5 most anticapated films?

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
sdaveak47
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

5 most anticapated films?

Post by sdaveak47 »

Not long to go now - my first frightfest is just round the corner !! - i was just wondering what films people are most looking forward too

Here's my picks

1. You're Next - The fact its due a wide release soon as taken the shine off a little but reviews so far have been universally great
2. Odd Thomas - Good cast , I'm a fan of the directors Deep Rising and the trailer (iffy CGI aside) looks good - should have been in the RIPD slot.
3. Cheap Thrills - Has tore it up at every festival its played so far. The people do horrible things to each other genre is played out but it can still produce the odd gem, like The Loved Ones, with any luck this'll be another winner.
4. Frankensteins Army - This board seems quite down on this but i love me some mad scientist action. The directors Worst Case Scenario shorts were great and i loved the monster designs i've seen.
5. Big Bad Wolves - wasn't a fan of Rabies but the trailer looks great so this looks like a reason to stick around on Monday, again, excellent reviews so far.

Would have included V/H/S/2 but i've already seen it - if any of the above 5 match the Safe Haven section i'll be a happy chap

so how about you?
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: 5 most anticapated films?

Post by morralex »

Frankenstein's Army
The Demon's Rook
Your'e Next
We Are What We Are
VHS2
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

In reverse order...

5) "Wither" - Because it looks to be a balls-out "Evil Dead" homage, and I liked Sonny Laguna's "Blood runs cold"
4) "V/H/S 2" - I know a lot of people have already seen it, but I'm saving myself for Frightfest and I dug the original movie.
3) "We are what we are" - Lot of subtle hype around this. Personally disliked the original Mexican version, but I love Jim Mickle's other movies ("Stakeland" & "Mulberry Street") and this is supposed to be a corking interpretation of the story.
2) "Big Bad Wolves" - Been getting lots of awards from other festivals. Should be great, and the co-directors are such nice guys that they deserve their success.
1) "You're Next" - Been really, really looking forward to this for ages. Shame that the "London preview" has turned into a bit of a non-event, with other screenings and previews meaning that we're seeing it pretty much the same time as (or after) everybody else. Ah well, used to being spoiled I suppose... At least it should be a perfect late-night show for Thursday.

I'm willing to bet that something else unexpected will blow my socks off though. The way "Maniac" and "Sleep Tight" did last year...
The180Curse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by The180Curse »

1. Paranormal Diaries: Clophill - Heard a few things about the supposed hauntings of the place this documentary covers, and it's pretty spooky stuff - think this will scare me good!

2. V/H/S 2 - Really enjoyed the first one, heard great things about this one

3. You're Next - love a good home invasion movie, this looks set to deliver!

4. We Are What We Are - I've been meaning to see the original for years now, but I hear this is meant to be even better - Alan himself recommended me to not watch the original and go in afresh with this! So I'll heed his advice!

5. Willow Creek - love me some found footage! know next to nothing about this except that it's meant to be pretty good, hope to be surprised!
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

The180Curse wrote:1. Paranormal Diaries: Clophill - Heard a few things about the supposed hauntings of the place this documentary covers, and it's pretty spooky stuff - think this will scare me good!

2. V/H/S 2 - Really enjoyed the first one, heard great things about this one

3. You're Next - love a good home invasion movie, this looks set to deliver!

4. We Are What We Are - I've been meaning to see the original for years now, but I hear this is meant to be even better - Alan himself recommended me to not watch the original and go in afresh with this! So I'll heed his advice!

5. Willow Creek - love me some found footage! know next to nothing about this except that it's meant to be pretty good, hope to be surprised!
Oh yes, PD:C too for me. Looks great and I love witches.
StuartB
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by StuartB »

I've seen You're Next (violent comedy), V/H/S 2 (worth it for Safe Haven alone) and Hansel & Gretel Get Baked (stoner comedy) so would go for:

1. Big Bad Wolves-looks right up my street, must try and see Rabies beforehand
2. Painless-great feedback from friends, seems to have a modern French feel about it (I could be wrong)
3. The Demon's Rook-splatterfest hopefully
4. Antisocial-wasn't high on the list but reviews have been very favourable
5. Stalled-zombies in a toilet, looks like silly fun
m_bain86
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by m_bain86 »

1. You're Next - this looks so far up my street it's unreal
2. For Elisa - everything I've seen, read and heard about this makes it sound like it's going to be a palpable hit for me.
3. Big Bad Wolves - hadn't really given this too much thought until I watched the trailer. Looks totally hypnotic.
4. Painless - a really interesting idea that I just have a really good feeling about.
5. Missionary - this is on my list mostly because all I know about it is the paragraph that's written about it on the FF website, so all I've got going in is that the premise intrigues me, and have really no idea how it's going to be pitched atmospherically.

In terms of things that I'm sorry I'm going to have to miss, Snap would be it. Just can't turn down Odd Thomas - does anyone know the latest on the lawsuit that's hovering around this film?
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

1. Odd Thomas - just picked up the book yesterday and can't stop reading it, it's excellent, so hopes for the film are high, not horror but should still go down well.
2. V/H/S 2 - loads of highly positive reviews, can't wait for this.
3. You're Next - looks like exactly what we want a FF to be - fun and scary...just gotta have plenty of Red Bull to make sure I don't fall asleep in the middle of the Thursday night late film, as usually happens.
4. 100 Blood Acres/Cheap Thrills/ No One Lives - films I don't know much about, but could turn out to be unexpected highlights.
5. Painless/Stalled/Wither - if I actually manage to get any tickets for the Discovery Screen...
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

1- CURSE OF CHUCKY. love the trailer, (only one i've seen form frightfest unless you count YOU'RE NEXT but that's at almost every film i've seen in the last two weeks.)
2- WITHER- i like the sound of it, but haven't looked it up.
3-HAUNTER- same again, just want to be surprised.
-REWIND THIS- hopefully i can get a ticket or i might just buy one instead. I love documentries at FRIGHTFEST, and this is gonna be a good one.
4-THE HYPNOTIST/ DAYLIGHT/ WAKE IN FRIGHT- like the look of the 1st two and have heard so much cool stuff about WAKE IN FRIGHT.
5-PAINLESS/ FOR ELISA both looked scary creepy. Discovery screen could be quite a factor this year.
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

1. You're Next - Been looking forward to this for months,lots of decent buzz and trailer was excellent.

2. Banshee Chapter - Think this will be the suprise hit of the festival, trailer was creepy as hell and pretty much everything Zachary Quinto is involved with has been good.

3. The Dyatlov Pass Incident - Blair Witch in the snow is all I needed to know. Can't wait.

4. Cheap Thrills - Again lots of buzz and a fun interesting premise.

5. In Fear - Had excellent reviews from Sundance, looks a solid Brit horrir.
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

In reverse order...

5. Haunter - Vincenzo Natali hasn't done me wrong yet and the trailer looks good.
4. R.I.P.D - You need some big budget studio gloss to cleanse the palate sometimes.
3. We Are What We Are - the original rocked and word is this may actually improve upon it. Which would put it in the same league as Nolan's Insomnia for me.
2. Corruption - It's a rare Peter Cushing film, it sounds bonkers and Kim Newman's introducing. What's not to get excited about?
1. You're Next - Could be this year's Sinister. Can't wait.

Film everyone should see - Odd Thomas. Donnie Darko meets Scott Pilgrim and great fun. Should bring the Monday afternoon house down.
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
m_bain86
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by m_bain86 »

Rob@Sky wrote:1. You're Next - Could be this year's Sinister. Can't wait.

Film everyone should see - Odd Thomas. Donnie Darko meets Scott Pilgrim and great fun. Should bring the Monday afternoon house down.
I absolutely LOVE Sinister. Re-watched it the other night for the first time since I got it on DVD, went in with pretty minimal expectations and it blew me away.

That description of Odd Thomas has nudged my excitement level up a notch or two!
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

You're Next is gonna go down a storm with the FF crowd. Ace film, just right for the audience.
Charlie
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Charlie »

100 Blood Acres
Cheap Thrills
Curse of Chucky
Wither
Haunter
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

m_bain86 wrote:Just can't turn down Odd Thomas - does anyone know the latest on the lawsuit that's hovering around this film?
It's not going to affect Frightfest at all. When I asked the UK distributor if it was going to cause any problems, they didn't even know about it.