Is Frightfest becoming 'trendy'?

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
horrorkid78
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Is Frightfest becoming 'trendy'?

Post by horrorkid78 »

[Admin Edit: Split off from ticketing thread as veering off-topic.]

I'm worried that Frightfest is becoming too trendy with people thinking its cool to love horror films and stopping real horror fans from going.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: FrightFest 2015 dates for you diary

Post by DJBenz »

horrorkid78 wrote:I'm worried that Frightfest is becoming too trendy with people thinking its cool to love horror films and stopping real horror fans from going.
You'd have to be super-committed to the idea of 'cool' to spend five straight days watching horror movies if you were only a casual fan!
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Best reply DJBenz lol Watching Bad Milo first thing in the morning last year wasn't cool!
horrorkid78
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by horrorkid78 »

DJBenz wrote:
horrorkid78 wrote:I'm worried that Frightfest is becoming too trendy with people thinking its cool to love horror films and stopping real horror fans from going.
You'd have to be super-committed to the idea of 'cool' to spend five straight days watching horror movies if you were only a casual fan!
your comment doesn't make sense because Frightfest is becoming trendy, horror in general is becoming way too trendy these days and I have been a horror fan since I was a kid so I know what I'm talking about.
Deadjilldando
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Deadjilldando »

horrorkid78 wrote:
DJBenz wrote:
your comment doesn't make sense because Frightfest is becoming trendy, horror in general is becoming way too trendy these days and I have been a horror fan since I was a kid so I know what I'm talking about.
He makes a compelling argument.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

horrorkid78 wrote:your comment doesn't make sense because Frightfest is becoming trendy, horror in general is becoming way too trendy these days and I have been a horror fan since I was a kid so I know what I'm talking about.
I've been a horror fan since I was a kid and I'm 8 years older than you, so I know what I'm talking about more. :roll:

Seriously though, I think you're way off the mark if you think that Frightfest is becoming 'trendy'. Sure, there might be a new generation of horror fans attending, but just because they're younger does that mean they're less deserving of being part of the festival? I don't think so. And Frightfest has never been about mainstream horror, it's always the offbeat, the fantastical, the cult, the odd - all the things that wouldn't appeal to the mainstream, 'trendy' as you put it, horror audience.
horrorkid78
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by horrorkid78 »

DJBenz wrote:
horrorkid78 wrote:your comment doesn't make sense because Frightfest is becoming trendy, horror in general is becoming way too trendy these days and I have been a horror fan since I was a kid so I know what I'm talking about.
I've been a horror fan since I was a kid and I'm 8 years older than you, so I know what I'm talking about more. :roll:

hahaha whatever Mr DJ (I'm older than you so I know more) Benz, but if you have your blinkers on and can't see it then you can't it.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

horrorkid78 wrote:hahaha whatever Mr DJ (I'm older than you so I know more) Benz, but if you have your blinkers on and can't see it then you can't it.
Sarcasm's kinda lost on you, huh?
horrorkid78
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by horrorkid78 »

DJBenz wrote:
horrorkid78 wrote:hahaha whatever Mr DJ (I'm older than you so I know more) Benz, but if you have your blinkers on and can't see it then you can't it.
Sarcasm's kinda lost on you, huh?
no not at all but horror is lost on you
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: Is Frightfest becoming 'trendy'?

Post by DJBenz »

horrorkid78 wrote:no not at all but horror is lost on you
Clearly. :roll:

Split off into a separate thread. People can voice their opinions on the assertion that:
horrorkid78 wrote:Frightfest is becoming too trendy with people thinking its cool to love horror films and stopping real horror fans from going.
DeanoG
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by DeanoG »

MalJutley wrote:Best reply DJBenz lol Watching Bad Milo first thing in the morning last year wasn't cool!
Bad Milo was superb !
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Indeed it was superb!
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

It's not that Frightfest is becoming "trendy" its got more to do with the fact that the horror genre is becoming more "accessible" to a wider audience and now more people than ever are being "let in" joining the exclusive "MEMBERS ONLY" club. :)

The fact that 70% of horror films nowadays are more catered to a "wider audience" and for the most part, aren't that good is mute. Frightfest is actually one of, if not THE frontrunner in terms of horror film festivals and is becoming more popular by the year. Nothing stays "exclusive" forever. :)
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

DJBenz wrote: You'd have to be super-committed to the idea of 'cool' to spend five straight days watching horror movies if you were only a casual fan!

This, I love Frightfest but by the time it ends I'm so glad its over (at least for a week or two). My work gave me the name leather-arse for sitting through five days of films.

BTW Bad Milo was brilliant, I see your Bad Milo and raise you Shockwave: Darkside 3D.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Malky wrote:I see your Bad Milo and raise you Shockwave: Darkside 3D.
We don't speak of "the film that shall not be named" any more.