Is Frightfest becoming 'trendy'?

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: FrightFest 2015 dates for you diary

Post by Malky »

DJBenz wrote:
We don't speak of "the film that shall not be named" any more.
Fair point. I know Bad Milo is not for everyone but at least that was on a Disco screen, where you know you are taking a punt into the unknown.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Malky wrote:Fair point. I know Bad Milo is not for everyone but at least that was on a Disco screen, where you know you are taking a punt into the unknown.
I actually wandered in to "the film that shall not be named" late because my watch had stopped. I *thought* I'd missed the first five minutes, but I think it was more like 30. Had no clue what was going on and left after another 10. I think I got away lightly; those that saw the whole thing had no idea either. :lol:
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Is Frightfest becoming 'trendy'?

Post by Malky »

I had walked out by the 30 minute mark.I was in the Arrow screen so it was our first film of the day and I hopefully warned people of it during my next Disco screening as I told a few randoms it was woeful.I'm unsure whether they listened to the mad Scotsman who was half cut 12pm but at least I tried.

Watching Shitwave was like being forced to watch someone play a 1st person shooter 1/3 of the way through the game without context.

Anyway back on topic sitting through five days of films for anyone is one hell of a slog so I don't think it will become trendy but horror is more accessible than ever before with video on demand etc so I can see Frightfest having a wider appeal than they otherwise would. The Glasgow event is becoming more popular and having the Halloween event across a number of venues may pique peoples interest. I went two two Glasgow events and had a a ball before deciding to take the London plunge.
thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by thatcambridgebird »

I actually have nothing useful to add; I'm just sad that the rest of this thread didn't continue with the comedy, posts of Benz and the hilarious replies from the OP which have had me snorting into my desk for the past few minutes. :lol:
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

DJBenz wrote:We don't speak of "the film that shall not be named" any more.
Dodged that bullet and got to see Preservation, a film that should be named.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

thatcambridgebird wrote:I actually have nothing useful to add; I'm just sad that the rest of this thread didn't continue with the comedy, posts of Benz and the hilarious replies from the OP which have had me snorting into my desk for the past few minutes. :lol:
Yeah, for a post that had to be split off for going off-topic I think I need to split another one off called 'Shockwave Darkside was rubbish, eh?' :)
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

could set a trend... t-shirts for "I sat through SW:D and I survived" maybe?
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Ah now lets not forget Wolfcop! :lol:
bacchus
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bacchus »

DJBenz wrote:
Malky wrote:I see your Bad Milo and raise you Shockwave: Darkside 3D.
We don't speak of "the film that shall not be named" any more.
:lol:

Memories, such bad memories.

I think the only thing that can destroy what FrightFest stands for is itself. Less mainstream, more independent, festival fodder "off the beaten path". There has been an increase in 'mainstream', genre-crossing films shown at FrightFest. I'm thinking films like R.I.P.D, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For etc

FrightFest needs to return to its roots, real genre gems that wouldn't normally get a wider release instead of settling for mainstream PG-13 stuff which is clearly only there to either a) provide funds for the festival due to showing a high profile release b) appeal to a wider audience.

Other than that, I think we're good. Last year was probably the best year so far in terms of the quality/profile of films chosen.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

bacchus wrote:FrightFest needs to return to its roots, real genre gems that wouldn't normally get a wider release instead of settling for mainstream PG-13 stuff which is clearly only there to either a) provide funds for the festival due to showing a high profile release b) appeal to a wider audience.
To be fair, I think there may be contractual obligations involved in some of the films that hit the main screen.
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

DJBenz wrote:
bacchus wrote:FrightFest needs to return to its roots, real genre gems that wouldn't normally get a wider release instead of settling for mainstream PG-13 stuff which is clearly only there to either a) provide funds for the festival due to showing a high profile release b) appeal to a wider audience.
To be fair, I think there may be contractual obligations involved in some of the films that hit the main screen.
I think it's always been the case - this is not exclusive by any means:
FF2000 - Scary Movie
FF2001 - Scary Movie 2, Kiss Of The Dragon
FF2202 - Halloween: Resurrection, Donnie Darko, One Hour Photo, Insomnia (Nolan version)
FF2003 - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Cabin Fever
And beyond - Hellboy, 1408, Red Eye, Death Race... even Pan's Labyrinth was high profile!

Not complaining myself, I enjoyed at least parts of all those (even *some* bits of Scary Movie 2!)
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

AndyJWS wrote:Not complaining myself, I enjoyed at least parts of all those (even *some* bits of Scary Movie 2!)
For sure, if we have to sit through a mainstream title to get a lower profile gem then I'm all for it. :)
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

I think the point about more mainstream films in recent years is way off the mark. There were maybe 2 - 3 years with no mainstream films, but that's it. Traditionanlly the mainfilm for each day has always been a more mainstream/studio film.

For me this the same as the complaints about FF losing out to the London Film Festival - 2 or 3 genre films being shown there is nothing.
MissChainsaw13
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by MissChainsaw13 »

The way to pick out the true fans from the wannabes is by looking at the T-Shirt. The more obscure, the more vintage they are! ;)
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by 27052014 »

:twisted: I think it's time the organisers thought of a new name for the festival.
People associate it with horror movies but I discovered quite early on that few actual horror movies are shown.
Maybe at the end of next year's festival they can promote this.