FrightFest 2014

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: FrightFest 2014

Post by sherbetbizarre »

I had a pint in the Imperial today, and the barmaid said it was "news to me" that the place was closing, so let's hope it's bad information. :green: (although she said it will close for *one day* soon while the Empire roof is being repaired.)

What is gone is the McDonald's on L Square, where some FF's could grab a cheap brekky before the day started...
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

sherbetbizarre wrote:If the largest screen is 700 seats, then an obvious solution seems to be sell 700 weekend passes, and keep that screen for premieres and guests. With screens 2-4 for Discovery films and repeats.

But I guess a certain percentage needs to be for day passes... How many weekend passes were onsale last year? Maybe it was over 700?
A cinema exclusively for weekend passholders will make a better atmosphere as that room will usually be packed.
becky1641
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by becky1641 »

I'm new to the forum and have been interested at what's been posted so far!

I was ready to throw a tantrum at the Phoenix last August when the unavoidable 'change' was announced (this was after a few drinks, mind) but have since accepted that it will be different and am looking forward to this year's fest just as much as the last four I've been lucky enough to attend.

My main concern though - as people have already raised - is the seat issue. I think keeping the dedicated ONE seat for weekend pass holders and having them bunched together in one 'main' screen (with the 'best' line-up and Q&As) would be a saving grace. Perhaps the second main screen (I'm winging it now) could be a film or two behind - as I think I read someone say before... though unsynchronized screenings would mean opinions would cross paths before half the crowd had seen it.. tricky.

I have a feeling more screens mean more films, in which case we'll have to battle FOMO, as before when opting for Discovery Screen. Is there a better way this ticketing system can work, though? I haven't the brains to suggest one, but queuing at 9:30am for a DS film is a pain :lol:

Interesting comments though, and I have faith the guys will pull it off. Just remember NO QUEUES, ONE SEAT. :D

Peace.
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

becky1641 wrote:... though unsynchronized screenings would mean opinions would cross paths before half the crowd had seen it.. tricky.
That is a very good point actually. I hadn't thought of that. If this is what happens then we'll need something like different coloured lanyards so that we know who has seen what, to know what to avoid talking about. "Oh, you're a blue strap - I best not talk about that great decapitation scene in Zombie Trash Warriors then!"
Twitter: @ArghZombies
staineve
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by staineve »

I'm actually bang up for having the largest screen retained for weekend pass holders only with the benefits of getting all the special guests etc. Not only would it mean fewer empty seats and therefore a better atmosphere, but we'd be being rewarded for being forking out the most time and cash which is always a good feeling, and it wouldn't have to mean that the second screen (day ticket holders and individual ticket holders) wouldn't get special guests and intros as well.

The obvious drawback of this is that if we have friends that can only come for a day/a film they wouldn't get the same experience, and that people just testing the waters wouldn't either. The drawbacks would be much smaller if the films were synchronised, mind. That'd be the real kicker if the second screen was a film behind.

Discovery Screen is a whole different ballgame which I'm much more nervous about. Some of you seem to be anti booking seats online rather than queuing but I for one would welcome that. Let's face it, we all plan ahead which films we want to see in advance (right?), so if we could actually reserve Disco seats for the whole weekend in advance too, or 1st and second choices, that'd definitely make for a much more relaxing Frightfest.

Anyway that's just my two pennies worth.

P.S. THE IMPERIAL BETTER NOT BE SHUT.
twitter: @staineve
kinotonman
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by kinotonman »

Personally I feel its real shame that London's best cinema has been chopped into two. I'm hoping the vibe that 1400 horror chums once had in a single room can be re-created somehow and not diluted over 4 screens. Heck, even some directors wowed that their film was shown to so many people at one time.

Guess as many have already cited, the best way forward would be to have pass holders in the new IMAX screen 1 (Please, no found footage movie on this new 70ft screen; my breakfast will make an untimely exit)

More choice can't be a bad thing, but like I say will be tinged with sadness.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I forgot the calculation I did about how many weekend passes were actually available in 2013, I think it was around the 600 mark.

If I'm honest, sticking nothing but weekend pass holders in the one big cinema, despite being the closest we will get to the atmosphere of old, it far to elitist for my tastes.

How would you go about selling single film tickets and full day passes to people with the proviso that you probably won't get to see or meet or have any introduction from anyone involved with the film you are about to see?

And running a second screen out of sync with the main would surely mean the last film ending at near 3 in the morning, save losing a film per day?

I like the previously mentioned idea of a Leeds/Reading festival - whereby one set of films is shown on one screen and another full programme is shown on another and then they can swap.

This would mean guest would have to hang around longer, if that is possible, to give intros and Q&A for their films.

Also, if there is a big interview this year, how would that work?

The one thing that will be really different, is the big final film feeling, especially if run over two screens or whatever the final screening scenario is.
kickasschewgum
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by kickasschewgum »

Actually there is an easy solution to staggering the start times of the same film playing over two screens that doesn't require that the films on each screen are offset by the length of an entire film. In fact the London Film Festival has done it very successfully for a few years across the two main screens at the Vue Leicester Square for many of their big screenings.

This solution is to offset the screenings by about 15 minutes so that Screen 2 starts the film 15 minutes or so after Screen 1.

This then allows for an intro on both screens and a 15 mins Q&A on both screens at the end.

And there would be no concerns about the last film of each day running too late into the night or films being spoiled by people talking between the films.

This would also eradicate any suggestion of the 'weekend pass-holder' screen being too elitist.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

15 minutes?! Have you HEARD an Adam Green Q&A!? :P

However, it is a very valid suggestion. With the still present issue of each film needing 2 DCP's. Those puppies aren't cheap.
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Was going to respond about number of copies needed but scoutthehorizon has all ready done that - not that it isn't an option to stagger films of course, so all very valid suggestions.
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

We don't need more than one DCP. There are things called TMS ( Theatre Management Systems) that allow a DCPs to be fed into several screens at the one time.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

iomega wrote:We don't need more than one DCP. There are things called TMS ( Theatre Management Systems) that allow a DCPs to be fed into several screens at the one time.
Seems to hint at what might actually happen...
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

Even in the good old Film days you could spread the same film over two screens. When I worked at an Odeon many years ago they'd do that all the time (unless my memory deceives me) - have two screens next to each-other showing the same film by physically looping it between the two projectors.

Only worked for screens right next to eachother, obviously, but this is what they used to do when they have some of the big films out showing in multiple screens.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

Ah, the joys of interlocking. I remember running three screens at a cinema in London with one 35 mm print in another life.
scoutthehorizon
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scoutthehorizon »

Oh god! Surely there's so much more risk on the film running through 3 projectors?

You may get a kick out of this video, Ian, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPKGNCw7lM

A rare upside of digital prints I guess
mytwocentsfilm.wordpress.com

Twitter @scoutthehorizon