhere yet, so completely under the radar for most of us. Really looking forward to the announcement though.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Hope YOU'RE NEXT is showing been looking forward to that one for sooooo long.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

zappa fan wrote:Hope YOU'RE NEXT is showing been looking forward to that one for sooooo long.
One of our writers saw a press screening a while ago, and I know there's another very soon. No embargo past 1st July so there could be quite a lot of reviews popping up in advance of the festival. :(
sdaveak47
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by sdaveak47 »

DJBenz wrote:100%

The Dead 2
Big Bad Wolves

I think the following are 99% certain:

Cheap Thrills
V/H/S/2
You're Next

80%

Hatchet III
Insidious Chapter 2

Outside of that it's difficult to pin down what might be showing in between. There's probably stuff that was picked up at Cannes that hasn't got distribution anywhere yet, so completely under the radar for most of us. Really looking forward to the announcement though.
I think all of those will play - Frankenstein's Army & No One Lives are pretty nailed on too.

I can't think what Saturday nights main film will be tho' - I hope it's none of the above, I'll be a little let down if its V/H/S/2
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

I will be v. happy with Cheap Thrills, VHS2, You're Next, Frankenstein's Army and No One Lives. :D I reckon, if its ready, The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears will screen too.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Would love to see a sequel to Insidious - Creepy and well paced, which is just up my street.

Human Centipede was good fun, but the second one was a bit ropey, so a third Im not too bothered about, but the Director seems like a really nice guy and I hope that peeps who go see it do enjoy it and give him some positive feed back on his work.

I missed FFest 2012 and only saw Maniac online. I really enjoyed it so anything in that vain would be cool.

REC 1 and 2 are well loved horrors for me but 3....nah. A 4th I would be a little skeptical about, but if they could make it as good as the first two, then I would love to see it.

The Dead was pretty good so Im looking forward to The Dead 2 set in India as the opener for FFest 2013.

More classic black and whites please. I was asking for these in the forum a few years go and last year there were some great films included like Bride of Frankenstein, but I wasn't in attendance : ( (bloody exams) and I will be over the moon if they do the same this year. LOVE THEM!

Im getting withdrawal for some epic Sci-Fi Horror like The Thing or Alien. Prometheus was pants, The Thing remake was a joke. Someone out there, please make something awesome in this genre in time for a FFest showing - I beg.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, and it's borderline as to whether it's horror, but I really want All is Lost to play. It got a great reception at Cannes, and if Open Water 2 could play Frightfest, then this should certainly be in the running. It also fits with the idea of variety.
I'd also like to see Fateful Findings, which is apparently another The Room/Birdemic level movie and which was screened at Butt-Numb-A-Thon last year to much hilarity.
Other films I really want that have already been mentioned are:
V/H/S/2, You're Next, Insidious 2, Carrie remake (All almost certain to play. I'm a bit wary of another remake, but Kimberly Peirce's Boys Don't Cry was very good which gives me hope.)
The Sacrament, Horns, The Strange Colour of your Body's Tears, The Green Inferno, Hatchet III (All highly likely based on previous Frightfest selections and the directors having had their previous films screened.)
Heli, The Last Days on Mars, We are What We Are, Only Lovers Left Alive (All positively received at Cannes)
Territorial (I liked Wolf Creek and disliked Rogue, so I'm hoping this will be more up to the standard of the former)
Knights of Badassdom (Director's Cut) (Complex legal wranglings seem to make this unlikely, but I'm sure Joe Lynch would love to have this screen if it could)
R.I.P.D. (all the signs are that this Men in Black ripoff will be terrible, but it would be good to have one massively overbudgeted blockbuster. It's very unlikely though)
And for the late night screenings: Frankenstein's Army, 100 Bloody Acres, Chastity Bites, Curse of Chucky (all have some reasonably positive buzz except for CoC which hasn't screened yet, but from which we know exactly what to expect)
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

I reckon we will get The GriefTourist and perhaps the We Are What We Are remake. Also, the Bigfoot doc that is mentioned in the postcards could well be screened in one of the ususl early morning documentary slots...
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

48 hours to go.... till we all know whats playing
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Wonder if we will get any 3D Horror movies this year!!!!
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Just had this tweet from @Film4Frightfest;
Well there's a few right guesses in the forum, but there's also a lot of titles well off anyones radar. Not long now.
The teasing minxes!! :twisted:
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Wulfster wrote:Just had this tweet from @Film4Frightfest
Just added you to our follow list on Twitter. :D It'll be good to see more Frightfest chat on the timeline come festival weekend.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

DJBenz wrote:
Wulfster wrote:Just had this tweet from @Film4Frightfest
Just added you to our follow list on Twitter. :D It'll be good to see more Frightfest chat on the timeline come festival weekend.
Absolutely! :p
Thanks for the follow.

Covered the fest for our web-site last year, and doing the same this year, but this will be my first with twitter comments.

As a Frightfest veteran (of 12 years) just to state that I enjoy the human interaction (ooh-err!) just as much as the social media, and the "bloody phone" will be off during films. :green:
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Oooh Rec 4 would be bloody ace

Do I mind whats on - not really. But I hope overall this year beats last year but as I was discussing with a friend yesterday horror seems to be in a lull right now and it needs something to come along and shake it up again. The next SAW or SCREAM or HOSTEL? Where is it coming from as it all seems remakes and half arsed movies which have the odd scare is what seems t o make up most modern horror output.

It has to go through this to get good again but i'm wondering at what point will this come tho I can't see it being far away.

FF 2013 its over to you - impress me
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com