Films for Frightfest August 2015

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
bacchus
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Films for Frightfest August 2015

Post by bacchus »

'Summer Camp' and the 'Martyrs' remake look safe bets for FF15 - the posters for these have featured on two days worth of Postcards from Cannes this year.

Last year, most posters /images featured in the 2014 Postcards from Cannes were for films that went on to show at FF (Honeymoon, Wolfcop, Zombeavers, Dead Snow 2, The Guest, Housebound).

If this is the case, I am looking forward to both Summer Camp and the Martyrs remake although nothing can beat the French original.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

bacchus
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bacchus »

I'd put my mortgage on these based on various clues (postcards from xxxx) and the directors previously having had other films shown at FF...

99.9% sure:
-Howl (UK film - possible world premiere? directed by Paul Hyett who's film 'The Seasoning House' was shown at FF2012, mentioned a lot on the FF Twitter page)
-Summer Camp (mentioned in the postcards a lot, producer is the same producer of 'Sleep Tight', and [Rec] shown at FF previously)
-Night Fare (been suspiciously talked up a lot in the postcards)
-German Angst (mentioned in the postcards previously, fits the weekend as one of the more leftfield choices)

I'm pretty confident we may see these but not as certain as the above ones...
-Martyrs (remake) (mentioned in the postcards, original film was shown in FF2008)
-Cooties (release date in USA is mid-September, no UK release date)
-Hellions (by the director of 'Pontypool', had a good reception at Sundance in January and just been acquired for the UK by StudioCanal)

Wishful thinking (probably not but would be very happy if they were shown):
-Harbinger Down (with Lance Henriksson turning up as a guest)
-Dark Star (the documentary about Alien/Species creator H.R Giger)
-The Gallows (REALLY want to see this but not hopeful of it being shown at FF)
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Now the Postcards from Cannes have almost drawn to a close, I thought I'd post a digest of the films mentioned:

Most likely for Frightfest
HOWL - mentioned a few times. As noted previously, this is probably the film with the single highest probability of playing Frightfest.
NIGHT FARE - mentioned very positively in several of the postcards.
SKYSHARKS - zombies on flying sharks. Poster on the Day 4 postcard
SUMMER CAMP - Alan: "gory, scary and entertaining with a nice line in witty visuals." Poster on Day 2 postcard.
MARTYRS - talked about in moderately postive terms by all three of the guys. The poster is shown on the Day Three postcard.
WE ARE STILL HERE - Talked about very positively in the opening postcard.
THE ROTTEN LINK - Very positive notice from Alan, including "watch this space".
GREEN ROOM - raves from all three of the guys, but may be in demand for the London Film Festival.
SCHERZO DIABOLICO - Paul: "I absolutely adored [it]"
TALES OF HALLOWEEN - Anthology from several Frightfest regulars.
CHERRY TREE - Paul: "a pleasant surprise with FF fave Anna Walton vamping and glamming it up"
THE CORPSE OF ANNA FRITZ - Alan: "crowd-pleaser"

Some possibility
DEATHGASM - New Zealand rock'n'roll splatter comedy.
YAKUZA APOCALYPSE - Takashi Miike vampire-crime film.
TURBO KID - A post-apocalyptic sci-fi. Apparently has a lot of gore so could play.
TALE OF TALES - described by Alan on twitter as "a sumptuous dazzler, the MARTYRS of fairy tale adaptations," but seems more like something for the London Film Festival.
I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER - "a teenage boy hunting down a supernatural murderer"
MUSE - Supernatural thriller from Frightfest regular Jaume Balaguero
DEMON HOLE - "a horror comedy about a fracking crew drilling on an ancient Native American burial ground"
ROAD GAMES - "two hitch hikers at the mercy of what seems to be a demented couple living in a huge mansion near Calais"
BONE TOMAHAWK - horror western starring Kurt Russell.
BANJO - made by Frightfest regulars. Ian: "full of promise... [but] too long". Maybe a Discovery Screen choice?
SWEET HOME - Home-invasion. Paul: "reasonable and a bunch more besides".
SEOUL STATION - South Korean animated zombies. Paul: "enjoyable enough".
BODY - Positive review from Alan.
DEMENTIA - Only one mention in the opening postcard that it was on the screening schedule
DEEP DARK - ditto

Others
COLOSSAL - Anne Hathaway in a Nacho Vigalondo giant monster film. Hasn't entered production yet.
THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE III (FINAL SEQUENCE) - As mentioned before, it's being released in June.
ELLE - "the new Paul Verhoeven thriller"
I AM WRATH - "John Travolta in crazed assassin mode"
WRECKER - "a female DUEL spin"
AMERICAN HERO - quirky superhero comedy.
KRAMPUS THE CHRISTMAS DEVIL - Currently rated 2.1 with 330 votes on IMDb, so unlikely to meet even the admittedly flexible Frightfest standards.
BUNKER OF THE DEAD 3D - 3D found footage zombies. Paul: "did nothing for me at all". Main screen on Friday morning, then?
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

And also, the films mentioned in Alan's Postcards from the Berlinale:

Children of the Night - Argentine vampire fantasy
The Hallow by Corin Hardy (forest dwelling monsters)
Nasty Baby
Summer Camp by Alberto Marini
The Nightmare by Rodney Ascher (doc about sleep paralysis)
Angelica
The Messenger
Tiger House
La Isla Minima/Marshland (Spanish serial killers)
Goddess of Love (from the makers of Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer & The Shrine. A woman goes mad when her lover leaves her)
The Walking
Deceased
Leatherface (Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury)
The Forbidden Room (2015)
Freshwater (albino crocodiles)
It Came from the Desert (mutant ants)
Unnatural (bio-engineered polar bear)
Stung (giant wasps)
The Confines (female security guard in an apartment block)
Ghoul (Ukrainian serial killer)
Turbo Kid (2015)
Bunker of the Dead
Night Fare
Lambs Have Teeth (Spit on Your Grave riff with two protagonists)
Deathgasm
Blackburn
Inner Demons
June
Into the Deep
German Angst (Alan loved it)
Soldiers of the Damned
One & Two
The Diabolical
A Monster Calls
We Are Still Here
Knock, Knock (Eli Roth's update of the 1977 house invasion shocker Death Game)
Attack of the LederhosenZombies
Sky Sharks (Nazi Zombies in Shark-shaped Zeppelins)
Another World (yet another Israeli zombie flick)
Blood Ransom (Twilight style vampire saga)
Angelica (from the director of Teeth; Jena Malone is a Victorian lady who manifests a supernatural sexual predator. Alan hated it, but that's no guarantee that it won't turn up on the Discovery Screen)
Hellions (from Pontypool director Bruce McDonald, thugs try to steal a woman's baby)
bacchus
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bacchus »

ChrisReynolds wrote:KRAMPUS THE CHRISTMAS DEVIL - Currently rated 2.1 with 330 votes on IMDb, so unlikely to meet even the admittedly flexible Frightfest standards.
*cough* Sh***w**e Da**s**e *cough*
bacchus
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bacchus »

This year feels a bit of a strange one.

Last few years there have been some huge genre films that had ridiculous amounts of hype in the build up to FF. Films that wowed audiences wherever they were shown and lots on here were anticipating/hoping would be shown at FrightFest. This years feels strangely absent - there isn't a single film that has unanimously wowed festival goers worldwide in the lead up to FrightFest. Nothing that has appeared at Sundance, Cannes etc that was the 'must see' film this year - either due to being critically praised or due to shock factor. For example, last year was 'The Guest', 'The Babadook' and 'It Follows'. Previous year in 2013 it was 'You're Next', 2012 it was 'Maniac', 2011 it was 'Don't Be Afraid of the Dark' etc.

I'm thinking of films like 'It Follows', 'The Guest', 'You're Next', 'The Green Inferno', 'Coherence', 'Maniac', 'The Babadook', 'Don't be Afraid of the Dark', 'A Serbian Film', 'The Human Centipede 1/2'. Doesn't look like we will get 'The Human Centipede 3' as it will probably be released before then if it pleases the censors enough.

I was really looking forward to watching 'The Green Inferno', 'The Guest', 'Coherence', 'The Babadook' etc last year, those films were just getting talked about constantly by everyone at almost every festival.

Anyone else think this year feels a bit 'hype-less'?

Still think we'll have an amazing program of films to watch, and in a strange way it makes it all the more interesting that we'll find a hidden gem from so many films that we don't really know a great deal about.
Deadjilldando
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Deadjilldando »

Deathgasm will be playing, the producers tweeted out about it, although Team FF were quick to shoot it down.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

bacchus wrote:Doesn't look like we will get 'The Human Centipede 3' as it will probably be released before then if it pleases the censors enough.
It's been passed uncut and will hit DVD on 13th July, so definitely not a FF title.
Anyone else think this year feels a bit 'hype-less'?
Perhaps, but I find that hype usually kills films for me, so I'm happier going in with as little advance opinion as possible.
Deadjilldando wrote:Deathgasm will be playing, the producers tweeted out about it, although Team FF were quick to shoot it down.
Shhh! :lol:
bacchus
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bacchus »

DJBenz wrote:It's been passed uncut and will hit DVD on 13th July, so definately not a FF title
I have removed my own stupid remark.
Last edited by bacchus on Sun May 24, 2015 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Critter Egg
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Critter Egg »

bacchus wrote:
I have just watched The Human Centipede 3 through "other means". Let's just say the FF crowd won't be missing out. Terrible film, not a patch on THC1/2. It feels watered down and sugar coated with 'Hollywood' violence. Nothing if any real controversy, certainly not a patch on THC2 in terms of shock value
However bad the reviews are I still really want to see HC3 on the big screen. Here's hoping for a special Tom Six marathon event from the FrightFest team this July.
"What's that you've got on your feet there?""Good Guy PJ Sneakers!"
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

Post by iomega »

This really pisses me off. "I watched the Human Centipede 3 by other means" The film is not legally available in the UK and you are boasting about pirating the film, what are you on?
bacchus
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by bacchus »

iomega wrote:This really pisses me off. "I watched the Human Centipede 3 by other means" The film is not legally available in the UK and you are boasting about pirating the film, what are you on?
No "pirating" took place whatsoever. I apologise if that is what came across in my message. I have edited my original message to clear up any misinterpretation and I have sent you a PM.
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by STun »

I really hope we get Green Room as I loved the directors previous movie Blur Ruin

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ma ... ck-stewart

Also hoping for
- Cooties
- The Witch
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

The Truth or Dare team are back with Mania, a fucked up lesbian love story...

http://horrorpedia.com/2015/05/24/mania-2015/