Shouting At People Regarding Phones During Movies

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
EvilAsh
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Shouting At People Regarding Phones During Movies

Post by EvilAsh »

There was a guy in seat 1, nearish the back of the front section who messed with his phone every film - I asked him twice, quietly and got told 'If you don't like it mate fuck off' someone shouted at him the rest of the time and he stopped right away.
He seemed to do like he wanted a fight. Now I'm not even going to start on the Frightfest iPad users ffs!
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Wolfshade wrote:I think sometimes people may just remember their phone may have the volume on, and quickly turn it on just to put it on silent...
The Aylmer wrote:it suddenly occurred to me that I might have left my phone on.
100HorrorFilms wrote:I had a moment too when I thought my phone was on and did the exact same as you.
If only there were some way to remind everyone in the cinema to shut their phone off... perhaps some kind of message that could be delivered to everyone simultaneously. Hey, we could add some images! Or some video, even! Perhaps some humourous riff on the horror theme, whilst at the same time reminding people to TURN THEIR BLOODY PHONE OFF.

Guess we'd need to play it before every single film, though. You know how forgetful some people can be.
Pork Chop Express
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Pork Chop Express »

richskara wrote:Must have been never said anything.

Checking football scores on a Saturday aft > horror films
Really!? Why would you not just wait until the end of the film or leave the screen? Thankfully I only saw a couple of people that couldn't control themselves. It's not a hard or complicated thing to do, you're there to watch a film, turn your phone off, don't talk and have consideration for the people around you.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Ignore the troll.

I have many pet peeves in a cinema, but shouting out straight after the ident has played is silly.

But really, if someone forgets to turn their phone to silent before the film, or can't live without looking at it for 90 minutes I'd suggest they have severe psychological issues.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

richskara wrote:It's the cinema equivalent of keyboard warriors. I used my phone at various points in the weekend (albeit with brightness turned down and down side of my chair) and no one challenged me though had they I'd have quite happily told them to go fuck themselves.
I agree - I think some people feel that they have the right to shout abuse at people because I have a hunch that they may have been going to FFest since the beginning and this issue has been discussed so much over the years, that its just got to the point where certain people think they can speak to people in any way that they wish. I doubt that newbies to FF would be doing this shouting to be honest, but I could be wrong.

If someone makes an effort to hide their phone etc when they look at it Im not going to get out of my pram and verbally abuse them. I think its taking it a bit too far and one day may result in someone getting a smack in the face as well as being told where go.

If you compare the use of phones and levels of talking in other cinemas to FFest, there is a massive massive difference in behaviour and like I said it was the best year so far for phone consideration, but the worst year for people shouting at others at the top of their voices during the movie.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
steve806
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by steve806 »

I thought the level of people using phones was greatly reduced this year and personally I would thank everyone for that. It has improved dramatically over the last couple of years.

With regard to shouting at people using phones I thought most were polite in asking, as they should be, though I do agree some where a bit fast off the mark when opening credits role.

However, I would say to all those expressing bravado about how they continue to use their phones, lets be clear, you are not a crusader against the oppressive masses, your are not sticking it to the man. You are quite simply ignorant. You have entered a environment where the use of phones has been clearly frowned upon. You have been given a mass of information asking you to not use your phone, you have heard people shout out for phones to be switched off and if you follow this forum you will have seen this issue discussed many times, but in spite of this you continue to use your phones during films and by doing so clearly showing a complete disregard for your fellow festival goers.

It doesn't matter if you think it is acceptable to use your phone, there are no excuses that justify your behaviour. The reality is that the huge majority of a group of 1300 people have clearly expressed a desire to not have phones used whilst the films play but you have decided that you are so important that respect and the common decency do not apply to you and so you completely ignore their wishes. Shame on you.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

steve806 wrote:I thought the level of people using phones was greatly reduced this year and personally I would thank everyone for that. It has improved dramatically over the last couple of years.

Agree, I remember in 2009 I had to sit next to some knob who was constantly texting on his phone throughout the films, and when I asked him to stop he threw a hissy fit. Thankfully behaviour like this seems to be a thing of the past, and everyone is much more considerate these days.

Checking the football scores during a film is definitely not okay, the aforementioned person's texting in 2009 constantly broke my concentration on the films, and I'm sure seeing someone looking at the footy scores would do the same.
jonbly wrote: If only there were some way to remind everyone in the cinema to shut their phone off... perhaps some kind of message that could be delivered to everyone simultaneously. Hey, we could add some images! Or some video, even! Perhaps some humourous riff on the horror theme, whilst at the same time reminding people to TURN THEIR BLOODY PHONE OFF.

Guess we'd need to play it before every single film, though. You know how forgetful some people can be.
Right, this is where some slight tolerance needs to be exercised - seeing as I didn't see a single phone on from where I was all weekend, I would say the phones off films worked very well and generally people were very mindful of their phones...HOWEVER, it is still very possible that after quickly rushing into the cinema from a break, someone may have forgotten to turn their phone on silent, and one of the "turn yer phone off" mini films may have reminded them about this, and they may need to quickly switch in on to put in on silent. It is really not fair to have everyone walking on eggshells and afraid to do the right thing and turn it on to put it on silent because they'll get a chorus of abuse. Remember all the "turn off your phone" shouting was happening BEFORE the films started, as soon as the lights went out, so it's highly likely these people were actually in the process of putting their phones on silent rather thn texting, etc. Unfortunately the "turn off your bloody phone" adverts are starting to have a slightly detrimental effect and making people nervous about turning off their phones, and addition encouraging people to be rude to others, in particular the ill-mannered twat in row P, who thought "oi dickhead, turn off your phone" was an acceptable way to talk to someone.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Wolfshade wrote:Remember all the "turn off your phone" shouting was happening BEFORE the films started...
No, it wasn't.
Wolfshade wrote:There's a difference between forcefully telling someone to turn off their force and being a rude insulting twat by calling someone you don't know a dickhead.
But calling someone you don't know a twat is OK?
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Maybe not, but his behaviour warranted that even though I don't know him personally, what goes around comes around, etc.

What do you mean the all the shouting "wasn't" happening before the films? Whenever I heard the "TURN OFF YOUR PHONE" etc yells, it was straight after the lights went down before any films had actually started, I never heard any shouting at all during the films, thus it was likely a lot of the people being shouted at were actually in the process of turning their volume down. Even if you observed another time when their was shouting, you have to admit the vast, vast majority of it occurred the moment the lights went down.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Wolfshade wrote:Maybe not, but his behaviour warranted that even though I don't know him personally, what goes around comes around, etc.

What do you mean the all the shouting "wasn't" happening before the films? Whenever I heard the "TURN OFF YOUR PHONE" etc yells, it was straight after the lights went down before any films had actually started, I never heard any shouting at all during the films, thus it was likely a lot of the people being shouted at were actually in the process of turning their volume down. Even if you observed another time when their was shouting, you have to admit the vast, vast majority of it occurred the moment the lights went down.
Sorry Jonbly, you might well have had a different experience from your position but from where I was sitting Wolfshade is the one getting it pretty much spot on. The shouting I was picking up on was from that same "Oi dickhead!" part of the cinema. Not sure if it was row P as I was central in row O and it certainly wasn't right on top of me. But it was close enough to start winding me (and those around me) up after a few repeat performances. If it had been happening during the film then I'd have said fair enough (not that I could see any phone offenders from where I was sitting) but more often than not it was happening just after the lights had gone down. And it was starting to get on my tits after a while. A couple of years back I heard someone mutter in a low growl "turn your phone off, cunt" and I actually found that quite funny (a) because it was while the film was on and the person on the phone, not that far from me at the end of the row, had their head down and obviously wasn't interested in what was happening on the screen and (b) because the person doing the verbal abusing actually had the balls to go up to them in the aisle and tell them to their face, rather than shouting out across the auditorium and disturbing everybody else. I'm not saying that's an acceptable way to talk to someone but it was done in a manner that disturbed the minimum amount of Frightfesters and, unsurprisingly, it had the desired effect.

At the end of the day it's not that big a deal any more as most people seem to have got the message and it certainly seems far better now than previous Frightfest's. Which is probably why a lot of people are now getting fed up with the enthusiastic shouting as it seems to have taken over from the phone abusers as a major annoyance? Maybe a poll could tell us how people feel about this one generally.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

The only time I was aware of any shouting was during the first few moments of the credits too. There was a girl in front of me (row DD) that could be counted on to get her phone out during the first couple of minutes of any film, and I could see she was putting it on silent each time. She never used it during the films.

As streetrw posted, the bigger problem for disruption this year was people arriving late, compounded by them waving their phones about to find their seats. No "Turn your phone off, dickhead" for them, but arguably their lack of consideration was far more disruptive than someone ensuring their phone wasn't going to ring during a film.
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

DJBenz wrote:The only time I was aware of any shouting was during the first few moments of the credits too. There was a girl in front of me (row DD) that could be counted on to get her phone out during the first couple of minutes of any film, and I could see she was putting it on silent each time. She never used it during the films.

As streetrw posted, the bigger problem for disruption this year was people arriving late, compounded by them waving their phones about to find their seats. No "Turn your phone off, dickhead" for them, but arguably their lack of consideration was far more disruptive than someone ensuring their phone wasn't going to ring during a film.

Yeah, people arriving late annoyed me more than people on phones. Although the more annoying one was someone kept poking me to wake up during some of the films?! :roll: :D
steve806
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by steve806 »

I agree that some shouted to early having not given people the chance to turn off phones and hope that trend does not continue but would not say there were no requests to ask for phones to be switched off once phones .

I had to ask 4 different people to switch their phones off during films over the weekend and did this quietly and politely asking "Can you turn your phone off please?"

I suspect it was just that those asking people to switch off phones during the films just did it more quietly so as not to disturb others.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

streetrw wrote: Last night I walked away from the last local screening of THE LONE RANGER because the place was nearly packed out and a Cineworld audience isn't nearly as considerate with their phones as a FrightFest audience.
I'm still annoyed that only played a week at my local Cineworld before being unceremoniously dumped. Never got a chance to see it and was constantly reminded of it every time I stepped out of the Empire while Frightfest was on as it was playing at our old Odeon West End home directly opposite. Despite all the bad reviews some of the more trustworthy critics (notably Frightfest regular Kim Newman) had a lot of good things to say about it. So I dare say I'll have to wait until the home video release now to see if I dodged a bullet or not. Thank god for large widescreen tellys!
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

This thread is awesome.
The seat to nostril space management of a minging shirt.
The guy who doesnt realise he was being "selfishly"roused from slumber during movies because he was more than likely snoring like a hibernating bear.
The almost polite threats from the underground resistance of phone users that simmer,shrouded in the cinematic gloom.
The battle of semantics headlined by "Dickhead" versus "Twat".
The wonderfully baffling concept of anonymous fame.
Far more entertaining than "Hammer of the gods. "
1300 horror movie geeks in one place means a heavy saturation of comunications technology
I predicted this slide into a phone Nazi state many forum moons ago - when it all ends in wholesale cellphone carnage or when the great tablet takedown of FF2017 comes to pass - i will of course say "I told you so !"
the house shot her !!!