My Annual Mistake!

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
PXP
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

My Annual Mistake!

Post by PXP »

Hello Everyone! Every year I always seem to pick a film in the Discovery Screen that I think will be brilliant and then come out having watched a stinker only to find that the main screen film was unmissable. Last year I watched 'Community' whilst everyone else raved about 'Sleep Tight'. I did eventually watch it at a Spanish Film Festival at Cine Lumiere! Anyone else have this affliction? If so what did you miss that everyone else was talking about?
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: My Annual Mistake!

Post by DJBenz »

I missed Rabies last year, even tried to get a ticket for one of the extra screenings but the buzz was too strong and I missed out.
digitalsoul
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by digitalsoul »

I have tickets for Willow Creek in disco 1 and Frankensteins army in main this year and am no sure which way to go.
mike108
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by mike108 »

i missed the Raid at Glasgow, turned out to be the highlight of the weekend...
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Best decision I ever made was to see "Burning Bright" instead of the trippy "Eggshells". Great way to start the day, and was very smug about it to my neighbours.

Can't help feeling all my disco choices this year are in peril as so many have sold out already...
I'll be queuing for the reserved festival pass seats (MORE bloody crack-of-dawn queuing. :( ) but knowing my luck, I'm not that optimistic. Have to see how the "extra" screenings work out...
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I made a huge mistake in 2009 seeing the crappy Fragment in the Discovery screen instead of the excellent Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in the main screen.

In 2010 I saw the utterly shite Finale in the Disco screen instead of the Tobe Hooper interview, but as I don't really like long interviews, this wasn't such an issue.

In 2011 it went a bit better, as I saw 2 films I really like it the Disco screen in Midnight Son and A Horrible Way To Die, instead of The Holding and the Larry Fessenden interview.

I managed to get it right in 2012, by seeing the excellent We Are The Night instead of the poo The Thomas in the main screen.

I think the quality in the Discovery Screen is getting much better over the last few years, whereas when they first had the second screen it all seemed like poor films and B-movies, it seems much better now, and last year and this year has some very good films. I don't think I'm going to make a mistake by going to any Disco films this year, the issue will be actually getting tickets as I imagine demand will be high.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Biggest mistake was staying in bed and not watching Kidnapped a few years back.
I didn't get up for Eurocrime last year which was a mistake also.
PXP
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PXP »

oh my yes kidnapped! what a fantastic film! i was left visibly shaken at the end and needed an 11am whisky!
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

... and to add to your pain "Eurocrime" was great too!
Some fantastic interviews and clips in that (including a jaw-dropping Belmondo stunt!).

BTW: Why is this not on region 2 DVD yet?
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Wulfster wrote:... and to add to your pain "Eurocrime" was great too!
Some fantastic interviews and clips in that (including a jaw-dropping Belmondo stunt!).

You mean you can actually get it on DVD?

Link per chance, bitte?

I never thought it would get released due to it being to expensive to get permission from all the different studios/music, etc that were involved in putting together this great documentary.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

TheDukeAbides wrote:

Link per chance, bitte?

I never thought it would get released due to it being to expensive to get permission from all the different studios/music, etc that were involved in putting together this great documentary.
Yeah. Sorry Duke. It was me being vague. You can omit the "region 2" bit of that statement.
There is no evidence for it having been (or going to be) released on any region of DVD/Blu-Ray, as far as I can see (unless any one of you fine folk know any different).
So you're probably spot on with that last point.
Shame. It was a bloody good doc!
benj
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by benj »

Wolfshade wrote:I managed to get it right in 2012, by seeing the excellent We Are The Night instead of the poo The Thomas in the main screen.
I'm guessing you mean The Thompsons, but agreed... I really enjoyed We Are The Night and couldn't believe it didn't get shown on the main screen.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Wulfster wrote:
TheDukeAbides wrote:

Link per chance, bitte?

Yeah. Sorry Duke. It was me being vague. You can omit the "region 2" bit of that statement.
There is no evidence for it having been (or going to be) released on any region of DVD/Blu-Ray, as far as I can see (unless any one of you fine folk know any different).
So you're probably spot on with that last point.
Shame. It was a bloody good doc!
Cheers for the clarification...

Though I did find this - hmmm

http://www.eurocrimedoc.com/#!eurocrimedvd/c6f5

Legit or not I don't know...
stshaw
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by stshaw »

digitalsoul wrote:I have tickets for Willow Creek in disco 1 and Frankensteins army in main this year and am no sure which way to go.
I have seen both. Go see Willow Creek. Great film and a great guest. If you must see Frankensteins Army wait for it on DVD.
stshaw
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by stshaw »

TheDukeAbides wrote:
Though I did find this - hmmm

http://www.eurocrimedoc.com/#!eurocrimedvd/c6f5

Legit or not I don't know...
Its legit. The site belongs to the guys who made the film.