Shockwave Darkside 3D

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Shockwave Darkside 3D

Post by The Aylmer »

I kept thinking of Team America: World Police while watching this junk, in that the grating mind numbing tedium of the images/audio assaulting my senses became so unbearable I tried eating my own head. It can't be done obviously. But I gave it a good go throughout the seeming eternity this drivel was onscreen. I also closed my eyes a number of times to see if the dialogue made more sense or became more engaging in isolation. If anything it made it worse. The last and only time I've walked out of a movie was way back in the late 1970's. And that was only because there was an intermission an hour in and my mates all wanted to get down the pub before closing time. If this had been showing instead I doubt we'd have lasted five minutes. Worst film of 2014 bar none.
powerpopkid
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by powerpopkid »

How much did the team behind Shockwave pay to get this film shown then?
jerichodark
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by jerichodark »

Terrible, terrible film. The 3D made me think I was having a stroke, I was lifting my arms during the film to make sure I wasn't. It felt like somebody had covered one of my eyes throughout.

It comes to something when the very look of a film is the first thing you dislike about it, then came the dialogue (a recipe for chicken soup, click), the story was incomprehensible, the sets looked like a cheaper Space 1999, the costumes looked like Flight of the Conchords' "The Humans are Dead", a main character dies and none of the audience realises until they recognise the character's not in the film anymore and the only question asked by the audience is "How did you shoot the 3D, it gave me a headache".

The best I can say about this film is that the director seemed like a nice bloke. Even though he talked about what he thought worked really well.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

jerichodark wrote:a main character dies and none of the audience realises until they recognise the character's not in the film anymore
I thought I'd been asleep. Which I had. But not, it turned out, during that bit.
spasticus77
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by spasticus77 »

I was told at the fest( i wont say by who) that basically because they considered Banshee Chapter a success the year before they took on this film sight unseen. I could tell that he also thought it was a piece of shit. While this film is completely hopeless i dont think the kicking its getting would be quite as severe if it had at least been a HORROR film. The FF organisers made 3 errors clearly. Showing an unseen film that was alsototally outside the genre of the festival and lastly putting it on the main screen. Its just insane to me considering the films that were moved to disco screens.
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

spasticus77 wrote:I was told at the fest( i wont say by who) that basically because they considered Banshee Chapter a success the year before they took on this film sight unseen. I could tell that he also thought it was a piece of shit. While this film is completely hopeless i dont think the kicking its getting would be quite as severe if it had at least been a HORROR film. The FF organisers made 3 errors clearly. Showing an unseen film that was alsototally outside the genre of the festival and lastly putting it on the main screen. Its just insane to me considering the films that were moved to disco screens.
So we can blame the people who for some reason liked Banshee Chapter. Ironically, I thought that was the worst film last year!
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

"SHOCKWAVE DARKSIDE 3D"

I'm beginning to get worried that when a director is present the film may suck.

First film on in Screen 5 that day. Audience started pretty sparse but filled up.

By the time the lights went up I was the only one left not only on my row but two behind and in front.

I didn't really mind Banshee Chapter, but I thought the 3D was pointless (I think 3D in general is pointless, but that is beside the point) and thought this was another one that fit the bill.

There were times when the screen was so dark it felt like I was sat through that irritating Dr. Caligari trailer, so much of the screen was black.

Basic problems with the film:

Fitting far too much back story into the written text in the first 5 minutes

Introducing characters and then killing them off before they even speak.

Making up an inventive future militaristic space language. That is my number one peeve, if you'd missed the first intro you might have followed the film if you knew what the fuck the characters were saying to each other.

Click, click, click - this word appeared to have 15 different meanings.

Stayed till the end and if I'm honest it actually had a fairly good pay off at the end - but I didn't care at all, I couldn't see at all and I was quite numb by the end.

Bad, definitely, but not hate-able, at least from a storyline, sci-fi other worldly perspective.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

DJBenz wrote: Same producers as last year's Banshee Chapter, so there's your link. I can only imagine no-one on the FF team saw the film in advance and took it on the word of the producers that "Yeah, it's as good as Banshee Chapter, just stick it on".
As I heard it, that's exactly what happened.
"The suspect is armed with a machete in one hand, and his genitals in the other."
pauluspink
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by pauluspink »

Was this shot in native 3D?

The 3D was quite painful on the eyes and occasionally made my vision blurry / out of focus.

This was the first film that I have ever walked out on since attending the very first Frightfest.
I do Special Make-Up Effects & Prosthetics (SFX): Graphic Delusions: Facebook Page
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

pauluspink wrote:Was this shot in native 3D?
It was.
Shot over four years, with stereoscopic 3D in mind from the beginning, Sockwave Darkside is inspired by the storytelling of classic sci-fi literature from the 50s, but with a 21st century 3D twist. It's billed by its producers as "an exciting, thoughtful and timely exploration of the tense collision between faith and reason."

"I envisioned Shockwave as a kind of call-back to the science fiction I grew up with" says writer and director Jay Weisman, "sort of a modern-­day interpretation of the character-­centric morality tales like The Twilight Zone and even some of the 'Lost Patrol' war movies of the 50s. It also occurred to me that is was a unique opportunity to update this kind of storytelling by weaving in visual narrative devices usually found in first-person video games. This also allowed us to take great advantage of the 3D space and give the movie a kind of weird, lonely tension that I hope is very unique and special".
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

So why did it actively try and twist the eyes out of my sockets?

Did we just get a bad print?
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

sherbetbizarre wrote:So why did it actively try and twist the eyes out of my sockets?

Did we just get a bad print?
Maybe it was natively shite 3D?
Biohazard
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Biohazard »

It felt like watching someone playing a very bad game on the original Playstation while listening to first year philosophy students have a mass debate.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Bearded Avenger wrote:So we can blame the people who for some reason liked Banshee Chapter. Ironically, I thought that was the worst film last year!
It wasn't good. (Huh, I gave it 6/10... it hasn't aged well in memory...)