FrightFest memories

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

FrightFest memories

Post by Rob@Sky »

It's kinda hitting me that I've been attending FrightFest every year bar two and FOURTEEN YEARS have passed since that first year.

Here's a dewy-eyed tribute I've posted up on my blog.
http://www.electric-shadows.com/frightfest-memories/

But, what are your favourite FF memories?
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
The180Curse
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: FrightFest memories

Post by The180Curse »

My first ever Frightfest was in 2011 - I had just turned 18, and being a teenager who'd dreamt of going since he was 12, well yeah - you can imagine the excitement. I stropped up by myself, a bit nervous - it was the UK premiere of Final Destination 5, a franchise I'm a proud die-hard fan of. I will never forget the reactions during the closing minutes. The ear splitting cheers and applause was something that got me a bit teary - such a fantastic atmosphere and audience response, it's a fans dream to be part of such a crowd. And it's during those 5 days when I'd make friends with some of the most fantastic, twisted individuals I've ever known - and I've sat next to them every year since.

Cannot wait for this year - like I'm coming home!
Last edited by The180Curse on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

Top story - the FD5 screening was great and that ending blew me away. Makes the film even richer on a second viewing when you pick up the little clues.
Ta!
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Relating to FD5, I remember that little ripple of applause and cheer from the back of the audience, that gradually spread to the front, even before I even twigged the brilliant twist! Marvellous stuff. You don't get THAT in the multiplexes!
I've been going since 2001 (albeit missing 2002), so this will be my 12th (Jesus!)...
Have some great memories.
Last year was a personal highlight, partly due to meeting Ross Noble and getting my mug on the Horror Channel, but mostly due to the overall quality of the films IMHO.

Here's a few of my general favourite moments to throw out;
* The whole audience busting (not a typo. They didn't "burst", they "bust") spontaneously into laughter at THAT line in "Tulpa" in 2012.
* The "French Lady" at each and every Frightfest. Guaranteed to bring a sprightly Q&A to a halt. Bless her French cotton socks...
* The person who shouted "12A?!!!" at the premiere of "Red Eye" in 2005.
* David Hess, chilling with da' kids, wearing his t-shirt inside out and playing his guitar in-between films, in 2009. What a nice guy. RIP mate.
* Somebody in the audience getting really arsy with Uwe Boll during a Q&A in 2007.
* The greatly anticipated satellite link-up interview with Hideo Nakata going completely tits-up. I think it was in 2005...
* "Burning Bright" being accidentally started at twice the film speed in 2010, causing Meatloaf to sound like a chipmunk!
* Paul looking for Frankie Boyle in the audience after a twitter rumour last year.
* And two guys who loudly shouted "UH - OH!" during "Tulpa" (again. I know. sorry.), when the leading actress took one sleeping pill too many...

Many more, but my memory is crap, and I don't want to test people's patience. There's always something wacky or special that happens though...
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

The French lady is great. Didn't she bring a spec script to the Argento Q&A last year?
Ta!
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

John Landis was the best guest for me. He popped up all over the place, watching films in the discovery screen and hijacking most of the main screen for the entire weekend.

Also, talking of the Q&A speakers, last year somebody told the director of The Seasoning House that their film was weak and required a re-edit. A fantastic public beginning to the festival! Always some cracking main-screen Q&A action.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I'm sure the French lady makes notes throughout the films.

Pretty sure she is something to do with 'human rights' so I think she extrapolates every possible theme in every movie to something related to her subject of expertise and then quizzes the makers to gain different points of view.

She just spends far to long getting to the point in any question she asks.

Plus - I only ever see her in the screen, I've never seen her in the foyer, outside, anywhere else - for a large woman with a mass of white hair she has amazing ninja skills.

But more than that, its the ripple of true horror that goes through the audience as they realise what is going to happen, its masochistic.

She is part of the audience and that is the factor that enhances and even makes all my FrightFest memories.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

TheDukeAbides wrote:I'm sure the French lady makes notes throughout the films.

Pretty sure she is something to do with 'human rights' so I think she extrapolates every possible theme in every movie to something related to her subject of expertise and then quizzes the makers to gain different points of view.

She just spends far to long getting to the point in any question she asks.

Plus - I only ever see her in the screen, I've never seen her in the foyer, outside, anywhere else - for a large woman with a mass of white hair she has amazing ninja skills.

But more than that, its the ripple of true horror that goes through the audience as they realise what is going to happen, its masochistic.

She is part of the audience and that is the factor that enhances and even makes all my FrightFest memories.
I am so up for the French Lady!
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Maybe Graham Humphreys could incorporate her into next year's poster design?