Missing In Action

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
sdaveak47
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Missing In Action

Post by sdaveak47 »

And its another thread in the matter of seconds ...as you can probably guess i dont have much on tonight !!!

Just wondering what film you were hoping to see this year but didn't make the line up?

For me it has to be Insidious Chapter 2 - although the first suffered from budget restraints it features a couple of the best crafted jump scares of recent years. The Conjuring shows Wan has now taken it to another level.

Would have loved Wolf Creek 2 but i guess its not ready yet
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Missing In Action

Post by streetrw »

Easy: THE STRANGE COLOUR OF YOUR BODY'S TEARS. I rewatched AMER last night on Blu and while my main problem with it - that I'd have liked more in the way of a tightly constructed narrative in the manner of the best gialli - doesn't dispel on a second viewing, it is still absolutely beautiful to look at. Maybe it'll be on at the Halloween event.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
foster twelvetrees
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by foster twelvetrees »

Insidious 2. Without a doubt. Especially in light of The Conjuring I can't understand it's exclusion unless the distributors refused. Yes it's released in a few weeks but You're Next is released the next day! ( not an issue for me, it sounds like it could be a highlight of the fest and I'd sooner watch any horror movie with a FF crowd.)

Tbh Insidious 2 is the film that should have taken either opening night or def the RIPD slot. And, if RIPD is there as part of a deal to get something the guys really wanted, how about bumping Hammer of the Gods? I am almost curious enough to watch it ( almost) but will choose one of the many stunners programmed in the disco screen this year that should probably be on the big screen.

As always, IMHO...
"Mister Twelvetrees, I beseach you..."
"You beseach yerself mate, I'm off!"
StuartB
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by StuartB »

I would have liked to have seen The Profane Exhibit, The Theatre Bizarre 2 and Thanatomorphose. If I could have picked anyone to attend it would have been Timo Tijahjanto.
m_bain86
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by m_bain86 »

I was hoping for The Profane Exhibit too, looks like it's going to be a really interesting one.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I don't think Theatre Bizarre 2 is ready yet, but yes Insidious Chapter 2 seems a very strange omission, looks excellent and the first one was a favourite with loads of FF fans.

I assume there's a reason for its absence, I don't know why it would be overlooked for the likes of RIPD, Hammer Of The Gods, Hatchet 3, etc.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

To be honest, i don't think Insidious 2 was overlooked. It comes out 2/3 weeks after frightfest so it wouldn't have been much of a wait. Infact, if you look at it- R.I.P.D comes out not long after frightfest, YOU'RE NEXT comes out THAT weekend, WITHER, NO ONE LIVES and HANSEL AND GRETAL are out on R1 DVD at the cinema store. They got some choice films this year and from what i have seen looking at the net, it's getting harder and harder to get films that aren't coming out on DVD not long after for FRIGHTFEST. Remember, FRIGHTFEST is at the tail end of the festival season.

To be frank, i was more surprised they got CURSE OF CHUCKY (Which i cannot wait for). Films that end up in american festivals are pretty much coming out on DVD not long after now. Its the TORONTO film festival and the BFI london festival where the films are more rarer now and don't come out as quickly.

And it all depends on the film studio's too.
foster twelvetrees
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by foster twelvetrees »

Rue-morgue Jay wrote:To be honest, i don't think Insidious 2 was overlooked. It comes out 2/3 weeks after frightfest so it wouldn't have been much of a wait. Infact, if you look at it- R.I.P.D comes out not long after frightfest, YOU'RE NEXT comes out THAT weekend, WITHER, NO ONE LIVES and HANSEL AND GRETAL are out on R1 DVD at the cinema store. They got some choice films this year and from what i have seen looking at the net, it's getting harder and harder to get films that aren't coming out on DVD not long after for FRIGHTFEST. Remember, FRIGHTFEST is at the tail end of the festival season.

To be frank, i was more surprised they got CURSE OF CHUCKY (Which i cannot wait for). Films that end up in american festivals are pretty much coming out on DVD not long after now. Its the TORONTO film festival and the BFI london festival where the films are more rarer now and don't come out as quickly.

And it all depends on the film studio's too.
I agree. As time moves on and traditional distribution models change, I would imagine getting a Frightfest line up without a majority of movies that are imminently or already released will get harder and harder. That all important 'window' for films is getting narrower by the year. In ten years time will it be possible to find 40 to 50 really good movies that haven't already been released on some ( or all!) formats somewhere in the world?
It won't make any difference to me and many others coming to FF. but the world of film distribution and release is changing ever more quickly.

But back to the question, 'where's Insidious 2?'

;)
"Mister Twelvetrees, I beseach you..."
"You beseach yerself mate, I'm off!"
stshaw
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by stshaw »

I really expected to see Green Inferno in the lineup. Perhaps we will see it in October.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Rue-morgue Jay wrote:To be honest, i don't think Insidious 2 was overlooked. It comes out 2/3 weeks after frightfest so it wouldn't have been much of a wait. Infact, if you look at it- R.I.P.D comes out not long after frightfest, YOU'RE NEXT comes out THAT weekend, WITHER, NO ONE LIVES and HANSEL AND GRETAL are out on R1 DVD at the cinema store. They got some choice films this year and from what i have seen looking at the net, it's getting harder and harder to get films that aren't coming out on DVD not long after for FRIGHTFEST. Remember, FRIGHTFEST is at the tail end of the festival season.
I don't really understand the logic there, yes they're mindful of having too many films immediately having a mainstream release after the fest, but if the choice was between Insidious 2 and R.I.P.D., then why was Insidious 2, which would have gone down a storm with the FF crowd, rejected in favour of a kiddie Men In Black rip off that's been universally panned by the critics?
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

Wolfshade wrote:
I don't really understand the logic there, yes they're mindful of having too many films immediately having a mainstream release after the fest, but if the choice was between Insidious 2 and R.I.P.D., then why was Insidious 2, which would have gone down a storm with the FF crowd, rejected in favour of a kiddie Men In Black rip off that's been universally panned by the critics?
Maybe it was also a case of the film company not letting them have it either?
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

I really thought we were going to get Insidious 2 - especially as The Conjuring was the sleepy queue film, I thought there would be some sort of James Wan link.

I echo everyone else in that this would have been much better than R.I.P.D which I've already seen and is as bad as everyone thinks it will be. CGI snore fest MIB wannabe for 10 year olds.

Would LOVE to have seen The Green Inferno - heres hoping its in October.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW may have worked in the Discovery Screen...
The low budget, black and white, very arty movie was surreptitiously shot almost entirely in the Disney theme parks using DSLR cameras. It's a scathing satire of Disney, consumer culture and the American extended adolescence, and it is jammed with trademarked characters and imagery.

This is a great film. It's funny, smart, incisive, dangerous and really artistic. Director Randy Moore shot this movie in a way no one else has ever tried, including creating elaborate charts of sun positions in the different Disney parks so he could get the lighting he wanted without alerting security to the fact that he was shooting a movie
http://badassdigest.com/2013/08/19/amaz ... -released/
The movie centers on an alienated man (Roy Abramsohn) taking a family vacation as he slowly begins to get caught up in a conspiracy -- or loses his mind. The version of the movie that will be released commercially has been re-cut and is about 15 minutes shorter than the edition that played Sundance, which some criticized as too long.

With its edgy tone, the movie is expected to appeal to a young audience and also could make one or more stops at a post-summer film festival. Though it is a narrative study of one character and contains a helping of genre elements, the film also was believed by some to be a political critique on, among other things, the forced sunniness of Disney theme parks.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... 5533.story
The result of Moore’s quixotic dream is “Escape from Tomorrow,” a Surrealist, genre-defying black-and-white film that was shown for the first time at the Sundance Film Festival on Friday night and that was primarily shot across the vast expanses of Disney theme parks in Orlando and Anaheim. There is Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin and Space Mountain, Tiki Room and teacups, princesses and a Main Street parade. At one point, Epcot Center blows up.

It is one of the strangest and most provocative movies this reporter has seen in eight years attending the Sundance Film Festival. And it may well never be viewed by a commercial audience.
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/19 ... e-20130118
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

"This year's Amer". It's really handy to have a clearly marked giallo to make time for a decent meal...
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Unlikely I know, but I would have preferred to see something like the "Carrie" remake, or even "Riddick" in the "RIPD" slot (even though I stuck up for "RIPD", prior to all the guffawing and Box Office from America. Damn it all! It still might be a guilty pleasure...)
Otherwise I would have liked to have seen "Among Friends" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_RBN-ozihk , which would have been a great excuse to get Danielle Harris back on stage!
Also;
"Would you rather" (I know it's out on region 1 DVD, but so is "No One lives") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it5XICr93wU
&
"My Amityville Horror" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5WOHxGw2VU

All looked good, but it's in no way casting dispersions on the line-up, which is still pretty damn strong.
Personally I have a feeling that Monday's line-up might surprise us all....