BBFC - A Return to the 80's....

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

BBFC - A Return to the 80's....

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

This news today that the BBFC is going to closely monitor Horror films for Gore and Violence, sounds like the Bloody 80's all over again.
It's not surprising, due to the fact that we have an idiot Tory Government, that we appear to going down the same path. The BBFC has obviously been lent on. It's okay, if its higher certificates, as 18 is right for the majority of Horror films to protect the vulnerable, but "monitoring" does sound,like they are going down the cutting route which is unacceptable in a democracy. Once again Horror Fans are being demonised, along with other minorities, the Tories despise.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: BBFC - A Return to the 80's....

Post by Alex J »

Couldn't agree more - back to the "Video Nasty" era it sounds.

Adults can vote, fight in wars, drive cars (that kill more people a year than horror movies do!), take "legal drugs" (while a blind eye is turned to some illegal ones too), have and look after children, but can't be trusted with the movies they watch! Good to see the Government getting their priorities right! Just as long as we keep sending millions of pounds of aid abroad to countries like North Korea and to others where the people despise the British (Argentina etc), despite Britain being almost bankrupt and getting poorer every day that goes by.....
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Axe
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Axe »

The BBFC will never cut 18 rated horror films again. So you can relax.

I know the BBFC quite well, today's BBFC are more likely to be embarrassed at the way they used to cut films in the past and they certainly won't want to return to those dark days.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

My post become more of a rant than intended, but hopefully people will feel some valid points were raised. Thanks for the reassurances Axe. It would be interesting to know how much the Government influences the BBFC these days... However, my understanding is that 18 cert movies are still sometimes cut and others are refused a certificate. Also, to clarify, I'm sure there are Argentinians who don't hate the British, but given the continued rumblings over the Falklands I'm sure there are plenty who do.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

The reports I read all had the headlines about gore and its effects and horror movies.

But more worrying is reading into it and it makes mention of the internet and social media, so whether the BBFC are making a play to be an online censor as well remains to be seen.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I'm pretty sure this is a non-story. They've said they'll look at the horror elements in films, especially at 12A and 15. It doesn't say, or even suggest, anywhere that they're going to start censoring films with gay abandon. If anything, there might be more films that get rated higher than they previously have been (12As as 15s for instance), but anything that's firmly in 18 will pretty much stay there.