Saturday in main screen. Thoughts?

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
digitalsoul
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Saturday in main screen. Thoughts?

Post by digitalsoul »

I have a ticket for Willow Creek, but am really torn between this and Frankenstein's Army. Willow Creek looks like it may be the better film overall, but Frankenstein's Army looks like it could be visually great and has the added benefit of being on the main screen. Anyone seen both and have a recommendation?
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Just a heads up that Stalled has now sold out its two screenings, so only the pass-holder allocated tickets will be available on the morning of each screening.
digitalsoul
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by digitalsoul »

Will day pass holders be able to pick up tickets for the 11am 2nd screening of Dead 2 india?
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

digitalsoul wrote:
So bearing in mind the greatness I have see since a child with regards to the horror genre with some exceptional actors, it takes a A LOT for me to rave about a movie in the way I still rave about movies like ALIEN, THE THING, ROSEMARY'S BABY, ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE, THE OLD DARK HOUSE, THE SHINING, PSYCHO, THE OMEN, HALLOWEEN, JAWS, etc and thankfully there have been some real crackers like REC 1, 28 DAYS, INSIDIOUS, THE WOMAN IN BLACK, DEVILS REJECTS, SAW, REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, MISERY, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, OLD BOY and many more besides.
Cool that you include Requiem for a Dream in that list. A modern classic and a film that truly commits to its bleak human horror! That and Old Boy are two films in your list that truly blew me away when I first saw them. Dont feel the same way about Devils Rejects and the Woman in Black, whilst effective, was pretty by the numbers old school spooker, but a very good list overall. We have similar tastes. I'd add The Others, The Orphanage and Let the Right One in to that list also. Plus, do the first 2 Hellraiser films classify as 'modern' in 2013?

Anyway, I'm not anticipating being scared at any point on the Saturday, I just don't think any of the films offer that type of experience unfortunately, but hope that theres still other thrills to be had with some of them.

I know a lot of people that don't rate Devils Reject much also, but I like Rob Zombie's characters as they are bloody twisted in this movie and the overall mayhem woven in with with the cool music he uses is up my street. Halloween was so disastrous I couldn't believe someone who is obviously a horror fan like RZ, could do such a poor job - thinking about that movie actually puts me on a downer as I love Halloween - I mean you cannot balls that remake up! I really liked the look of Woman in Black and having seen the play 3 times which is very different to the movie and watched the BBC adaptation, I was intrigued to see how they were going to pull this off. I think they did a great job and being a fan of period dramas as we girls often are, I was bound to enjoy this with its atmosphere and creepiness. Orphanage is such a great movie which I saw at FFest and definitely belongs in that list as you say. Funnily enough I watched Hellraiser a couple of days ago and still enjoyed it.

I think its come to the point where being really scared is but a memory, but I do believe that it is still possible for me feel that in a big way still. Im just waiting for that movie to come along. When your best friends (in my case 2 brothers) parents let you watch every video nasty under the sun throughout primary school and films like Zombie Flesheaters (God I still love that movie), Evil Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre at 9 years old your moments of being scared s**tless tend to occur back then and as you grow up watching more and more horrors you get more accustomed to scares. Im gratefull if I get scared or jump several times in a movie - I Love that feeling :s :o :D .
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

digitalsoul wrote:Will day pass holders be able to pick up tickets for the 11am 2nd screening of Dead 2 india?
Interesting one. Full weekend pass holders shouldn't need to, because they'll see it as the opener (unless they can't make it) - there's no Disco screen at the same time. But if you hold a pass for the day of the Dead 2 Disco screening then technically that should allow you to get a ticket, subject to availability. I'll check for you.

Stalled now has a third screening on Monday 26th at 8.50pm
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

From Facebook:
Please note, the sold out status refers to tickets on sale to non pass holders. There will be tickets available in the normal manner to these films, with the exception of the additional screening of STALLED for festival and day pass holders.
stshaw
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by stshaw »

digitalsoul wrote:I have a ticket for Willow Creek, but am really torn between this and Frankenstein's Army. Willow Creek looks like it may be the better film overall, but Frankenstein's Army looks like it could be visually great and has the added benefit of being on the main screen. Anyone seen both and have a recommendation?
Digitalsoul. Go and see Willow Creek, its by far the better of the two films and the Q&A should be great fun.
digitalsoul
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by digitalsoul »

stshaw wrote:
digitalsoul wrote:I have a ticket for Willow Creek, but am really torn between this and Frankenstein's Army. Willow Creek looks like it may be the better film overall, but Frankenstein's Army looks like it could be visually great and has the added benefit of being on the main screen. Anyone seen both and have a recommendation?
Digitalsoul. Go and see Willow Creek, its by far the better of the two films and the Q&A should be great fun.
Ok, I'm convinced. My only undecided slot now is the 3rd one. I'm not really sold on Hammer of the Gods (the trailer looks ok to be honest, but every review I've read has panned it), so its between Clophill and Cannon Fodder. Both look interetsing. Anyone seen either of these and have any thoughts?
m_bain86
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by m_bain86 »

My Saturday right now is a straight split down the middle (assuming I can get tickets for the Disco 1 screenings I'm after). First three in Disco 1, last 3 in the main screen.

Don't really have especially high hopes for RIPD, but the alternatives aren't jumping off the page at me and I'm quite a big Jeff Bridges fan, so I'd say I'll probably give it a try. If nothing else, I'll maybe use the time for a breather!
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

I tend to ignore "popular" opinion and mainstream critics (and some of the more rabid genre ones as well...), even though I write a few reviews myself.
Will still be seeing "RIPD" as;
A) I'm incredibly lazy and will always plonk my fat ass in the main screen unless I'm rampant to see a disco movie.
B) It's got Jeff Bridges in it.
C) It's got Sarah Louise Parker in it.
D) The Bacon-Meister!!
E) It's still a relatively big release and won't (officially) be out in the UK until 20th Sept
F) Probably the only chance to see it in 3D (yeah, I know that's going to turn away many people. But I still live in hope of another Final Dest 5!!) on such a big screen.

May end up disliking it... but it'll be on my own terms... 8)
The180Curse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by The180Curse »

Wulfster wrote: F) Probably the only chance to see it in 3D (yeah, I know that's going to turn away many people. But I still live in hope of another Final Dest 5!!) on such a big screen.
RIPD is a post-conversion, unlike FD5, which was shot in 3D (that's why it looked so awesome!). It won't look anywhere near as good.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

The180Curse wrote:
Wulfster wrote: F) Probably the only chance to see it in 3D (yeah, I know that's going to turn away many people. But I still live in hope of another Final Dest 5!!) on such a big screen.
RIPD is a post-conversion, unlike FD5, which was shot in 3D (that's why it looked so awesome!). It won't look anywhere near as good.
Bugger!
I'll get me coat...
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

I think Saturday in the main screen in very weak:

Frankenstein's Army probably should be moved to a discovery screen. Swap with Stalled or Willow Creek.

What Hammer of the Gods is even doing here is beyond me :S

I can see why R.I.P.D is showing. Poor reviews, but it might still be harmless fun.

No one lives looks okay.

I am looking forward to Cheap Thrills. I have a feeling it'll be pretty good :D