Going it Alone

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
m_bain86
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Going it Alone

Post by m_bain86 »

Hi guys...

I'm coming down for the festival this year from Aberdeen, it's my first time to the full festival (decided I couldn't miss out after I had so much fun at the Glasgow event in February - also a first for me!) and I'm going it alone, so it's nice to come across a thread like this after stumbling into the forum!

I went alone to the Glasgow one too. I was admittedly really nervous at the notion of going on my own (done it with gigs etc., out of my city in the past, but this was a bit different), but I was totally disarmed by how nice/welcoming the whole atmosphere was! Met in with some great people I'm very much looking forward to seeing again, as well as picking up a couple of Twitter contacts in the interim that I'm excited to meet!

So anyway, yes, I'm a massive latecomer both to FF and the horror genre in general, so I'm keen to make up for lost time! Will hopefully meet some of you over the weekend, I arrive on Wednesday so should be free in the evening!
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Yay! Welcome. :D
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

m_bain86 wrote:Hi guys...

I'm coming down for the festival this year from Aberdeen, it's my first time to the full festival (decided I couldn't miss out after I had so much fun at the Glasgow event in February - also a first for me!) and I'm going it alone, so it's nice to come across a thread like this after stumbling into the forum!

I went alone to the Glasgow one too. I was admittedly really nervous at the notion of going on my own (done it with gigs etc., out of my city in the past, but this was a bit different), but I was totally disarmed by how nice/welcoming the whole atmosphere was! Met in with some great people I'm very much looking forward to seeing again, as well as picking up a couple of Twitter contacts in the interim that I'm excited to meet!

So anyway, yes, I'm a massive latecomer both to FF and the horror genre in general, so I'm keen to make up for lost time! Will hopefully meet some of you over the weekend, I arrive on Wednesday so should be free in the evening!

Welcome to FFest from a native Londoner - Have a safe journey down :)
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
m_bain86
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by m_bain86 »

Thanks guys! Really excited to come down, only six more working days after this one til I take off!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I sat next to a man from Aberdeen at Glasgow, so I suspect it could be you?! You mentioned that some of the Sawney locations were places you occasionally walk through.... Look forward to seeing you again in London!
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
m_bain86
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by m_bain86 »

Alex J wrote:I sat next to a man from Aberdeen at Glasgow, so I suspect it could be you?! You mentioned that some of the Sawney locations were places you occasionally walk through.... Look forward to seeing you again in London!
YES! That was me! My band played a gig in the venue that features at the start of the film just a couple of weeks ago!

Looking forward to catching up with you again man :)
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

This is a good thread to have, as it can be quite daunting turning up alone. Of course not everyone knows each other, but it can sometimes feel that way when you're on your tod.

Best advice is what's been mentioned here already - start up a conversation with the person/people next to you. 99% of FFers are great people and one of the best aspects of FF is that you can have decent, insightful conversations on horror movies. Don't be afraid to make that first introduction, you have a great common interest in the festival itself you ain't going to be stuck for conversation topics.

After that your network spreads - like a virus fittingly enough, but not one that threatens humankind. But, maybe like a Cronenbergian one that radically changes your reality. And as Dave would say, that can sometimes be a good thing.
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
LondonHorrorSociety
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by LondonHorrorSociety »

Hey Guys,

I'll also be a FF loner this weekend - am looking forward to it hugely! will definitely hope to build a rapport with those around me. I have a weekend pass and am sitting on row EE if anyone wants to know :)
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

LondonHorrorSociety wrote:I'll also be a FF loner this weekend
You are the London Horror Society. By definition you are legion. :s

Welcome, pull up a chair to the fire and roast a brain. :D
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

LondonHorrorSociety wrote:Hey Guys,

I'll also be a FF loner this weekend - am looking forward to it hugely! will definitely hope to build a rapport with those around me. I have a weekend pass and am sitting on row EE if anyone wants to know :)
Make sure you get down to the Captains Cabin from 2pm on Thursday for pre-drinks. Not long now!
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Lou_Roll
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lou_Roll »

zappa fan wrote:

Make sure you get down to the Captains Cabin from 2pm on Thursday for pre-drinks. Not long now!

See you therrrrrrrrrrrre!
MI5 messed with my salad.
Twitter: Lou_Roll
LondonHorrorSociety
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by LondonHorrorSociety »

zappa fan wrote:

Nice! i'll try my best but im working till 5 :( First film is at what, 5:30?
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

6:30
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

Never be concerned about going alone. You will always get to know new people by Monday night
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
bounce08
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bounce08 »

Also about to commence this 5-day quest alone! Happy to enjoy a beer or two with an FF-ers!